*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1850381-Unnamed-As-of-yet
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: ASR · Script/Play · LGBTQ+ · #1850381
A brief introduction and an intriguing interlude.
ACT I

Scene 1

Matt walks in to a boisterous coffee shop and orders a Grande White Chocolate Mocha. He seems a little stiff. He sits down in one of the brown pleather chairs lining the walls and pulls out his laptop. The floor is painted concrete and the walls are splattered with local art selling for international prices. Matt catches the attention of a young Mark sitting directly across from him.

Mark

(Walks over to Matt) Is this seat taken?

Matt

(Looking up, in a temporary daze) No. At least not by me.

MARK

Do you mind if I sit?

Matt

Be my guest (He smiles).

Mark

(He takes the seat and leans intentively towards Matt) My name's Mark. (He smiles) Are you new here?

Matt

Listen. (Matt straightens and faces Mark) I'm not gonna lie, the fact that you're flirting with me is insanely sweet. But I've got baggage. And from what I can tell, I'm not gonna lose it anytime soon.

Mark

If it makes you feel better, I've got baggage, too. (Clearly not giving up)

Matt

(He looks at Mark, again) Well, I've got a giant purple hand bag with a walk-in closet and a fully functional bathroom. (He waits for a reaction) What do you have?

Mark

(Unphased) I've got a massive red suitcase with a couch and a living room. So, I guess our bags would work well together.

MATT

(Stairing in bewilderment) Why are you trying so hard? You don't even know my name.

Mark

My friends tell me I have this ability to know what people are like before I even talk to them.

Matt

So, what do you know about me, so far?

MARK

Well, first of all, you're not from here.

Matt

You should be a detective.

MARK

You're hurting. Something drove you here, and it wasn't the ocean breeze calling your name. Judging by your reaction to my introducing myself, you're either trying to keep yourself from getting hurt or you're trying not to hurt someone else. My guess is that it's a little of both. And I seriously doubt it has anything to do with a significant other. Oh! And I know you're gay, but you're not out of the closet... At least not where you actually live.

Matt

(Matt staired at Mark with astonished disbelief. His mouth hangs open)

MARK

(Mark chuckles) Listen. I know all about baggage. I know how it sucks to get hurt. And I especially know how bad it sucks to fight with your own mother.

Matt

(He jumps to attention. He looks around, suspecting something) Who told you that? How did you know I fought with my mom?

MARK

I have to admit, I saw the e-mail you're typing.

Matt

(Matt looks down and then slams the computer closed, embarrassed) So, what do you see in me that you want so badly?

MARK

(He looked at Matt for a moment, contemplative) To be honest, I don't know.

Matt

I thought you had... a gift? (Sarcastically)

MARK

Well, that's what's so intriguing. Normally, I do, but I just can't seem to get to the deep stuff.

Matt

The deep stuff.. As If knowing how I reacted to simple flirting was my fear of hurting and being hurt with one sentence wasn't (Making air quotations) "deep stuff"?

MARK

(He chuckles) So, would you like to go out with me?

Matt

(Suddenly remembering why he was even there in the first place) Well, (he hesitates) I'd like to be allowed to go home... But I seriously doubt that'll happen.

MARK

And this isn't the first time you've been kicked out.

Matt

Why bother talking if you can just read my mind. (He says dryly)

MARK

I don't know why you were kicked out, at least... If it makes you feel better.

Matt

If you think about it, you've already answered that question.

MARK

Because you're gay? (Matt nods) Seriously? (He nods again) Your mom... really? I didn't think that happened anymore.

Matt

Hi. (Matt reaches out a hand) I'm the son of a bitter baptist minister who's ministry ruined her marriage.

MARK

That one I didn't suspect. But I was close.

Matt

(Pauses to study Mark) So when did you want to go out?

MARK

(Smiling broadly) Tonight. Now.

Lights drop. End scene.
© Copyright 2012 M. T. Bates (photo_boy76 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1850381-Unnamed-As-of-yet