*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1842451-The-summer-of-1994
by Matty
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Romance/Love · #1842451
One morning they decide to tell their grandchildren how they met.
Word count: 295

“Do you want to hear how I met your grandfather?” The old lady in the armchair closest to the fire asked. Soon she’d gathered a crowed of four or five people. Including an older man leaning against the wall.

“It was the summer of 1994, I had just turned seventeen. I was young, beautiful-“

“You still are.” The men against the wall interjected. A slight, absentminded smile on his face.

The woman smiled and reached to grab the little locked that hung around her neck. “and heartbroken. My first boyfriend had just broken up with me before I left for summer camp. Back then, I had no idea how to live on.” She let the sentence trail off, still clutching the locked.

“What  kind of camp did you go to Nana?” A little girl with red curls asked her.

“I went to a musical camp, dear.” She replied while petting the girls' curls.

“I loved to act, still do. But they don’t really let old people like me play anymore. “  She and the old men laughed lightly.

“The night I met your grandfather, I had snuck out to go swimming in the moonlight. He seemed to have the same idea.” A mischievous grin spread over her face.

“I hadn’t bothered to get my swimwear and was wearing only a towel to the water’s edge. Just like you grandfather.  We did not meet until we both a came out of the water.” She sighed. “I remember so well. He did not say a word, he only touched my cheek with the softness of a feather and I knew I was in love. That never changed.”

The old men walked up to the chair, took the women’s hand and kissed it.

“Never will.” He whispered.
© Copyright 2012 Matty (matty at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1842451-The-summer-of-1994