*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1844919-Just-Life
Rated: E · Short Story · Comedy · #1844919
A story about a man who was late for work...
-Oh crap, I am late again!
Bob was late for work again...
He quickly ran downstairs and started shouting:
-Mom! Why didn't you wake me up?
His mom Jude was sleeping on the couch. She was diagnosed with cancer a few days ago. Death wasn't what she wanted, but she knew God would take her life in a few years even if she wasn't cancer. She decided to live her life again. She would get up early, go jogging, learn things she never did before, or at least, that's what Bob thought...
Bob wore his blue uniform. He hated his job. He always wanted a life in which he could have been a doctor, or maybe an engineer...
Bob went downstairs, he was searching for his gun. He checked under the counters. There were so many worthless things under them, but no gun...
Bob was about to get up, until he noticed someone breathing behind him. It was his mom:
-Bob! Why aren't you at work yet? You moron!
-Mom! I can't find my gun!
Jude was annoyed. She was tired of his idiotic son.
-Behind you...
It was on the counter pointing Bob. Bob sighed...
Bob quickly ran out of the house without saying goodbye to his mom. He was late, too late. He quickly ran to the bus stop, but he was too late...
Bob started running, running to a bank which is at least three miles away...
He was also thinking as he ran. Why was it always the same? Why couldn't he never be late? What if the bank was being robbed right now? Well, there was still joe, his 6 foot friend. He was a total idiot, but at least he wasn't still living with his mother. He had curly black hair, and black eyes. He was a great friend, and a great work buddy. They sometimes even went eating together after work. Joe was black. And this made a lot of people make racist comments of him. I guess everyone has their own issues...
The bank was only a street away. Bob checked his clock. It was 9:10 am. He wasn't as late as he thought...
Bob entered the bank, only to be greeted by the manager. This wasn't good. The boss hated people who were late for work.
-Bob!!!! Where have you been?
Bob couldn't open his eyes. The managers shiny bald head made it hard to see.
-I said where have you been!!
Bob took a deep breath, started talking:
-I am sorry sir, my mom was very sick, I had to ta..
The manager interrupted him. If he was a volcano he would possibly be exploding right now:
-I don't care why you weren't here! My question is...why the hell are you not here?
Bob was scared. He was gonna lose a weeks pay...
-Sir...
-Shut up! What time is it Joe?
-It is...
Joe paused for a minute, he noticed he didn't have a watch with him. He started looking for the phone in his bag.
Bob was getting impatient of waiting Joe find his phone, so he decided to tell the time:
-It's 9:15 sir!
The manager got more and more angry. Bob was possibly dead, that is, if the manager was a bit more tall...
-Shut up! Nobody asked you! So, what time is it Joe?
-It's 9:15 sir!
Bob sighed.
-When does the work shift start at Joe?
-At 9:00 sir!
-So, how late was this idiot?
-15 minutes sir!
-15 minutes...Now tell me Bob, what would happen if a man who is armed with a shotgun came in, shot Joe, and took all the money and left? Whose fault would it be? Yours!!!
Bob knew he was late, but this was the Just street, nobody would dare try to job this place.the richest, and most safe, street in the city...
-I am sorry, I promise...
-Oh why won't you just shut up? You are fired Bob, now give me your suit and gun!
Bob had nothing beneath his suit, just some dirty underwear he had been wearing since friday.
-But sir, I have no other clothes...
The manager went to a locker room. Bob knew what was going to happen..
The manager returned with a black dirty top and some torn jeans.
-There! Wear these!
Bob had no choice. He went to the locker room and changed his clothes. The jean was too small and the top was too big for him. And he could swear that the top smelled like cheese...
The manager smiled:
-Good, now go!
Bob was terrified. What was he gonna do? His mom was going to die, and he had no chance to even pay for anything...
Bob moved towards the door. his life was over...
Just as he was leaving the building a man who was wearing a brown coat took out a shotgun and shot Joe. He started yelling with all his might:
-This is a robbery!
Yes, everybody already guessed that...
The robber made everyone sit next to the wall. This was Bob's fault. He was late for work, and this was what happened. Bob was the one closest to the door. He was also able to see Joe. He was injured, but not dead it seemed. The robber took his gun. Bob had to do something, it was his duty...
After a few minutes Bob noticed that Joe was raising his thumb. He was pointing to the gun on the floor. The manager must have left it here. After that Joe pointed a button next to him. Bob never knew what that button was. He never knew why it was even there.
Joe started doing a countdown with his fingers, Bob knew what Joe wanted him to do, but he wasn't sure if he could do it...
3...
The robber was talking on the phone with someone, most likely an officer about ransom, he was distracted and he didn't notice the gun.
2...
Bob didn't want this. But he learned something today. It was just life! It was not even worth living. Everyday he was nagged by his mom, by his boss, by his friends. They abused him and always insulted him. Enough was enough...
1...
Bob was damn ready, waited for Joe to finish his countdown...
0...
Water started pouring from the ceiling. I guess this design was made for fire-situations...
Bob started running towards the gun. He picked it up, he fired towards the robbers leg. The hostages started beating up the robber. Bob didn't understand why...
Police officers started entering the bank one by one, as if there wasn't a crisis...
The robber was arrested and sent to jail. Joe healed in a few weeks, and Bob was rehired. He was a hero. Many reporters started asking Bob about this incident:
-Sir what motivated you?
Bob was too excited to answer in a full sentence. He only said one word:
-Life!
The next day, the newspapers printed the event with the heading;
"Just Life!"
© Copyright 2012 Vakumas (bobthereader at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1844919-Just-Life