*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1845284-Charming-Lord-Chambers-Chapters-3---4
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Duckie
Rated: 18+ · Novel · Romance/Love · #1845284
Regency romance, country house visits are always delicate affairs. Novel in progress.
Chapter Three

After changing Lucy made her way down to the library, she hoped she wouldn’t see Edward. “When did I start calling him Edward?” she asked herself. “Well I have to pull myself together, we have our first lesson tomorrow and I can’t let him now how much he has been affecting me. I still wonder how much I affected him.”
Lucy was about to enter the library when she heard voices.
“Charles I don’t know what to do about this young lady, I feel I am no good for her.”

“Lucy” Lucy jumped, “what are you doing standing there like that, are you feeling unwell?”
“Liza you gave me a start.” Lucy was relieved that Elizabeth couldn’t hear the men in the library from where she was or it would have been obvious what she had been doing. “I think I may of dropped an earring here earlier I was just seeing if I could find it. They were a present from Aunt Belle.”
“Oh that’s a shame, we’ll let the maid know and hope they find it for you. I need your help writing out the invitations, you have such lovely penmanship.”
“Of course Liza, I need a distraction my mind is running a mile every second.” Lucy started to follow Liza to her parlor. Liza waited until she had closed the parlor door until she asked, even though she was dying of curiosity. “What, my dear, has your mind so engaged?”
“Hm..” said Lucy looking away from the window distractedly.
“Gosh no!” exclaimed Liza, “you’re infatuated with someone and I’m guessing his name is Edward Chambers.”
Lucy looked at her friend. “I don’t even know what to say. I don’t think I love him, but I do like him a lot. Earlier when we went riding I wanted him to kiss me, then when he didn’t I was very disappointed.”
“Wait, when did this happen? You need to be very careful he has a terrible reputation and you area beautiful young lady.”
“He was helping me back onto my horse and he was so close. He has such deep eyes, like pools of chocolate. He smelled like warmth and good brandy.” Lucy suddenly remembered she was talking out loud and not to herself. She blushed and looked shamefaced.
“Please don’t look like that dear” said Liza in a motherly way while smiling at her, “Do you know how long I’ve been trying to find you a man you actually like. It has not been an easy task and my husband has succeeded while not even knowing it. Well at least I am here to watch over you and give you my advice.”
Lucy relaxed a little and took a seat on the settee next to Liza. She gave her dear friend a half hearted smile.
“First thing is first my dear, we must go shopping.”
“Why do we need to Liza?” said Lucy with a sigh.
“Why ever not. For one we must buy your ball gown and as a second I have been meaning to spoil you in some way. You are such a good and dear friend to me, more dear than any of my real family. Also we must not let Edward see you in any more drab and tiered old clothes, it may put him off completely.”
Lucy rolled her eyes at her friend with a smile. “You will do anything to spend Charles’ money” she joked.
“That’s settled then, we must go to town shopping as soon as possible. I may not go tomorrow as there is much to do for the ball, but the day after. We will leave early so as to have as much time as possible. I plan to visit a great number of boutiques.”
Lucy was glad that Liza had plans for the next day, as she herself did too. She had her first lesson with Edward.

The day progressed with little to mention. Lucy helped Liza with the invitations. Liza provided most of the conversation with little needed from Lucy apart from an occasional agreement or nod of the head. Charles and Edward were off following their manly pursuits, probably sparing with each other somewhere in the grounds. According to Liza they were both keen on boxing.
When time came for dinner it was a quite affaire, Charles and Liza again providing most of the conversation. The main topic was the upcoming ball of course. Lucy found her mind to keep wandering, she was very distracted. The topics of conversation were dull to her as she had heard nothing else from Liza all afternoon.
When at last Liza and Charles got up to retire to the library Lucy and Edward followed.

The Gentlemen drank their port and the ladies their tea. Lucy was in a world all of her own as she thought about what had happened that afternoon. She kept thinking of how it felt to have Edward so close to her, to be able to see into his eyes so closely. They didn’t seem like the eyes of a rogue, they didn’t seem insincere.
“Are you feeling well Lucy?” asked Charles, “you seem a little distracted”
It was then that Lucy realized she had been staring into an empty space. “I have a slight headache actually. I feel I should retire early and maybe take a tonic.”
“My dear Lucy I hope you did not catch a chill while you were riding.” Worried Liza, “I will get a maid to bring you a warm drink also, maybe it will help.”
“Thank you Liza” said Lucy rising from her seat, “I will bid you all goodnight and retire to my room.” She left the room still seeming distracted and made her way upstairs. The maid came and went, leaving the tonic and a cup of warm milk. Lucy touched neither of them. She was still thinking about Edward much later, once everybody else had also retired to bed. Lucy was thinking how marvelous Edward looked while mounted on Rupert. Suddenly an impulsive thought got into her head and she decided to follow it. She changed into her britches and put her dressing gown over top. Hopefully if anybody caught her they wouldn’t notice. She managed to get down to the stables without seeing anybody. She took the dressing gown off and left it draped over the stall door. She reached for Rupert’s saddle, even though he was such a big horse it didn’t take her to long to have him saddled and waiting. Now came the hard part, she had to get Rupert out of the courtyard without waking anybody. His shoes would be loud upon the stone. She hoped that since the hour was late everybody was already in a deep slumber. She took a deep breath and led Rupert out and headed for the gate which she had already opened. The sound of the horse shoes upon the ground was deafeningly loud in the quiet on the night. She started to fear she would be found out at any second. As she reached the gate, and the softer ground past it, she looked over her shoulder at the house. No lights had come on and everything was still. She had to stand on a stone just outside the gate to mount Rupert but even though he was so tall she managed it. Without looking back she kicked him into a walk. Until they moved a bit farther off from the house, she would gallop later.
If she had taken the time to look back one last time she would have seen a curtain twitch and a partially covered light coming from one of the windows upstairs.
Lucy was enjoying her ride with Rupert so much that she had no wish to return to the house. She had been gone for a little over an hour. The house would start to wake up soon and she needed to get back in before anybody had chance to notice. She galloped Rupert back to the house, slowing only when she came close. Again she led Rupert across the courtyard wishing he had hooves as velvet as his nose so he couldn’t make so much noise. She had just taken off the saddle and rubbed down Rupert, and was in the process of putting a blanket on him. A noise behind her made her start and turn around. Edward was casually leaning against the wall of the stable with his arms crossed.
“Well” he said questioningly, “how did you like him?”
Lucy was so surprised that she didn’t immediately answer. “He was wonderful. I beg your pardon Edward, I couldn’t sleep and I kept thinking of your magnificent mount”. Well it was partially true at least, but she didn’t need to add the part about him being on the horse at the time. She noticed that he was no longer looking at her face. “What is the matter Edward?” she started looking around at her feet, where his gaze was focusing, but couldn’t see anything worth staring at.
“Nothing is the matter Lucy,” his voice was husky. “You have a very feminine body and I am just admiring you.”
Lucy blushed, she had never before been called feminine, she had a pretty face and good complexion but her legs were to long and toned for a lady of breeding. Her aunt always told her she did too much walking.
Edward crossed the small space that was between them, he was so close. “Lucy I must apologize for what I am about to do, I cannot resist any longer. You have no idea how hard it was to hold myself back this afternoon.” Lucy took a deep breath. She knew what was about to happen but couldn’t and didn’t want to stop it.
Edward wrapped one arm around her waist and pulled her close, the other hand he used to push the loose hair from her face. He leaned his head down to hers and captured her lips in a kiss. She did as her body wanted her to. She wrapped her arms around his neck and pulled him closer. Edward took this as permission and deepened the kiss, sliding his tongue just past her lips. Surprising herself she reached out her tongue in response instinctively and caressed his. Slowly he slid the hand on her back lower until it started to touch her pert derriere. She pulled away from him slowly, “Edward, I’m not one of your light skirts. I made a mistake, I’m sorry for misleading you.”
“I meant no offense Lucy,” he said sounding slightly offended himself. “I should of controlled myself more, you deserve better.” With that he walked back to the house silently. Lucy was left standing in the stable alone. She still felt the sensation of his lips against hers, she shook herself. Picking up her dressing gown she made her way back to her room quietly so as not to rouse anybody. It had been a long day, or should she say night? Suddenly she felt very tired. At least she had an excuse for sleeping in late. Everybody already thought she was feeling unwell, so that was a small mercy.
Lucy took breakfast in her room. She slept afterwards until she finally came down to join the others for lunch. During lunch she was very quiet and subdued. Liza kept glancing at her in the manner of a worried mother. Charles was to busy talking to Edward to notice much wrong with her, but Edward looked a little shamefaced as he also glanced toward Lucy.
“Why am I acting like this?” thought Lucy, “it’s not like I was the one that did wrong…was I? His kiss was so delicious but that’s all I wanted it to be, a kiss. He was the one that took more than I wanted to give. I shouldn’t have expected any different with a rogue like Edward. He probably does that to every woman he has a slight fancy for.” Mentally she gave herself a shake and visibly she sat straighter in her chair. She was determined to beat Edward at this game he was playing with her. She met his gaze and didn’t break eye contact until it was he that looked away. It wasn’t very lady like of her she knew but it needed to be done. He needed to realize she was not some milk and water miss to be bedded and thrown away like an old shoe.
“Please excuse me,” Lucy stood, “I have something I planned to do today and I have already lost time this morning.” With that she strolled out of the room and made her way to the gazebo. She hoped that Edward had understood what her plans were and would soon follow.
She needn’t have worried. He followed very soon after her. He came striding across the garden, she stood observing him were she was hidden by the honeysuckle surrounding the gazebo. Maybe it was just the heavenly scent of that plant attacking her senses but she felt as if she were in a dream where the hansom knight came to save her from some dastardly evil. Except he himself was the dastardly foe she felt she may need saving from, how terribly confusing. She ignored these distracting thought so she would have time to savor the wonderful site presented her. Time almost seemed to slow as she watched his movements, his long legged grace, tall and well muscled frame. She came back to herself as she realized he was now able to see her and she must have had the most stupid doe eyed look on her face because he was smiling a most self satisfied smile, like the cat that got the cream.
“I thought you’d gone into hiding” he said bounding up the step into the gazebo, “After last night I almost gave up hope of our lesson until I saw you at lunch.” Lucy didn’t look amused by his jest at all.
“And why Sir would I go into hiding pray? True your kisses were terrible but even your lack of skill won’t scare me off taking my lessons.” The look on Edward’s face was one of dismay.
“I suppose I have earned that censure, I am very sorry for my actions last night. If you had not been wearing those damnable britches I would have been able to control myself better. As it was though just the site of your womanly attributes was the last straw and I just had to kiss you. I didn’t mean for it to go any further though and for that I sincerely apologize.”
“Your apology is accepted but I will not forget your indiscretion. I will make it most clear to you now that I am not one of your London doxies and I do not appreciate being mauled.” Though if anybody was going to maul her she much preferred Edward over anybody else, he had made her tingle in places she didn’t know were able to tingle.
“I shall have you know Lucinda that I have never in my life associated myself with a light skirt and I do not plan to do so now or ever. I do not disagree that I have a reputation but I would never lie to you on such a score when I have no need to.”
A look of surprise pasted itself onto Lucy’s face. She didn’t know why but she believed him. She covered over her surprise as quickly as she could with a look of indifference.
“Shall we begin” she asked, motioning him further inside the gazebo.
With a simple nod of the head Edward took her hand and drew her into the middle of the gazebo. He hoped that Lucy didn’t notice the slight tremble in his hand as he laid it about her waist. It was quite out of character for him to be so nervous around a lady. Lucy didn’t notice Edward’s trembles at all and if she did she merely attributed it to being one of hers. As she positioned herself around him, adjusting her hand in his and placing her other hand on his shoulder, she couldn’t help regretting these lessons a little. To be so close to him, allowing him to touch her. It was highly dangerous not because she didn’t trust him to force himself on her but more the fact she didn’t trust herself to not invite him. She stood looking into those dark chocolate eyes waiting for him to give her direction. He just gazed back down into hers like he was lost, then he came back to himself and broke the gaze they had been sharing. He needed to remind himself this was Lucy not the kind of society lady that would welcome his attentions like many others did. He cleared his throat in a slightly nervous manner.
“First we shall cover the basics and see if you are as terrible as you claim.” Keeping his gaze firmly fixed above her head, so as not to get drawn in again, they began a slow waltz. She wasn’t as terrible as she claimed at all but she wasn’t the best dancer and he could see where she needed help. After she had tripped over her feet for the third time and put her weight on him, and stepped on his toes many more, he could stand the closeness and her perfume no longer. He stopped their movement and separated from her. He went to lean against the rail of the gazebo and flexed his toes in his shoes to make sure there was no real damage. He looked up to find Lucy looking rather down trodden.
“Lucy, what ever is the matter? You look like somebody just shot your dog.”
Lucy made her way over to the rail tentatively. She leaned against it just as Edward did. She looked at him very shyly through her lashes.
“I told you I was terrible, I’ll understand if you don’t want to help me anymore.” A laugh rumbled up from Edward.
“Lucy if you think that was bad you know nothing of the waltz, most people are much worse than you when they start. You just haven’t had the right teacher.” He was most certain he could help her become a most accomplished dancer in just one or two more lessons. Maybe it was a good idea to help her as quickly as possible not just for his sanity but for her safety, he wasn’t sure how much longer he could be this close to her without pulling her against him again. At the same time though he wanted an excuse to spend time alone with her, she was so much more alive when she wasn’t watching her behavior in front of others. Last night had been proof of the woman under the façade. What other woman would go riding alone in the countryside dressed as a man at midnight with only the worry of getting caught Also what woman would allow a known scoundrel to corner her in the stable and let him kiss her blind and have so little worry so as to throw her arms around said scoundrel’s neck. No other woman he had ever known had been that daring and he had indeed known some daring women. Now he thought about it had those women really been daring or just reckless? There was a world of difference. He turned to find Lucy looking at him.
“I thought I was the only one that did that” she said with a slight giggle.
“Did what?” he asked with a confused look.
Lucy couldn’t help but laugh at his puzzled expression. “You went off into a world of your own. What were you thinking?”
He could hardly tell her that he was marveling at her. “I was transported by the luscious smell of that flower.” He lied very unconvincingly for a rogue. She thought he would have had more skill after having so much practice at it. Well if he thought he could get away with his lie then she wasn’t going to let him away easily.
“I’m surprised Edward that somebody of your reputation doesn’t already know of this particular flower.” He looked at her with a confused expression.
“Are you trying to tell me that you have never sent a lady flowers’ with a secret message?”
“Why would I do that?” he questioned. “Her husband might find the note eventually and then I’d be in trouble” he flashed a roguish smile. She rolled her eyes. This was going to take longer than she thought.
“There is a way to send a message without writing it you know, most gentlemen use flowers. There is even a language us ladies use while at balls, we use our fans”
“How intriguing, I would like to learn more about the fans.” Again he threw her a reckless smile. “First about the flowers, please continue.” He looked honestly interested, not like he was pretending just to placate her.
“Well different flowers have different meanings, the obvious such as red roses signifying everlasting love. Do you understand?” she felt she may be laying on the condescension a bit think but she wanted to put a distance between them and their friendship, he was getting to close to her for comfort.
“Yes, my Lady I understand.” He said with an impish grin, he was as capable of sarcasm as she.
“Good, I will continue in more detail. The flower you asked about is a honeysuckle; its meaning is one of abundance, love and pleasure.” He quirked an eyebrow “It seems I should of sent this to some of the ladies in the past.” Lucy blushed a little and continued.
“In Greek Mythology, Daphnis and Chloe were lovers who seldom saw one another as they lived far apart. Daphnis prayed to the god of love to make the honeysuckle blossom last longer than one season so they could spend more time together. As the legend goes, we can now enjoy the honeysuckle all year long because of Daphnis desire for his lover.”
“Chloe must have been a very special woman to incite such feeling in Daphnis, I can think of only one woman worth that kind of trouble.” He leaned closer to Lucy and looked deep into her eyes.
“Shall we take a walk around the garden?” She said moving away from him swiftly yet gracefully.
“If you would like to then I will accompany you. I think my feet have taken enough dancing for today.” He smiled at her so she would know he was jesting.
They started walking in the opposite direction of the house, around the lake. They walked in silence for a while. Lucy was unsure of what to say without getting herself into trouble. Edward was admiring Lucy’s figure while she walked a step ahead of him. It was strange to imagine this delicate young lady had the curves of a temptress hidden away under her dress. Her legs had been designed to drive a man wild, to imagine them locked around him in the throws of passion, her delicate hands grasping at him while he penetrated deep inside pushing against those curving hips. He quickly shook himself out of his silent fantasy before she could notice his eyes devouring her.
“Look here” said Lucy moving off of the path and into the shrubbery.
It was almost too much to bear, he was already having wicked thoughts of what they could be doing in the shrubbery where nobody would see them. He followed reluctantly, wary of his own desire for Lucy.
“Look Edward,” She said over her shoulder as she heard him moving up beside her. “Isn’t that strange.”
“I don’t see anything strange by it. It is a shrub and we happen to be standing in a shrubbery.” He offered her one of his roguish grins.
“Ah, I see you know nothing about this plant either then,” she teased. “This is a forsythia and it happens to be still flowering. These are supposed to flower in early spring.”
“I see,” said Edward noncommittally. “And in your language of flowers what does this particular specimen signify?”
Lucy stopped to think before answering hesitantly in a husky tone.
“It means…oh I’m sure it’s very boring to you let us walk on”
Edward put a hand on her shoulder to still her as she tried to pass by him back onto the path they had just left.
“You could never bore me Lucy. Please tell me what it means.”
She turned towards him and fixed him with her emerald gaze. She made an unconscious move towards him and almost whispered the word that had been in her head all day while thinking of Edward.
“Anticipation”
She realized she had made a mistake going so far from the house while in Edward’s company. She turned to go back but was stopped by Edward.
Why did she have to gaze at him like that and especially while uttering that word so sensually? He just couldn’t help himself any longer. He pulled her against him and kisses her as he had last night. Had it really been only last night it seemed like an age since he’d held this daring beautiful goddess in his arms and felt her melt.
Lucy was surprised by the reaction that Edward’s kiss exposed in her. She did exactly as she had last night and put her arms around his neck. This time Edward kept his hands from wandering too far. He didn’t want this encounter to be over as quickly as their last. He pulled her so tight against him that she could feel him harden against her. He started to delve his tongue into her mouth and explore the sweetness he found there. She knew she should be appalled by her reaction but all she wanted was for this man to touch her and keep her here in this shrubbery all afternoon. She pushed her own tongue forward to tangle with his. This sent shivers of pleasure all over her body especially up her inner thighs. She started to put her fingers through his hair as she pulled herself tighter against him, if that was even possible. He moved one of his strong hands up her ribs and under her breast the other just held her close and firm. He used his thumb to rub her aroused nipple through the fabric of her gown. She moaned in her throat as her kisses became more insistent. The sound of her pleasure drove him wild and he groaned low in his throat at the thought of having her naked beneath him and straining for release. She stopped cold. Her eyes were wide in amazement. She pulled back from him and he let her, not wanting to make her stay against her will. She turned and fled him, her personal demon. She didn’t stop running until she reached the house and even then she hurried up to her room locking the door behind her.
“Hell and damnation,” swore Edward after Lucy fled. She’d left him hard and unsatisfied, but he didn’t care, not really. This woman was well worth the torture, she felt with so much passion it was amazing. He’d never known anybody that could tempt him this much, he wanted to run after her to the house and beg for her to take him into her bed. He knew she never would, she thought he was a worthless scoundrel and she was right. Here he was trying to seduce an innocent lady in a shrubbery of all places.

Chapter Four

In her room Lucy stood with her back against the door and a look of shock on her face. “What did I just do?” she thought. “In the shrubbery of all places. But oh my, it was thrilling. What am I thinking! I can’t let Edward thrill me whatsoever. Aunt Belle would have my head if she knew I was behaving like such a wanton. Why did Edward do that? Does he really feel affection for me or does he just need a toy to play with while he’s away from the entertainments of the town?”
She sighed, “Does he even know that I’ve fallen for his charms?”

Still pacing back and forth in the shrubbery, Edward was just as pensive as Lucy.
“Why can’t I control myself around her? I have the biggest urge to please her in every way especially physically. But she’s such a precious gem in this sea of cut glass. She needs a better gentleman than I. I will try to be the gentleman she deserves, but it’s going to be blasted hard with my randy soldier coming to attention whenever she’s around.”


(work in progress unedited and rough)
© Copyright 2012 Duckie (joy_of_books at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1845284-Charming-Lord-Chambers-Chapters-3---4