*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1843060-Truer-Words-Were-Never-Spoken
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest · #1843060
Writers Cramp Entry 01/24/12
He was an educated man. Some would even go as far as to call him intelligent. Yet, the big black hole in his head was infuriating to him. Why was it so hard for him to express gratitude to an employee he valued; an employee whom had dedicated 10 faithful years of his life to the same company. A work ethic like Adam’s could not be taught.



Ten years is a long time, a decade. You spend a decade working with someone you learn a lot about that person. You learn about their determination, their commitment to succeed. You learn about their ideals, their principles and what makes them tick. All of which are important traits to know about your employee.



But you also get to learn about their family, when they get married and divorced too. You know when their kids get sick and need to stay home from school. You know when they need just a few days off because their dad passed away; so they need a little extra time with their mother. But no matter what their work would get done; and without flaws like always; come Monday it would be back to work as usual.



There were days his world were filled with so many words; endless meetings about meetings. So why today when he really needed the words would they not come? He respected Adam; appreciated his loyalty and the friendship they had developed in the last ten years. He had not only been the “boss” he had learned a great deal as well. Why couldn’t he just tell him?



Was it the room full of people listening that bothered him? Maybe, but they all knew this man as well. New his leadership, his importance to the company; knew the influence he had made in their lives as well. It was remarkable to be around such a successful person; who humbly earned only respect not the animosity you expect others might feel. There were times he prided himself for hiring such a man; for knowing from the moment he met Adam only value would be added by hiring him. But the glory was not his; it was Adam’s.



He glanced at his watch knowing his stalling was almost up. Looking around the room he appreciated the commaradie he saw. Some People were smiling, laughing sharing remember when’s with each other. Others were eating the “Way to Go Adam” cake his secretary had ordered. Then there were the others who wanted to make sure they got a chance to say congratulations to the man of the hour. They wanted to make sure he knew they appreciated him as well.

He chuckled to himself realizing he was worried for nothing. The words after all were just words; the words were not what was important. It was suddenly as clear to him as the windows lining the board room; it didn’t matter what words he chose to say about Adam. The man’s ethics and attitude about life clearly spoke for themselves.





© Copyright 2012 hopefullongshot (sjagirl97 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1843060-Truer-Words-Were-Never-Spoken