*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1841428-Reality-or-Magic
Rated: E · Preface · Fantasy · #1841428
This is the finished preface to my current project. It expresses why magic is real for me.
         Far beyond the tiny confines of our puny universe with it's miserly trillion-billion galaxies, farther even than the boundaries that mark the beginning and end of time and space, and much further, beyond the infinity of eternities that one after another and side by side, make up the imponderable magnificence of all that exists: There is a point of nothingness, that is so near it could be floating in the air above this page.

         From this impossible point of nothingness issues forth the totality of everything. All that was, and is, and shall be. Inscrutably immeasurable, indescribably magnificent, mighty and impalpable. From it and through it the fabric of existence is woven on the loom of creation, layer upon layer of infinite dimensions whose vibrant energy resonates throughout all existence in a harmonic symphony of unimaginable complexity. Dimensions within dimensions. Worlds within worlds. Realities within realities. It is Omnipotence, infinite power to create and uncreate. It tears universes apart, and makes moonlight dance on water. It squeezes the mass of galaxies into a grain of sand, and whispers passion into the poet's heart. It obliterates worlds in an instant, and makes a stolen kiss linger forever. It is every singularity, and every stirring breath of life.

         There are as many realities throughout the dimensions of existence as there are imaginings in the minds of those who occupy them, each spun from the same dimensional fabric on its own singular phase in time and space. Ours is one rather boring example—from our own point of view. But even our imperfect world possesses an infinite diversity of realities. Like a hall of mirrors that bend and stretch light over their twisted contours, each creating its own uniquely distorted reflection of the same image, so each world in our multiplicity of alternate realities, is a unique convolution of the infinite array of outcomes shaped by the contours of existence. We experience reality in just one convolution of a limitless matrix of endless possibilities, where even the impossible eventually becomes inevitable. The mundane turns unthinkably absurd, chance transforms into purpose and logic leads to nonsense, truth is found to be untrue, round is flat, darkness radiates light, chaos slips into order and death precedes life. Could a place exist where nothing is impossible? And could something impossible exist in such a place? Perhaps not, but these questions only serve to illuminate the contrite nature of the human condition, one in which we can so easily contrive situations that far transcend our capacity for understanding, and lead us instead into confusing paradoxes and irreconcilable contradictions. Yet, it is the most fortunate and privileged of conditions, because where perception and understanding are quickly sucked down into the vortex of impossibility, conception gives birth to imagination and the act of creation begins to fill the void.

         In this astonishing human faculty, the ability to create, which has coloured every thread and sewn every stitch of the magnificent and monumental tapestry of human culture, lies the essence of what makes humanity a true and worthy progeny of omnipotence, and larger than the sum of it's parts. We build universes and proliferate them with colour, depth and meaning. We shape worlds and give them life. We create characters and direct the destiny of their lives, sharing with them in their sorrows, their joys, their enchantments and their adventures. Through and by the fruits of our own inventiveness, which we call technology, we manipulate the invisible elemental forces of our reality to create a virtual reality of our own—the world-wide-web. In so doing we imbue our planet with a consciousness of its own. We alone in our world possess the power to subdue the elements, to create and destroy, and we shall never stop. It is our nature and our purpose in possessing a creative power whose only constraint is set by the ever-expanding limits of conception. Of all the amazing faculties that enable the human mind to enrich itself and exceed itself and delight in its own existence, imagination is that impossible point of nothingness from where issues forth the totality of everything—and that's... MAGIC!
© Copyright 2012 GranvilleS (granvilles at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1841428-Reality-or-Magic