*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1849526-A-New-Predator
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Fantasy · #1849526
What was stalking the National Park?

A doe and her fawn were drinking at a swamp edge.  In the blink of an eye, what looked like a whip lashed out knocking the fawn off its feet.  The doe escaped.  The fawn was dragged away.

Later that day, the Park's Head Ranger reported to the Secretary of the Interior.

"Mr. Secretary, nothing on the two missing hikers," Ranger Billings said, "but there's something you should be aware of."

"It's not good news."  Billings paused to collect his thoughts.  "We've observed a sudden substantial increase in the number of large animal kills in the park."

"Large animal kills?" the Secretary asked.

"Yes sir," Billings answered.  "Deer, moose, even wolves and bears.  It isn't hunting or poaching by humans.  Something is eating these creatures."

"My God," the Secretary murmured.  "Could that have happened to the hikers?  What could be doing it?"

"Maybe," Billings responded.  "A new predator is possible, a sudden major mutation.  But, let's not start a panic."

"Of course," the Secretary said, "but in another day we should go public.  Use additional Rangers to search the park."

Billings, and Ranger Dakow climbed down a steep slope to a swampy area that attracted animals seeking water.

"Fresh signs of a struggle," Dakow observed.  "You hide behind that tree.  I'll investigate."

He quietly made his way to the water's edge, only to be knocked over by the same whip like strike that had downed the fawn.

"What the hell?" screamed Billings.

With a crash, a buffalo sized frog leaped out of the swamp.  A tongue that would have captured insects for his smaller brethren rolled back into a mouth that showed sharp teeth.

Billings turned and ran.  But as he tried to escape, he could hear the periodic crashes as the new predator came closer with each jump.
© Copyright 2012 Sailor M (sailor40 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1849526-A-New-Predator