*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1843354-Tempting-the-Devil
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Women's · #1843354
Justice delayed is not justice denied.
Annie met the gaze of the handsome stranger across the night club. She had sensed his eyes on her all evening while she danced. She sauntered across the room until she stood before him.

“Would you like to dance?” Annie flashed her sexiest smile.

“You are very tempting.” He appeared to consider her invitation. “Yes, I would.”

Later that evening, having allowed him to walk her home, Annie asked him in for a drink. He accepted. Annie entered her apartment with him close behind her and had no time to react when his fist slammed into her face. She was in and out of consciousness until he finished.  Annie cracked open one swollen eye and saw him looming over her.

“Why? Why did you do this to me?”  She whispered hoarsely through battered lips.

“You should have known not to tempt the devil.” He turned and left her alone.

The events that followed were discouraging. The detectives did not seem concerned when Annie expressed fear he would return. “Perhaps you should move,” they suggested. “Or get a dog.”

Several months passed without incident. One day Annie thought she glimpsed her assaulter in a restaurant but wasn’t sure. Tonight she believed she spotted him on the crowded subway. Am I being followed? She got off at the next stop and walked home.

As Annie opened her door, she was shoved hard and stumbled into the room. She knew instantly it was her attacker. Annie turned to face him and smiled as a low menacing growl stopped him in his tracks.  “Kill,” she ordered. A shadow launched upward from floor, knocking the intruder down, going for his jugular. Annie met the eyes of her assailant as the Doberman tore out his throat.

“Sometimes you have to tempt the devil to get justice.”
© Copyright 2012 Maggie McCullough (fiare at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1843354-Tempting-the-Devil