*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1843608-Chocolate-Bar
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Horror/Scary · #1843608
Horror contest entry.
“Is anyone there?”
“How is it you've survived this long? Is anyone there?! You're expecting one of them to answer?”
“I'm sorry. I just thought-”
“Well, don't think. Just move. We need to find a place to hole up. I'll cover our rear. Watch out for holes in the floor. If you break your leg I'm leaving you behind.”
“I'll be careful. Can I have a gun?”
“What good would it do you? Not like it would kill one of them.”
“Then why do you carry them?”
“There are still things out there that die by the bullet and I like to keep my options open.”
“Other humans?”
“How many other humans have you seen lately? Hell kid, I thought you were some kind of mirage standing on the edge of the building like that. What the hell were you doing up there like that? You want to die?”
“No. I just wanted to look around.”
“How the hell you've survived... It's a fucking miracle is what it is. Watch that. It's water rotted.”
“I see it. Help me step over.”
“Yeah sure. What's this? Chocolate? You've got chocolate? Holy shit! A fucking Hershey Bar.”
“That's mine. Give it back.”
“Where did you get this? Fuck that's good.”
“I found a vending machine that had tipped on it's front. I guess others had assumed it had already been emptied.”
“Do you have anymore?”
“Most of it has been eaten.”
“Most of it? Where's the rest?”
“I have to save it for the others?”
“Others- Why do I feel funny?”
“The others I find.”
“What are -s- What did.”
“I was waiting for you on that building. You or someone like you. Someone finds me and then they take my chocolate bar. Then they come. It's how I've survived.”
“Ffff... ta... fu...”
“It's the poison. Don't be afraid. It won't kill you. You won't even fall asleep. Your body just stops doing what you want it to do. It's how they first got me. I guess they thought I was too small for eating. You're not though. You're so big and strong. They'll like you. Do you hear them? They followed my trail. I can see you want to scream. The way your eyes are bulging and your veins are angry. It's okay. I'd be mad too. You know what though? I would have led you away. I would have shown you to where the others went. The ones that didn't take my chocolate bar.”
© Copyright 2012 Nick Johnson (nickjohnson at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1843608-Chocolate-Bar