*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1846330-Close-Encounters
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Dixie
Rated: E · Sample · Drama · #1846330
It's basic girl-meets-boy drama and centres around the theme of chocolate addiction.
Andy traced the word in the dictionary when she found it, she didn’t realise her tongue was sticking out as she did so. She also didn’t realise that a shadow had invaded part of the natural light and his frame completely blocked the sun.
‘Anderson McNamara?’
‘You’re in my light.’ She lifted her head but not her face.
‘I’m Chocolate.’
Andy lifted her face slowly, mildly irritated by this obstinate man’s insistence at blocking her light.
‘Ok, Chocolate. What can I do for you?’
‘I’m here to audition for the part.’
‘Third door to your left, walk in, grab a ticket; it will have a number, memorise that number then wait your turn.’
Seconds later Andy was seated in a metal-back chair next to him.
‘Why were you reading a dictionary?’
‘Why did you tell me your name?’
‘I just said a word and you took it to mean my name.’
‘How do you figure dropping random nouns at people you don’t know?’
‘You haven’t answered my question. I’ve answered yours.’
Andy gave a shrug, ‘dictionaries make light reading.’
‘Your finger pointed to the word and I was tempted to say it.’
‘Said the Lord’s Prayer lately?’
‘Huh?’
‘”Lead us not into temptation”.’
‘You’re good. This your first audition?’
‘I’m not auditioning. I got the part. You’re the one holding a useless ticket with a meaningless number. Auditions ended at three.’ Andy pointed to the wall clock with her eyes. The small hand rested on three with the long hand not too far behind. The second hand ticked noisily but swiftly by.
‘You have no shame.’
‘No, sir you stood in my light and interrupted my research. You have no shame. Anderson McNamara.’ Andy offered her hand.
‘Connor Regan,’ he shook her hand with feeling. ‘So how come you didn’t warn me it was over.’
‘It’s barely begun.’ She smiled and unknown to him it was the first time that day. Smiles were hard to come by these days. ‘I don’t even know which auditions you’re here for. These are great premises ad people are always holding auditions for one thing or the next. If it’s not cornflakes adverts, it’s toothpaste promotions or daytime soapies. Which are you?’
‘Mouthwash.’
When she laughed it sounded like an eruption of music. The sound was deep and melodious. She had forgotten how to do that too.
‘After they considered my head shot they sent me an acceptance letter and a release form. I returned it signed and they gave me a call. The lady on the other end sad, “you must be either daft or you badly need this job”. I thought she was joking until she told me I had to practise reading a three line script with water in my mouth.’
‘Don’t tell me you have been faithfully gurgling water.’
‘Two weeks and this morning. I’m surprised I can still hold conversation without sounding like I’m talking underwater.’
‘You could have drowned.’
‘I’ll never look at a bottle of Evian the same way again.’
Andy laughed again.
‘What’s the name of the company?’
‘Do you actually know something that will help me or are you just fishing for information?’
‘I’m a researcher. Besides, I know a little about what goes on here, I could find you someone who may know someone who is willing to help and they might have a connection who is able to help you.’
‘Metronome Media. The ad is for MouthGuard.’
‘I can’t believe I’m actually talking to the new face of MouthGuard. My friends will never believe me when you make headlines. We’ll have to write somewhere to record this momentous occasion.’
‘I bet you think you’re funny.’
‘I bet you think you have what it takes to earn real money lying to consumers around the world that MouthGuard deals with plaque the only way a mouthwash is supposed to.’
‘It works.’
‘You actually use that poison?’
‘Religiously. It also doubles as an aphrodisiac. Mouthwash made for love.’
‘Ok, Mr Connor Regan. I have officially gone off my rocker but you take the prize.’
Andy looked up and exchanged glances with her friend across the hallway.
‘However, it seems you missed your bus and you have spent twenty minutes exchanging idle chatter with a total stranger. Where I come from though, we call that an interview and I am pleased to tell you, you passed with flying colours. You’re exactly what we’re looking for Mr Regan.’
Andy spoke lifting a pair of rose-pink tinted glasses to her eyes and left them as they stubbornly rested on the bridge her nose. She pulled out a document case, retrieved forms and a pen.
‘Who are you?
‘I’m Anderson Mc -.’
‘No, not your name. What is this about?’
‘Now you’re going to stutter and splutter all over a perfect interview. You invaded my space and I accommodated you. You look like you’re on the brink of saying something with the word litigation. Close your mouth, Connor Regan. It’s not gentlemanly.’
© Copyright 2012 Dixie (eggsnhamsamiam at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1846330-Close-Encounters