*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1843762-Meeting-At-The-Mall
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Young Adult · #1843762
Dad describes how he and Mom met.

"What a time to have forgotten my pencil."

"The girl of my dreams had given me the 'call me' sign, and traced her phone number in the fogged up window of the car she was in.  I needed to write it down somehow."

"I know you kids will have a hard time understanding what I'm talking about.  With your smart phones, texting, and Facebook.  Something as simple as getting someone's phone number doesn't sound like much.  But believe me, when your Mom and I met, it was a big deal."

I remember it like it was yesterday.  Not that I felt the need to provide my kids with the details, I remembered them all.

It was December.  The Christmas decorations had started going up.  The colored lights were sparkling on the snow.  I'd gone to the Mall with my parents, not planning to buy anything.  Just to hang.  Hopefully, they'd be getting me some presents.

"Meet us at this exit at 9:00," Mom said as we separated.  At sixteen, they trusted me on my own at the Mall, although not yet enough to let me drive there by myself.  Not that a family mini-van would be all that hot.

A quick circuit of both floors to see if anything unusual was happening.  Nothing.  No big surprise.  A Santa for the little kids in the center of the Mall.  Lots of lights, trees, and Christmas music.

So, I headed for the video game hall the management had installed in the hope of keeping those of us just hanging out of the way of the real shoppers.

When the game hall first went in, it was just a bunch of loser guys blasting away at space invaders.  Recently, the games had gotten better, they added a variety of food outlets, and repositioned some clothes shops that the girls liked right next door.  Now, guys went there hoping for all kinds of games.

"Hey Chuck," I heard.  Turning, I saw Rich coming toward me.  Rich is OK, but a little rough around the edges.

"Rich," I said, "how you doin?"

"Fine, fine." Rich seemed in a hurry.  "Come on.  Hot ladies."

Well, Rich wouldn't have been my first choice for a teaming effort.  Hair a little greasier then the current fashion.  Clothes a little sloppier.  But if the girls were hot, it would be worth it.

"Hi girls, let me introduce Chuck," Rich started out.  "Chuck this is Ann, Sue, and Debbie."  Not the best line in the book, but I've heard worse.

Debbie immediately caught my eye.  More than cute.  Long hair, blue eyes, wearing an outfit that showed what she had.

We cruised the video hall as a group before ending up in the snack area.  None of us were hard core gamers.

"I don't know about anyone else, but I could eat," I said.  "How about you guys?"

"Sure," Rich replied, "let's all get what we want and meet at that table over there."

Not only a cheap bastard, but not the way to impress.  I waited until the group started to split up, then followed after Debbie.

"What would you like Deb?" I asked.  "My treat."

"Is this like a first date?" she laughed.

"We can count it that way," I replied, laughing too.

Burgers and sodas in hand, we made it back to the table with the rest of the group.  As we chow'd down, Ann smirked at me.

"Was that a pick up I saw?" She asked.

"Not at all," I answered.  "I'm a Martian and we behave differently."

"A Martian?" Debbie laughed.

"Sure, let me show you.  Touch your finger tips to mine," I said, holding my hand up with my fingers spread apart.  Debbie hesitated, then held her hand up touching my finger tips with hers.

"OK," I said.  "We Martians aren't that different from you Earthlings.  We share a lot.  We like the same food for example.  One way that we differ is in having sex."

"Having sex?"  Debbie kind of laughed.

"Yes," I said, "we have sex through our finger tips, and thanks."

She pulled away, but was a good sport.  Laughing with the rest, she replied.

"Well, they say opposites attract, so I hope you meet somebody who is good looking, honest, and smart."

We all were laughing so hard that some of our food almost fell on the floor.

"Wow," Ann suddenly spoke up, "look at the time.  Almost 9:00.  I've got to meet my parents."

Turned out we all did.  I tried to leave with Debbie, to at least get her phone number.  But it didn't work out.

Then luck brought our cars together in the line of traffic leaving the Mall.  Only I didn't have a pencil to write down her number. 

"But Dad," my daughter said, "you must have gotten it somehow."

"Well I had some help," I responded. 

"Mom, Mom, do you have a pencil?" I cried out.

"Better then that.  Here's the number," my Mom replied, smiling as she handed a slip of paper back to me.  She'd seen what was going on between the two cars.

"All right Grandma," my son exclaimed.

Grandma smiled.  She'd helped me out big time, as her grandchildren proved.

Of course, Deb and I had enjoyed sex during our first date, so the rest of our courting went easily.

© Copyright 2012 Sailor M (sailor40 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1843762-Meeting-At-The-Mall