*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1849203-Before-midnight-strikes
by Zynab
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Contest · #1849203
Sometimes killing your friend is a favour...
11:30. Thirty minutes more.

I stared at the shiny gun on the ash tray in front of me and shuddered. No way was I going to use that. Erica said I was selfish and I've decided she was right. I wouldn't pull the trigger no matter what happens, and I wouldn't allow her to do it.

Her moan broke the silence and I turned to look in the direction of the kitchen where Erica suffered alone. Fresh tears came into my eyes.

She said I was the reason she felt so much pain, and maybe I am, but I'll be damned the day I raise a gun to shoot my best friend in the head.

I heard her call my name weakly and i rose to my feet, dread coursing through my body. I picked up the gun and hid it under my shirt as I walked over to the kitchen.

The person that ought to be Erica, my best friend was sprawled on the floor. Her head was bent so I couldn't see her face, but the rest of her body reminded me that saving Erica was a lost cause.

The gown she had worn earlier in the evening at dinner was shredded to bits, a little material covered her now hairy back. Her ears had grown longer and very much resembled that of a fox straining to hear movements. Her legs, thrown in different directions were just as hair as her back. The foot had elongated several inches, sporting yellow claws as toe- nails.

I pretended like all I saw was my pretty Erica, skin like ivory and a soft cascade of auburn hair. I kneeled next to her and cursed fate when she raised her head to look at me.

Her eyes were yellow and elongated at the sides, what seemed to be fangs were growing steadily replacing her canine. The transformation wasn't complete, but in a few minutes it would be.

"Please Lottie," she said in a husky voice, "Help me take away this pain. I... I can't be..." she closed hairy lids over yellow eyes in pain and sighed as she managed to open them again. Her eyes locked to mine.

I knew I had to do it. It was too late to save her. I should have been with her with this gun when that monster pounced on her and scratched her body with its filthy claws. But I wasn't.

Now, she was going to either turn into an immortal monster by midnight or die, if i shot her.

I flicked my wrist to check the watch Erica had gotten me last christmas.

11:45

"I hurt, Lottie. Everywhere. My head... It's overwhelming. And my bones," She managed, tears dropping out of her hideous eyes. [b]"Oh, my bones. My aching bones." she said,[/b]

I felt my heart break in a hundred pieces. I was being a coward, I ought to put Erica out of her misery before she turned.

I brought out the gun from where I had hidden it and rose to my feet.

"I'm sorry Erica," I said, tears burning my eyes.
"Do it now, please." she said huskily, "I don't wanna be like him forever"

I nodded and pointed the gun at her with shaky fingers. Pulled the trigger...

Click.

She looked up, her nose flaring. 'what happened?" She asked.
"Empty. No bullets." i replied, not sure if I was to be relieved or agitated.
"Room. Drawer. Bullets"

I nodded again and rushed out of the kitchen, into the room I and Erica shared. I rummaged through the drawers and finally found it at a corner.

I loaded the gun as I walked out of the room and broke into a run when I heard the sound of glass shattering.

I swore when I entered the kitchen. Erica had jumped out through the window! I made my way carefully through the pieces of broken glass on the floor, pulled a chair close to window so I culd climb over it.

I raised my left leg on an over the window, then the right. I balanced my butt lightly on the sharp edges of the glass and was about to jump down lightly when something pulled my legs.

I screamed as the shards of glass pierced through my jeans, tearing my skin. I fell with a hard thump on the floor and saw stars dance in my eyes.

It was Monster-Erica. She had completely transformed, in a few minutes more she'd be immortal. I raised the gun in my hand aiming for her back as she dragged me away from the house and into the woods.

The bushes cut through my flesh, and some insects stung me as she dragged on. Where was she taking me? I thought with fear.

"Erica, please stop!" I pleaded, "you don't want to do this."

she only growled. Her steps, heavy and fast made my body rise and fall repeatedly. Closing my eyes, I raised the gun and fired it. She pulled me a while and then stopped.

I shot again and again. I hoped I wasn't to late. Then I saw blood trickling out of her mouth. I wasn't!
She dropped me feet and sttagered backwards only to fall next to me.

Erica was dead. I closed my eyes against all the pain and rose to sit up. My legs hurt so much I had to look at it.

There was claw marks all over them. I looked at the time. 11:59.

Twenty-four hours and a minute more.

© Copyright 2012 Zynab (zynscash at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1849203-Before-midnight-strikes