*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1842875-As-the-Sun-Sets
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Relationship · #1842875
Lucius fell in love with the wrong woman, and now he must pay the ultimate price.
~Writers note: This was to be the last chapter of the novel I am writing... but I believe it would make a good short story in itself. Please enjoy.~

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As the sun set on the horizon, the mystical city of Atlantis was lit by a lovely red glow. Lucius stood on the high courtyard platform outside the main Palace throne room. Tonight was his last night in the city. So much had happened over the last few years, he did not regret one single bit of it. Well, maybe one thing.

It all started when he met her. She was the unobtainable women, but somehow, he had fallen in love with her. She had the most infectious smile and, his heart skipped a beat every time he looked into her bright blue eyes. She was the embodiment of beauty, with her long light brown hair and slender figure.

Rhianna was her name. She was a Princess of Atlantis, the eldest daughter of the King and Queen. The only people that were allowed to marry her were other members of Royalty. Although he was a Lord of Atlantis and sat on the Council of Elders, it was still forbidden. It was a crime that held a mighty cost, and he was about to find out that cost.

As he stood reflecting on the way things had happened, a gentle cough came from behind him.

“My Lord,” The voice of the guard said. “The Council are ready for you now.”

He turned to the guard and nodded. Looking out one last time at the majestic view, he proceeded to walk into the Throne room. Once through the doors he was greeted with the faces of the council members. People, who he once classed as his friends and equals, now looked down on him and shunned him. He was nothing to them but a common criminal.

He stood in the centre of the room and looked towards the thrones. The King and Queen were there, sorrow and disappointment in their eyes. Rhianna stood behind them, tears in those beautiful eyes. Her love for him had been as strong as his love for her had been. He stood tall, he body trying to hold and show as much strength as possible.

When everyone in the room was seated and ready, the Council Leader stood up and began the proceedings.

“Lord Lucius Aulan. You are charged with breaking the laws of Atlantis and conduct unbecoming a member of the Council of Elders. Do you wish to say anything before the tribunal passes its verdict?”

Lucius stood and looked round the room, staring into the eyes of these people he thought he knew. He realized that he did not know these people any more. In their eyes what he once saw as friendship, there was now nothing. He looked once more at Rhianna.

“Yes I do.” He stated. “I have pleaded guilty to the charges. Yes, I fell in love. Yes, it was wrong. But we can not help who we fall in love with.” He took a deep breath. “I look around this room at every single one of you and I see nothing. I do not recognise who any of you are. I was once a member of this council. I was once the King’s most trusted advisor. People who were once my friends have now turned their backs on me. Have none of you done something wrong before?”

He turns to the King and looks him dead in the eyes.

“Your Majesty, I know this crime is a serious one. I know that you had plans for your daughter to marry a person of royal blood. I am ready and willing to face the consequences of my actions. But I shall not apologize for what I have done. Yes, I love your daughter more than life itself. I knew that from the first instance I laid eyes on her.”

A single tear falls down his face as he closes his eyes to remember that day. He re-opens his eyes and continues.

“I never once did any of it to hurt yourself or the Queen. Neither did Rhianna. It was not her fault. The blame should solely fall on me. My life belongs to you now, as it always has. I was always your humble servant, and I shall be until the day I die. All I ask is that the judgement of this court is swift and fair. And not prejudiced because of my words in here in recent months. And I still stand by what I said.”

He nods his head respectfully at the Royal family and then steps back. As he does so, the King rises.

“Lucius.” He starts. “My dear old friend, you have been my counsel for many years. So many times have we sat and talked and given advice to each other over the many years. You were like a brother to me. That is why, this next bit is so hard to say. The heresy that you have been spreading over the recent months, is too hard to ignore. Coupled with these latest charges of your affair with my daughter, I feel that this must be the end.”

The King steps down from the Throne and moves closer to Lucius.

“The punishment for your crime of heresy is death, as you know. But as you also know, the King may have leniency on the accused if he so wishes. So it comes to this.” He places a hand on Lucius’ shoulder briefly and then moves back to the throne and sits down. “Lord Lucius Aulan, it is the sentence of this court, that you are to be stripped of your rank and title, and are to be here and now banished from this country. You are to be taken from this place and put on a ship,  and you are never to set foot here again. This is my ruling, the matter is now closed. ”

He motions to the guards, and they come to escort Lucius out. With one last glance round the room, his eyes focus on Rhianna. Tears fall down her face as her love is led from the room. All the way walking through the Palace, he burns Rhianna’s image into his mind. One day he will return for her, one day he will come back and take her away from all of this. He will take her to a land where they can be happy and free.

The journey to the docks was a quiet one. Not a word was spoken by anyone as he was led through the city. The streets were deserted, not a soul was about. Lucius was a man of the people, but once they had found out about what had happened, they also turned their backs on him.

The ship was waiting in the port when they arrived. He couldn’t help but laugh at the name of the ship as he boarded, the Destiny. It was aptly named as it was taking him to his new destiny. A new life in a far off land awaited him, a land that had so much potential. Lucius had all the knowledge of Atlantis in his mind, and he shall teach the world to be a better place.

He was too busy thinking to himself, he hardly noticed that the ship had set sail. He forced himself one last look at Atlantis, one last look at his old life. He looked up towards the mountain with the Palace on. In the distance he saw a small speck of someone watching him. As the ship got further and further away from the island, the person got smaller and smaller, until finally they were gone.

He closed his eyes and let the tears fall down his face. He pictured the happy and smiling face of Rhianna in his mind. There had been so much happiness over the past few years, and so much pain over the past few months. But he no longer looked to the pain, he looked forward to the happiness. He opened his eyes just in time to see Atlantis fade into the horizon. He choked back the tears and found his voice to say one last thing. These words would remain with him through the years, one simple sentence, said out loud, heard by no-one, but at the same time heard by everyone.

“I will return my love.”
© Copyright 2012 DJ Angel (djangel at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1842875-As-the-Sun-Sets