*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1850712-Climax-Vignette
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Assignment · Other · #1850712
Climax vignette


Synopsis



Severino receives a letter from Angela. She has been placed in an asylum because the authorities believe she tried to burn her house down while the children slept, rather than watch them go hungry and suffer. Italy has joined the Axis Powers and the United States has prohibited travel to Italy. The sanctions include the prohibition to send money to Italy even though it is known that many working me support their families in Italy.



Angela writes a letter to Severino telling him that she will be released if he comes and takes responsibility for her. Since she is married no one else can do this. Severino cannot travel to Italy which means his wife will have to remain in the asylum unti the war ends. America has not entered the war yet, but the sanctions will stand until war's end. Unable to travel to Italy to save his wife, Severino begins to think that Angela is being punished for his wrong doings. He prays that he will be held responsible for his improper behavior and that Angela will be saved.



__________





A letter my grandmother wrote in 1937


A Letter From Nona

By: Bikerider



The first pale bands of dawn stretched across the eastern horizon as Severino sat at the window of his second floor apartment. It was time to go downstairs and open the store, but he needed more time to think, to try to come up with some way to help Angela.

He poured another cup of coffee and unfolded the letter. A shudder ran through his body as he read the words again. It began:

Marito Mio Carissimo. Severino mumbled to himself, "my dearest husband." Some husband, he thought. I can do nothing to help my wife, and at a time when she needs me most. He sipped the strong coffee and read on.

The doctors say I can be released from the hospital, but only if you come and take responsibility for me. I want us to be together again, I want to be reunited with our children—I want us to be a family again.

Severino stopped reading and looked out the window at the brightening morning. The city was coming to life. Thin lines of smoke rose from chimneys and men walked along the cracked sidewalk, their head bowed against the early morning cold. His shoulders sagged as he read on.

I do not know why anyone would believe I would try to hurt my children. But while I attended Sunday mass a fire began in our house as the children slept. Before long the neighbors began to accuse me of trying to kill my children. Can you imagine me hurting our children?!

Severino held the letter in his shaking fingers. Angela would never hurt her children, that he knew more than anything. The people of Bresimo had known Angela for all of her life. It's the village where she was born, and grew up. And it is the village where she chose to live after they were married. No, Severino shook his head slowly from side to side. Angela would never hurt the children on purpose. There had to be a mistake made.



Angela had gone to church that Sunday morning in March. She had stoked the fire in the kitchen stove, but not because she wanted to harm her children. She had stoked the fire so that the house would be warm when her sleeping children awoke. She had left her home to attend church and while there the alarm was sounded by someone passing her home. When he noticed the smoke pouring from the windows he ran to the church to alert the people.

The Carabinieri had been called and after speaking to some of Angela's neighbors, she was taken into custody. They had applied the law of Pelagra. It was an arcane law, but one the authorities used when a person appeared to have no way to support themselves. It was also the law Mussolini used to have his wife placed in an asylum when she became an inconvenience.



Severino put his coffee cup on the side table and sank into the seat cushion and began to think. There must be something I can do. I can't allow my wife to stay in the horrible place.

But the biggest problem facing Severino was the impending war. Italy had signed a pact with Germany and Japan. His country was now a member of the Axis Powers. It was a pact Severino cared nothing about. Most Italians didn't understand why Mussolini had taken that step, but most of them really didn't care either. However, it didn't take long before the consequences of this simple act was felt by many Italians, those living in their country, and those living in America.

The United States imposed sanctions on Italy for joining the Axis Powers. Men living in America could no longer send money home to their families. And they could no longer travel to Italy to visit their loved ones. Everyone knew it wouldn't take long before the financial burden was felt by the families that relied on money sent to them by their fathers or husbands. Severino knew that Angela and his children had not been spared the financial hardships.

But now the problem had become much more serious. Angela had been arrested, his children separated and placed with family members. And Angela was now suffering in an asylum...for something he had no doubt she didn't—couldn't have done. I have to find some way to get her out of there. He thought as he pushed himself up from his chair and walked to the door and stepped out into the hall.

He hurried downstairs hoping that his friend, Alesandro would stop in at the store today. Alesandro had influence with the government. He was wealthy and educated, he knew the law. If anyone could help Severino, it would be his friend. He had to find a way to travel to Italy and have Angela released. He would insist that she accompany him back to America. If she wanted to live as a family again she would have to do it in America. Maybe now she will realize how much better it would be if she lives with me.



Alesandro came into the store in the late morning. As usual he bought only cigarettes, but before he could leave Severino asked if they could talk privately.

"Sure, my friend," Alesandro said. "What can I do for you."

Severino told him what he had happened to Angela while Alesandro listened without comment. When Severino finished speaking, his friend remained silent. He ran his hand through his dark, wavy hair.

"My friend," Alesandro began. "This is a serious problem, and a sad situation." He opened the cigarettes he had just bought and removed one and placed it between his lips. "Travel is prohibited, you are also not allowed to send money. I don't know if there is anything that can be done."

"Alesandro," Severino said. "I don't have a lot of money, but I will pay all I have to be allowed to travel to Italy...to obtain my wife's release from that terrible hospital."

"I know someone that might be able to help. If a permit to travel to Italy can be arranged, he is the man who can do it." He stubbed his cigarette out on the floor. "But I cannot promise anything, my friend. Understand that this is a very difficult time for everyone. America's involvement in the war in Europe is not far away."

"I understand. Tell your friend I will do whatever he wants. I must have my wife released from that hospital. In her letter she said that all that is needed is that I come there and take responsibility for her. I don't want to let her down, I must go to her and free her."

"I will do what I can, my friend. I should have an answer by tomorrow." Alasandro left the store.



Severino spent the rest of the day thinking about Angela and her living conditions. He had to find a way to travel to Italy, secure her release, and bring her and the children to America. He couldn't allow his wife to stay in that hospital.

That night Severino opened a bottle of red wine and poured himself a large glass. He wasn't hungry, his worry for Angela stifled his appetite. A glass of wine would settle his thoughts. By ten o'clock he had finished the bottle, but his unsettled nerves were no calmer. At ten-thirty, long after he usually went to bed, he heard a knock at his door.



"I couldn't wait until tomorrow to tell you what I found out my friend." Alesandro stood in Severino's kitchen, a lit cigarette held between two fingers.

"I'm glad you came," Severino said as he pulled a chair away from the table and nodded for Alesandro to sit. "I hope it's good news that you bring."

Alesandro lowered his gaze to the table before he began to speak. "I'm afraid no, Severino. Things are worse than even I thought. Much worse." He flicked his ash into the ashtray. "I spoke with anyone I thought could help. I even asked for some returned favors. There is nothing anyone can do."

Severino's shoulders sagged and he dropped into a chair. "Nothing...nothing at all."

"I'm sorry my friend. I understand your urgency, and your disappointment."

Severino remained quiet, disappointment filled his eyes. "There must be something I can do. I can't leave my wife locked up in that hospital."

"It is the impending war, as you know." Alesandro stood and pushed the chair against the table. "I'm sorry my friend, I wish I could have helped."



After Alesandro left Severino stood at the window and saw his reflection staring back at him. He needed to shave, stubble pricked his chin. What kind of husband are you that you can't even help your wife? he asked himself. Turning from the window he filled his glass with wine and took a long drink. I should not have left her there alone. I should have stayed, found work someplace, took care of Angela and the children. What a fool I've been thinking I could take care of a family from so far away. I have failed. A war will last years, and I will lose my wife, she will not survive in the hospital if there is a war. I can't even bring my children here with me.

He finished the glass of wine and walked to the bedroom and laid down. He knew he would not sleep. Thoughts of Angela and what she was going through would course through his mind and keep him awake. He let his head fall against the pillow and he closed his eyes. I thought coming here and making money would mean not being put in this kind of situation again. I was wrong. I've been wrong about so much. Coming here, to America. My time with Antonia. Is that why God is punishing me? Is it because of my infidelity? My God, he raised his voice. Why punish Angela for my wrong-doing? She has done nothing wrong.

Severino sat up in bed and pulled his knees to his chest, then placed his head against his knees. In the quiet darkness of his room, he began to pray.

"God, if you listen to me, please, don't harm Angela. Take me, punish me, do what you will with me. But do not punish Angela, I beg of you." The silence in the room was broken by Severino's sobs as he prayed again and again that Angela be spared punishment for his deeds.

When the morning light broke through his bedroom window, Severino still had not slept.



Word Count: 1775

© Copyright 2012 Bikerider (bikerider at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1850712-Climax-Vignette