*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1847001-The-Walk
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Other · Comedy · #1847001
Ray was furious because he had to walk home. Soon he would realize he had no one to blame
The Walk


         “Now what on earth did you do that for!?” Ray yelled at Bob.
         Bob was a new comer in this company.  He tried hard to make a good impression on everyone.  He actually was quite successful; many people liked him—except Ray, one of the supervisors. 
         In fact, Ray yelled at anyone who crossed his way.
         “Sorry, sir, I…” Bob struggled to explain, “I didn’t…I wasn’t….”
         “I’ve said a thousand times, if not a million: do not leave anything on my god damn microwave!  Now get rid of your god damn coffee from there, would ya?”
         “Sorry, yes, I’m sorry; I didn’t mean to…” Bob left the room with his damn coffee.
         Outside, some people looked at Bob with a strange mix of smirk and sympathy.  “You’ve met the king, haven’t you?” Adam, a co-worker, came over and patted Bob’s shoulder.
         “What’s his deal?” Bob lowered his voice, still looked at Ray’s direction.
         “Don’t worry, he’s not really a bad guy; his bark is way worse than his bite.  It’s just his personality.  You’ll get used to it in no time.  I promise.”
         “I’ve never seen anyone like that,” Bob’s eyes were still wide open.
         “Welcome to the company.” Adam patted him again on his back.
         “I’ve heard he wasn’t this bad before his first wife divorced him.” Amanda, another co-worker, added.
         “I heard differently,” Adam said, “his first wife divorced him because of his temper.”
         “When I heard he got married again I almost fell off my chair!” Amanda said.  “That brave woman!  Somebody should give her a medal.”
         “It won’t last,” Adam sneered.
         “Well, it’s been 8 years.” Amanda shrugged.
         “Unbelievable.” Bob shook his head, took a sip of his coffee.

         Ray was glad that Bob was straightened out.  Now he was going to enjoy his favorite double cheeseburger.  After this burger I’ll hit the gym; I promise.  He told himself.  He was in his 50s.  His hairline was receding, and his belly was blocking his view to his toes.  He knew he should exercise more, and he always told himself tomorrow he would definitely do it. 
         Just when he was about to take the first bite, his office phone rang.  He grudgingly picked it up.  “What?”
         “Ray?  What’s up?” The voice sounded pleasant.  It was his cousin Zach.
         “What do you want?” Ray sniffed. 
         “Nothing, just to say hi.”
         “Spit it out.”
         “OK, ok, I’m just wondering…you know, my lawn mower just broke this morning, and my neighbor is out of town; since you guys are coming to visit tomorrow, can I borrow yours?”
         Ray rolled his eyes.  Please, he’s so cheap!  Last time I used his coffeemaker and now he’s trying to get even?  “Well, Zach, I’m not sure…”
         “Why not?”
         “I’ll have to ask Allison.”
         “I thought you’re the only one using it.”
         “You know what?  I’m having lunch here, why don’t you call back later?”
         “Oh, well, ok…”
         “Bye.” He hung up right away.  Yea right, let you use my stuff, like that will happen.  I’ll deal with it later. Ray took a huge bite of his burger and sighed with relief. 

         Ray was staring at his watch and counting: ten, nine, eight… At the moment it turned 5 o’clock, Ray instantly walked out of his office with his briefcase and a lunch box.  There was another cheeseburger inside for him to enjoy on the way home. 
         He walked out of the gate, expecting he would see Allison waiting for him already.  His car broke down a week ago, and for a week Allison had been faithfully waiting for him right on time.  He specifically told her to pick him up right at 5.  Not one minute late.  Five.
         But today Allison wasn’t there.  He frowned.  He sat down on a bench right outside the company building. 
         “What’s up, Ray?  What are you doing here?” Adam walked out of the door.
         “Waiting for my wife.”
         “What happen to your car?”
         “In the auto shop.  It just wouldn’t start.”
         “Sorry man.  You need a ride?”
         “No, I’m fine.”
         “You sure?”
         “Of course.”
         “Ok, I’ll leave you alone then.  See you later.”
         Ray waited a bit longer.  She’s terribly late.  She must have forgotten.  I knew it; I knew sooner or later it’s gonna happen.  She’s so forgetful.  Ray checked his watch again.  5:03.
         Holding the lunch box, he lost his appetite.  How could she let me wait here?  For such a long time?  Ray reached to his pocket and took out his cell phone.  He was debating whether to call her or not.  The problem: he purchased the cheapest phone plan—$2 per day for unlimited calls, and no charge at all if not making or receiving any call that day.  He hadn’t made or received any call yet. I’m not gonna throw away $2 just for her mistake.  I’m gonna wait. And she better shows up quick.
         It wasn’t until 5:15 that Ray realized that she might not come at all.  All the other co-workers were gone, and there was nobody he knew around.  He wasn’t thrilled with the idea of walking home: it was a 2-mile walk; the sun was shining above, and the air was dusty.  He started cursing.  For Christ’s sake, she just doesn’t care; I’ll bet right at this moment she’s in salon doing her hair, or in the mall shopping and enjoying herself.  I’ll bet she fucking totally forgot about me. This is so typical of her. 
         5:29.  Ray finally got up.  Ok, enough of this shit, I’ll walk; I’m always the one who sacrifices anyway.  When she sees me she’ll know how guilty she is.
         He started walking home. 
         It really wasn’t a pleasant walk.  It was cold that morning so Ray brought a jacket.  Now it was too warm, but it was easier to put that damn jacket on because he already had his briefcase and a ridiculously big lunchbox in his hands.  Merely 5 minutes into the walk, the heat caught between the jacket and his body was already boiling; the up-and-down road surely wasn’t helping the situation.  Holding that lunchbox not only annoyed him, but also made him look stupid.  He cursed some more. 
         Some dogs barked from distance.  Ray was never a dog person; especially big dogs.  Whenever he sees a big dog his heart pounds.  I hope they’ve locked their dogs.  It sounds like too far to be a threat though, guess I’m safe anyway.
         But the dogs barked some more.  Wait, it’s way closer now.  Ray’s neck muscles tensed.  He looked to his right.  Two huge dogs as big as lions were running toward him.  He could see their white fangs.  Ray totally froze; in fact, he was paralyzed.  There was nobody around, and it was literally impossible for him to outrun these dogs.  He had only one thought: oh Fuck!  I’m gonna die!
         Before he could move a muscle, the two lions were already right in front of him.  Their mean look turned to curiosity, their barking was replaced by sniffing.  He let them did whatever they wanted.  About 5 seconds later they lost their interest and sniffed the grass instead.
         Ray almost soiled his pants, but he managed to keep walking.
         Some cars zoomed by.  Several drivers glanced at him. Fine, just ignore me, or better yet, look at me like I’m a clown.  Don’t offer any help. 
         Suddenly, a car turned around.  A middle-aged man in the car rolled down the window.  “Hey man, where’re you going?”
         “…Fairview street.” Ray uttered.
         “Want a ride?”
         He hesitated.  What does he want?  Why’s he acting nice?  What’s the catch?  “…I’ll walk.”
         The guy nodded and drove away.
         
         When Ray finally got home, it was 6: 26.  He was puffing like an old dog and sweating like a pig.  The garage was empty.  Fine, she must be looking for me now.  Let her panic.  She should be sorry.
         He opened the door.  To his surprise, Allison was sitting on the sofa.  Her eyes and nose were red.  She stood up: “Why are you so late?  Is everything ok?”
         What the shit is this?  She hasn’t realized her mistake?  “You forgot to pick me up!” Ray grumbled. 
         “Why should I pick you up?  You drove the car to work this morning.”
         Ray paused. 
         “I’m sick so I took a day off, remember?” She sniffed.
         “I…” Suddenly, his mind totally went blank.  Then everything was clear: right!  He was the one who drove the car this morning!  Now the car was parking in the company’s parking lot.  Shit!  Shit, shit, and shit!  How could I be so stupid?
         “Oh my gosh, so you walked home!?” Allison’s eyes wide open.  “Look at you… oh my, your shirt is soaked!  Why don’t you take that off and sit down?  You want some water?”
         “No… I mean, yes.” Ray said sheepishly. 
         “Why didn’t you call?” She handed him the water.
         “I… uh, I…” he couldn’t find a reason to tell her.
         His cell phone rang.  He picked it up.  “Yes?”
         “Hi Ray, Zach here.  So… did you ask Allison about the lawn mower?”
         “What Lawn mower?” The phone was loud, Allison overheard it and was puzzled.
         “Yes, you can borrow it.” Ray said weakly.
         “Really?  Thanks man!  So you’ll bring it tomorrow?”
         “Yes.”
         “Great!  Thanks!  You’re the man, Ray!”
         He hung up.  Then he realized it cost him $2.
         “So…you have to walk back to get the car?  You still need to work tomorrow.”
         Ray feebly nodded.
         “Well, think of it this way: you’ve got all the exercise you need for today.  Maybe for this week.” Allison giggled.  Ray laughed too, though it looked more like sobbing. 
         To think that he had to walk another 2 miles of uphill and downhill, to face that two stupid lion dogs again, and to bear the heat once more, Ray was completely numbed.  That was totally, fucking stupid.  Usually when shitting things happened, Ray was able to find someone or something to blame.  He was quite talented at it.  But no luck this time. 
         He got up and dragged himself to the door.  He had to walk back right away, and he had to be quick before it got really, really dark.  They lived in countryside, and there were very few streetlights. 
         When he opened the door and looked at the road extended far away, seemingly into the sky, he shook his head with only one thought in his mind.
         That was totally, fucking stupid.

© Copyright 2012 Deep Forest (chupo50 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1847001-The-Walk