*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1847732-How-The-Artist-opened-my-eyes
Rated: E · Article · Entertainment · #1847732
This article asks a very simple question. What makes a movie great?
Recently I went to go see "The Artist" in theaters. I had been waiting for several months to see it so needless to say I went opening night. I literally had to drag my girlfriend into the theater with me. Shockingly the place was completely empty. Not empty like there were a few people here and there. No, completely empty. I was and still am outraged about this.

What is it that makes this movie so detestable? Sure it was black and white, and sure it was mostly of no sound, but does that make the movie unwatchable? These were all questions that arose in me that night when I sat down later and contemplated what I had witnessed. These questions which were prompted by the content of the movie itself.

We all have those friends which we consider to be uncultured. A particular friend of mine wouldn't even watch a movie if it is in black and white. He says "I just can't stand it." Some people may find his reaction a little childish, but those same people wouldn't waste their time watching a silent film.

Some of you who may have seen the film may already understand the irony of the empty theater. It wasn't just an empty theater it was far more than that. It is a symbol of the shallowness of our society as a whole.

The film is about the transition from silent to non-silent films. The main protagonist has a thick french accent and cannot possibly see himself being able to make this transition. So he is completely ostracized. He says "they never needed to hear me before." He branches off and comes out with his own movie. It was a bust. People were attracted to the new "shiny" film that had sound. During this time in the movie there is a very revealing scene. The break out star, Peppy Miller, for the "talkies" is watching his new film, and is crying at an emotional last scene. Some people will see this and think nothing of it, but I believe that there was a very clear message the director was trying to present.

What makes a movie great? Is it sound? Is it color? Is it 3-D effects? I don't believe so. I believe what makes a movie great is the message it is trying to convey and how well it conveys it. Some of the newer mediums can make this conveyance a little easier, but it does not make the film. I was deeply impacted on the profoundest levels by this movie. It was doubly as much since the message it was trying to convey to people was not being utilized because of the same ignorance it was trying to combat.

The direction that we as a society are moving is troubling. I have people that tell me that they wouldn't even go to the theaters unless the movie is being shown in 3-D. Does this really make the movie better? I don't think so. When I tell people I didn't much care for "Avatar" they look at me like I'm crazy. Then they ask if I watched it in 3-D, and I tell them no. They then say "Oh, well that's why. You should have seen it in 3-D." Like that would have made the movie better.

Those of you who haven't seen the probable movie of the year winner I suggest that you all go watch it. Look around and see if your theater is a little more crowded than mine. I hope that it is.

© Copyright 2012 Rusty Miller (rmiller1023 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1847732-How-The-Artist-opened-my-eyes