*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1850257-PE6-Synopsis--Vignette
Rated: E · Assignment · Other · #1850257
A climatic crisis pulls Juliet and Keno apart.
Synopsis

Keno joins Juliet in the emergency room at the hospital after she nearly drowns by an enemy of Keno’s.  The suspect is caught, plus it was all captured on security video.

Juliet is grateful that Keno is with her, but is angered that this happened and feels he is responsible for the attack.  Keno explains that the man is wacky and spent all his money to join the poker game in which Keno the big winner.  She also wants to know exactly where he disappeared to.  He presents her with a Tiffany engagement ring and says he was buying her this two carat diamond and wants to marry her as soon as possible.  Juliet melts and accepts.  The next day they take their vows at a chapel in Las Vegas.

When they return to Chicago, Keno finds them an upscale townhouse and Juliet spends her days decorating it.  Juliet is happy and soon discovers she is pregnant. 

About three months into their marriage Keno returns home beaten and bloody.  Juliet insists they go to the hospital and helps Keno to the car, but instead of their car, she takes an Audi that Keno says he has borrowed.  Speeding along the streets to the hospital, Juliet crashes.  The car is reported stolen, and there are drugs in the trunk.

Juliet is taken to jail, and Keno has a police guard at the hospital protecting him.  He is in serious condition in ICU.  Juliet goes to prison and Keno isn’t aware of anything.. 


Vignette #6 – Story Climax

It’s a joy to jog the trails through the park and circle the pond.  Slurping a quick drink from the public fountain, I exit the path and hit the pavement.  Only two blocks from taking a cool shower.  My hair is plastered to my head from sweat and salty droplets burn my eyes behind the aviators.  I settle into a walk to cool down while passing a courtyard of climbing roses in pink and reds.  I’m happier than the birds singing in the trees.

I want to tell Keno that I tested positive and we’re having a baby.  Besides, I already blurted it out to Delphina this morning.  Her definite roar of excitement had us giddy as drunken sailors.  I feel a little guilty not telling my new husband first, but he said he had meetings this morning and I just couldn’t keep it to myself.

He’ll be surprised and as happy as I am.

Rounding the corner to my block of town-homes with lush lawns and impeccable landscaping, I spot a silver car coast to a angled stop two feet from the curb near our home.  Next, the driver stumbles out of the car and slumps to the ground.  I halt a mere moment, but he doesn’t make an effort to get up.  What’s wrong with this guy?

Creeping closer, I know the dark hair and clothes.  “Oh my god!  Oh my god!”  Falling to my knees, “What happened?”  My brain is screaming for answers.  “Keno…answer me.”

“Two guys,” he said through labored breathing.  “Beat me up.  Took the car.”
Keno’s face is unrecognizable.  Blood is everywhere, including me.  “Honey…did you call the police?”

“Took my phone, too.”  Keno moaned with pain, trying to stand up.

“Get in the car,” I said assisting him.  “Who’s car is this?” 

He stood on wobbly legs and I guided him to the passenger side.  He shuffled and gasped when he put pressure on his left leg.  “Borrowed it.  I’m okay,” he added.

“Hell you are.  Get in.”  He sat and I cautiously lifted each leg into the car and closed the door.  His head lay against the passenger window smearing it with blood.  I hustled into the driver’s seat and pulled away forgetting to secure Keno’s seatbelt.


Keno moans as I press down on the accelerator to get him to the closest hospital.  I didn’t want to wait for an ambulance and take a chance of him loosing more blood.  He continues to moan and his hands are just hanging at his sides. 

“It’s okay.  I’m getting you help.”  I’m sweating with fear.

Keno mumbles words I don’t understand.  It sounds like ‘no’ or ‘go’.  Not sure, I continue to weave in and out of traffic beeping the horn so other vehicles get out of the way.  I almost run over an old man with a cane.  I hear a woman shout, “Slow down idiot”.  Traveling down a few more blocks passing other cars, their owners flipping me off.

Police sirens blare in the background.  Catching sight of a squad car in the side mirror, I feel relief.  Help is on the way.  An escort.

“We’ll be there soon, Keno.” 

The light is still red when I get out of my lane and use the next lane for on-coming traffic. I pump the horn and accelerate to get through the intersection.  I never saw the taxi coming.  It rammed the rear passenger side and we spun out of control up onto the curb through a glass window store front.




I don’t remember anything after that.  I came away with a concussion, deep bruising all over my body and 37 stitches on my left arm.  Medication kept me in a fog for three days, but Delphina and Aunt Delia were there whenever I awoke.

“Keno.  Where is he?”  I remember asking and catching the looks between both women. 

“He was taken to Community Hospital.  He’s in an induced coma.” Aunt Delia held my hand.  “We haven’t received much information, but it could be a long recovery.”

“When can I see him?”

Again the women exchanged looks.  “Don’t worry about that just yet,” said Delphina.

“Why is there a policeman here?”  I had just noticed the uniformed man standing near the door.

“They have a lot of questions to ask you, Juliet.”  Aunt Delia’s hands were cold and trembled.

Delphina mops her eyes with a balled up tissue.  She turned her face away from me to blow her nose.  Grabbing more tissues she breaks out with a wrenching sob. 

“Mom?  What’s wrong?”

Her shoulders shake, and Aunt Delia squeezes my hand tight.  Her eyes are watery, too.  “Please tell me,” I heard the begging in my voice.

“Sweetie…um,” she paused to clear her throat.  Aunt Delia closed her eyes when she said the words, “You lost the baby.”

Baby.  Keno was in a coma and I killed my baby.  Our baby.  I don’t deserve to live.  I want to die.

Delphina held my face ever so gently in her hands.  “I’m so sorry, Juliet.  Really really sorry.”

I didn’t cry.  I just closed my eyes and wished to die.  I screwed up.  I should have called an ambulance.

When I was physically able to walk on my own several days later, I was released into police custody.  Delphina wailed, Aunt Delia was calling a lawyer, I agreed to any and all charges, and there were many.  I had nothing to fight for.  I was drained and pathetic.

I never saw Keno again. 



I don’t know how long I stayed in jail.  The lawyer, my only visitor, since I refused to put anyone on my visitor’s list said he could get me bail, but I knew that would certainly put Delphina and Aunt Delia in a bind even though they’d get it back after sentencing.  What would stop me from taking off and disappearing?  I was a danger to myself.  I just wanted it over with and not drag on for several months.  I didn’t need a trial.

I asked him about Keno.  He said he knew he was heavily sedated and hasn’t spoken.  It looked like a long road ahead in recuperation.  I think he was being kind to me.

I liked my solitude even if the jail was a whirl of noise and chatter twenty-four hours a day.  My cellmate spoke only Spanish, and I only English so it worked out well.  Maybe her name was Rosario, or Rosita.  It didn’t matter.  She smiled with gaped teeth when I offered her some of my crappy food.  My lawyer got most of the charges dropped.  For some reason I was named an accomplice regarding a stolen car and possession of drugs.  Whatever.

Before long I was shackled inside a bus and driven to a women’s prison.  All I saw for miles and miles was fields of wheat and grain.  Then pastures of cows and farmhouses loomed in the distance.  It took all damn day.  It was broiling hot, we all smelled rank and my throat was so dry, I couldn’t form spit.  I missed my Bazooka gum.

Prison life is very routine.  You wear the same color everyday—navy blue.  My new cellmate was happy to see me.  She likes to talk.  A lot.  I wish I could shut her up.  Maybe I will.  After all, I am a criminal.



© Copyright 2012 Endless Enigma (charmed1 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1850257-PE6-Synopsis--Vignette