*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1850099-Domus-Pristis
Rated: E · Short Story · Mythology · #1850099
In a world full of turmoil, an heir will rise to greatness and the world shall be saved.
Domus Pristis
by Dakoda George

Chapter One: The Call to Adventure


Hadrian (or Hade as he preferred) Georgi was sitting at his desk in his personal study; he was currently thinking of a letter he received from his mother;

“Dear Hadrian,
I know this letter may come as a shock to you, but I am your mother. I would like to invite you to stay a week with me at the Lindsey Plantation; I would like to get t know you.
love your mother,
Elizabeth Lindsey”

He was conflicted on whether or not to go. He had his fathers permission to go if he wanted to, he had always wanted to meet his mother who he hadn't seen since he was three years old. His father told him that she only used him, William the 23rd Duke of Poppywell, for the family money and titles. He knew the fortune was quite extensive and there we six titles; the Dukedom of Poppywell, the Earldom of Benton, Barony of Kensington, and the three Manorial Lordships of Trenton, Welton, and Zyton. He didnt know what side to take as he was the heir to the House of Georgi, he was to take his fathers side but on a personal note he was conflicted.

He went down the stairs and entered his fathers study and his father looked up. “Father” Hade started “I have decided to go to America and accept mothers invitation”

“It is your choice to go, but remember that she is deceptive in her ways and in her mind he is right” William Georgi said; you could see the years of work and whether and on his once brash face. It had been like that since the invitation had arrived, since that day the brash and bold aristocrat had been spending most of his time in his study.

“I understand Father; I will be careful”

“Good now go get packed” looking uncertain but continuing “and remember we are Domus Pristis for a reason that might come to view soon with recent events”

“Ok” Hade said simply looking confused by his fathers words but left the room to go get his suit cases calling for Paul along the way up the stairs.

Hadrian Georgi was getting off a plane after a seven hour flight. The first class seats were luxurious but boring, though he wasn't travelling alone. Paul was with him; he had been his personal butler for three years. Paul wasn't just another servant, but he was also a good friend. He wasn’t the usual butler, he wasn’t stuffy, and most certainly not stuck up.

Hade walked over to a man with dark skin that was holding a sign that said GEORGI on it; “Mr. Georgi” the man said with a deep southern accent “I was sent by your mother to pick you up”

“I prefer Lord Benton, especially from people from people I don’t know”

“Of course, Lord Benton, my apologies; I’ll get y'all bags you can go wait in the car

“Thank you...” Hade stopped remembering that he didn't know the mans name

“Eliza, sir”

“Thank you Eliza”

The plantation was marvelous as they arrived as was the reunion with his mother. In fact everything had been since he had been here. He was to go horseback riding today, but just around the extensive grounds. He got up and dressed making sure to wear the square toed boots his mother had gotten him, then he went down to the stables. The stables were nice as he entered them but was soon brought out of his thoughts by running into someone.

“Hey, watch it” a girls voice came from the ground; Hade looked down and saw a brown and blonde haired girl on the ground. To him she was very pretty.

“Sorry” he said helping the girl up to her feet again

“Its cool”

“How about you join me for a ride”

“Ok I guess”

They rode around the grounds for a while until Hade noticed a smoke rising from where the main house was located. They rode fast and hard to get there. He was horrified with what he saw; the house had been burned to the ground. He was wondering what had happened when Paul came running towards him.

“Sir, Sir”

“What happened, Paul”

“They came and took her, they wore masks as black as the night”

“What did they want? Who did they take?”

“They took your mother”

“Did they leave a note or something”

“Yes sir they did” Hade took the paper that was being offered;

“Lord Benton,
We have your mother, you have until the night that passes the red moon in Venice, Italy or she dies and the House of the Dragon will fall.
Lord Chesterfield
Carpe Diem



Chapter 2: The Refusal of the Call

It was impossible, how could this have happened? They rode to a hotel, the majestic, and got a couple of rooms for the night. After they got settled in and a very long phone call from his father; Paul sat everyone down in the living room of Hades suite;

“Before you say anything I want you all just to listen” they all nodded

“Long before you born, over fifteen hundred years ago, the House of Georgi and the House of Agusti were both founded; each family with its own traits and skills. You know that your family motto, Domus Pristus, means House of the Dragon. That was earned because the first Georgi supposedly defeated a dragon and took in part of its ability's; then suddenly the Georgi’s were at the top of the world, there allies, the Agusti’s, didn't like that. There motto, Carpe Diem, means seize the day and was assumed after there numerous defeats by House Georgi, they always seize the day when they can.Ever since ancient times they have tried to defeat the Georgi’s”

“So Lord Chesterfield is a member of the House of Agusti?”

“He is not just Lord Chesterfield, but Alfred the 22nd Duke of Chesterfield, Head of the Ancient and Serene House of Agusti, just as your father is William the 23rd Duke of Poppywell, Head of the Ancient and Victorious House of Georgi. his feud with your father was not just that of an Ancient family but more personal. He was in love with your mother and she chose your father over him’

“What are we going to do” Jennifer asked

“Hadrian will lead an expedition to find his mother and save the honor of his family”

“I cant lead an expedition, I'm only sixteen years old”

“The first Dragon Lord was fifteen when he slew the dragon, so don’t get me start on being young”

“I can’t its impossible for a boy like me to lead men”

“Its is possible! Think of your mother! You barely got to know her! If that doesn't change your mind the this will bring more honor to your ancient name”

At that moment Hade made his decision; “Rally the vassals, tell them that the Dragon Banner will once more fly proud”

“Yes MiLord”

“Deliver this message to my father, tell him that I will lead the expedition. Tell him that I will not give up, tell him that the Dragon Banner flys once more”

“Of course sir”

Chapter 3: The Crossing of the Threshold

Hadrian had just stepped off the plane when he was assaulted by reporters about his mother. It had been like that since the mornings paper headline: MOTHER OF THE HEIR OF AN ANCIENT HOUSE KIDNAPPED; that was a major story, since the House of Georgi was one of the oldest surviving family lines in Europe.

“MiLord have you heard anything about...””Lord Benton do you have a statement the kidnappers””Your Lordship...””Your Grace...” the questions kept coming and finally Paul stepped in and led him to the car. He noticed the strange silence that came with the reporters but dismissed it after they were on there way.

The Domus Pristis (same as the family motto) was an elegant palace. It had been in his family for over a thousand years. It was eloquent and large, standing with six stories with over two hundred rooms. The ball room was also the throne room from ancient times.

“Paul”

“Yes sir”

“Why didnt the reporters follow us out at the airport”

Paul went pale and was suddenly very uncomfortable “Wah..What do you mean”
“You know what I mean”

“Very well sir...where to begin? Your father hired me for you protection. Why may you ask? It is because I have a gift; I can see into and lightly influence there thoughts”

“Impossible”

“I assure it is quite possible”

“Your Grace, Your Grace” a young attendant yelled running into the room

“Yes what is it”

“This arrived for you”

Hade took the letter and went over to his desk to open it;

Lord Benton,
Come to the place where it ended to get information about your mother.
Lord Wimfield
Toujours Pur

“The place where it ended? What does that mean”

“Wouldn’t that mean the Fu’twa River?” Jennifer said and at Hades blank look continued on “it was the final battlefield of the Dragon House and the Pure House. After the battle ended they House’s became allies”

“How did you know that”

“I...I don’t know. Stuff just comes to me; it has been like that since I was born”

“Well anyway where is the river”

“It is in Rome”

“Then we go to Rome”



Chapter 4: The Belly of the Whale

Rome a once great city, the capital of the world for sometime. Now just a historical city in Italy. Hade was currently waiting at at river bank for Lord Wimfield to appear. The river flowed beautifully under the sun. A man tall and lanky approached the boy. “Ah..Lord Wimfield”

“I have information concerning your mother”

“What is it”

“In the deep Amazon Jungle there is a fortress...your mother is being hidden there”

“Thank you Lord Wimfield”

“You mustn't go it is far to dangerous”

“I must find her”

“Then I bid you luck”

Hade left immediately to return to the Majestic. He entered the living room of his suite to see Paul waiting there for him..;

“We go to the Amazon, tell the Vassals to meet m at the main Windomeir Hotel in Peru”

“Yes MiLord”

“Are you with me Paul, Jennifer?”

“To the end” Paul said looking to Jennifer and she nodded her consent

“We know enter the belly of the whale, leaving everything we know behind”



Chapter Five the Road of Trials

Hade and the hundred or so men under his command entered the tall and expansious forest that had been deemed the Amazon Jungle. They rode in a line of jeeps each man armed with guns and sabers, except for Hade who only held a side arm in his holster.

It had been two weeks since they arrived in Peru and overall a month since his mother’s abduction. It had taken a week and a half to get armed plus 23 million pounds, while hardly denting the family fortunes; it was enough to make sure not to spend much more.

If he had to call and ask his father for more resources than he had been given there would be hell to pay; he didn’t need that right now. The added stress of funding on this expedition to find his mother was really getting to him. He thought of all the men under his command. He thought of Paul, his best friend and confident, then there was Jennifer who he couldn’t get her off his mind.


“I'm scared”

“Don’t be” he said putting his arm around the girl

“Its not just me, but for you to”

“For me?”

“Yes for you…I don’t want to lose you again”

“you wont”

“promise me”

“I promise”

“Sir ahead,…look” someone shouted pointing ahead, there where 200 armed men on foot

“Put the jeeps into a circle and get the men inside of it” Hade started barking orders; he turned to Jennifer “Climb up this tree and stay still I tell you to come down…do you understand”

“But..”
“Go now, whatever happens I will find you”

She left and began to climb up the tree .Hade didn’t know what would happen but took cover behind the jeeps after the gunfire started. The bullets rang had and fast on them cutting down men like flowers. He drew his gun and fired his clip to the point where it was empty. He hastily reloaded, just in time to because to men jumped over the jeep he was hiding behind. They didnt even see him so he shot two bullets into the assaualnts.

They fell to the ground and he looked around; he saw at east fifty of the men dead or dying and in that moment he yelled “Retreat, fall back”at once they all who were left standing jumped into the jeeps and drove off, Hade in the lead. He knew he had failed at his task, they would surely kill his mother now. They drove on fora while before stopping and making camp. The underpass was dark and gloomy when he was woken from his sleep; there was a tugging in his mind to wake up.

He walked into a nearby clearing where he saw the most beautiful woman he had ever seen, “Hadrian come to me”, he walked over to face her firery eyes

“Who are you? What do you want”
“I am no one and I am everyone. I have something for you, a gift per say”
“What is it” he asked, looking suspicious
“The sword of the first Georgi, a sword that ony one of his ancient blood line could use”
“Impossible!!” he exclaimed not believing the woman
“let me prove it to you” she said while drawing out a medium length, it was a silver blade with a golden handle, the Georgi family crest infused on the top of the handle.She also produced a jewel inlaid scabbard, which she handed both to him.
“How”
“There is no time; lead your people south”
“I will” he said and she suddenly disappeared leaving him alone in the clearing. He returned to camp and woke up all the men. They woke up grumpily and Hade walked quietly with them south until they reached the enemy camp. They loaded up there weapons and waited for Hades orders, “Paul, take half the men and come in from ‘round the back. I’ll give you five minutes then we charge” he waited till he saw Paul in position and then yelled “CHARGE”
The bullets hailed on them hard and fast. They had been waiting for them! There supposed trap failed though as the enemy men started falling slowly. The battle was over before it had even begun, they had won! He saw Jennifer approaching him and turned to her and kissing her.

Someone called to him and two men came over carrying a body as he turned around. His stomach turned when he saw who they were carrying over; it was Paul. He just couldn't be dead, he couldn’t.

“I’m so sorry”
“Bury him”
He knew he didn’t have the time to be sad, after that moment he knew they were testing him. This was the third one, to see how he would react to the death of his closest friend. They would pay; oh yes they would pay!



Chapter Six: The Atonement

With his remaining men he continued into the jungle. Leading the men at the front of the line with Jennifer at his side. He had tried to get her to go back but she had flat out told him no, that was what lead to this current conversation;
“You must go back; it is to dangerous for you to stay with us”
“Hade do you hear yourself? I have already told you no”
“Please reconsider”
“No I will not”
“MiLord we have arrived” Lord Brightory, the Viscount Brightory, said; he was a senior vassal and had taken over as second in command when Paul died.
Hade saw a large and imposing fortress. There were no guards on the walls; it looked abandoned but he couldn't be sure. He walked to the front gate and pushed it open. It simply swung open to his surprise and he motioned for his men to follow him and Jennifer very quietly.
The entrance hall was magnificent, it was donned by a large crystal chandelier. He heard a fire burning and a soft melody playing in a adorning room, he followed the sound and opened the door and went in alone.
He had never been more surprised in his life, his mother was sitting on the couch
sipping on wine;
“Ah welcome my son to Beno Fortress”
“What! How? You were kidnapped”
“I faked it to be with my true love, Alfred 23rd Duke of Chesterfield”
“Then Father was right about you, you did use him”
“Yes I used him, the Dragon Line should’ve ended long ago and will end now; Bring in the girl” she ordered, and a man brought in Jennifer with a knife to her throat
“Why her”
“She is the one you were destined to marry; if she dies the line ends”
“How could you, you were my mother”
“But you were really never my son” after that statement she drew a sword and advanced
He drew his sword and dived to the left killing the guard that was holding Jennifer “Take this and run now. Dial #3” he tossed her his phone and she ran out
“Now its just you and me” she advanced on him
Their blades clashed mightily against each other. Silver against steel, this was one of the deciding factors in the inter-house war of Georgi and Agusti; he managed to get in a few blows and get the upper hand, but the upper hand kept coming and going. One thing he noticed though was that the steel of her blade was white symbolising purity; it must have been the Ancient Family Sword of the Agusti’s. There was a searing pain in his chest and he looked down, the blade was in his chest. He didn’t fall right away, first he drew the sword from his chest and threw it at her.
The door burst open as he fell backwards in a graceful arch, he smiled a grim smile. Jennifer was saved; he died a graceful death happy that she had been saved.


Chapter Seven: Apotheosis

“Where am I”
“You are neither here nor there”
“Your Dead! I saw your body”
“Yes I am dead”
“Am I dead”
“It is your choice to be or not to be”
“Where are we”
“We are between”
“What?”
“We are in the middle of heaven and earth. So we are in nothing and everything”
“If you choose to go back you can and if not you will cross over”
“I wanna go back”
“Then go back but be warned; the final between the serpent and the dragon will happen”
“The serpent”
“That is the Agusti family symbol”
“Oh... What will happen during the final battle”
“The Dragon will crush the Serpent but at a great loss”
“What cost”
“That I cannot say; it would cause more harm than good”
“Will I live”
“Yes”
“It is time for you to choose”
“I will go back”
“Then it is time for you to go”
“I will miss you”
“And I you”


Chapter 8: The Ultimate Boon

He was awake; where was he? The surroundings were of a forest and men fighting. The guns blazing were deafing to his ears; he saw Jennifer crouching near him “Jennifer”
“Your dead”
“No I'm not; theres no time to explain, now what is happening”
“We were shot down while taking your body to the hospital. We managed to land in an old fort and are under siege”
“How many men are left”
“About a hundred against seven hundred”
“Take me to the wall”
“This is the way” she led him through the ruins to a high placed wall where men were firing into a large hoard of men
“Hold fire!” everyone stopped firing even the Agusti troops “Alfred Duke of Chesterfield, I challenge you and you alone to a duel of honor. The rules of old apply, any and all properties of the loser go to the victor; do you accept”
“I accept your duel Hadrian Earl of Benton”
“Your choice of weapons”
“Pistols, single shot”
Hade went down to the front gate and had it opened for him. The enemy men moved into a circle around the two combatants; Alfred tossed a pistol to him and they took ten steps away from each other. Alfred’s shot missed but his didn't, it went straight through his hear. The dead man fell face first into the mud and the men scattered as bullets began to rain down on them. Hade was left alone with the dead man and saw a blade hung at the mans side.

It was the Agusti blade and he knew it was his. However he also knew that it should remain here to memorate where the Pure House fell. He drew it from the scabbard and and pushed it into a stone nearby.

Chapter 9: The Refusal of the Return and Rescue from the Without


They had done it, the Agusti’s threat were gone. Hade was glad and happy but mainly he didn't feel like going home. He wanted to stay here with Jennifer; he didn't know if she would come with him if he went back to England. He did know though that if he stayed so would she.

He wasn't going home, he just wasn't or at least that was what he thought. His thoughts were soon interrupted by a knocking at his hotel room door; he opened it and was surprised at the sight of his father. His father was standing there with a grin on his face; “You did it my boy, you defeated the House of Agusti”

“I did it at a heady price”

“You did very good; now where is Paul”

“Paul’s dead”

“I'm sorry”

“Ill be fine”

“Hade” a new voice said from the door way

“Come in, Jennifer” Hade called and told her to sit down “This is my father, William the Duke of Poppywell”

“Your Grace” She curtsied

“Please just William”

“Now I do believe it is time to come home”

“I don't think I want to”

‘Go home Hade’ a voice in his head influenced him

‘But...’ he thought

‘Go home and take her with you’

“What are you talking about” his father eyed him

“Only if Jennifer can come with us, her parents are dead”

“Very well; we leave in an hour, pack your bags”



Chapter 10: The Return


The return was comfortable but long; Central America was easily a nine hour flight back to England. He returned to the castle and got settled back into the comfortable lifestyle of the English Aristocracy. Jennifer was two though she was being a little shunned, in return for services rendered he granted her a minor title from the Agusti’s, the Viscounty of Dameron, along with a small manor and 15 million pounds all courtesy of the once Ancient and Noble House of Agusti.

It wasn't easy but over the last couple of weeks they came into routine, though it was another week before his father announced a ball would be held in two days to honor there final victory in the centuries long battle. The two days passed by quickly and before they knew it they were getting ready for the ball.

They entered together and the entire crowd was silent when the herald announced “His Grace Hadrian, the Duke of Chesterfield, Earl of Benton, Baronet of Horowitz, Defeater of the Once Great House of Agusti and his escort Jennifer, Viscountess of Dameron” they were approached by numerous people over the course of the night all were pretty much pointless except when an old friend of Hade’s, Fred Baronet of yTon “Come on Hade leave this wanna be and join us true Aristocrats”

“No thank you I'm fine”

“Hade your out of your mind”

“No I'm very much in my mind”

“What ever man, come back when your ready”

Chapter Eleven: Master of Two Worlds


Five years had passed, five years. Times where changing greatly, the Great House’s were falling but House Georgi wouldn’t under his watch. His father died last year leaving his the 22 billion pound estate.

Jennifer had stayed of course and they had married on her 18th birthday. They had as son, James, who would be two years old next month. He had returned twice to the the spot of the final battle and decided he would buy the land and build a memorial for the fall of a great House for even though he resented the Agusti’s, he respected there lineage.

The ball at Winterfel Castle had been a starting point for him and Jennifer, though Winterfel burned last year with his sleeping father in it. The 1000 year old castle collapsed, but luckily the vault was saved, and so where the most precious family heirlooms.

It would be rebuilt of course, but the strain on the family resources wouldn’t be just a dent, it would be a rather large dent even though they could recover form it, it would be very though. Things were good by any other means though, he had thought about just selling some of the unused homes but that idea was rather though because he would have to pay for some of them to be repaired.

The House of Georgi, now the Most Regal and Ancient, would survive no matter what the world would throw at them they just would it was in there blood. By his actions they were forever vindicated to the world…there influence would be unrivaled…they were forever vindicated…





© Copyright 2012 dakodamg (dakodamg at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1850099-Domus-Pristis