*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1851780-Someday-my-prince-will-come
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Contest Entry · #1851780
Contest Entry for What-if:- what if romance movies create unrealistic expectations
Blaise stepped back from the mirror admiring herself.

The dress suited her and the occasion. Black and low-key, it hugged her figure well. It stopped short of being formal and was somewhere along the borders of "classy" and "casual".

It had taken her ages to locate the right dress. When Scott proposed to her tonight, she wanted to look amazing, even if it was in a room full of diners. More importantly, she didn't want it to look as though his question had been something she had totally been expecting and had tarted up for.

Although she was sure that he won't pop the question in a restaurant. She had dropped multiple hints about what she thought was a proper location. a restaurant however nice wasn't romantic enough. It was too... pedestrian. And theirs was anything but an ordinary love.

She mentally traced their progress through the years. She glowed a little remembering the dates they had. Scott hadn't appeared that interested in her at the start of things. But he listened. He was such a good listener and counselor and shoulder to cry on when she had one bad date after another. Things had just progressed naturally from that point.

She found that the best way for her to describe their love to other people was to simply rely on the movie He's just not that into you. Everyone seems to have watched it, and she loved the semi-disbelief most people had when it hit them that they were witnessing a true-blue "exception" to the rule.

She remembered fondly the time when he had said that he couldn't stand to be near her and then had turned around and said he couldn't be without her either. It was very dramatic. In that moment he had been dark and brooding and oh-so-handsome. A striking resemblance to a certain Cullen.

She definitely knew that he loved her after he had introduced her to his family. They had appeared surprised to see her (okay, his sister had looked distressed and hostile), but they quickly proceeded to make her feel very welcomed. His mother had even ventured to say that she made him a real man. If this wasn't a love story, she didn't know what was.

Grinning happily to herself, she settled by her door and waited for her prince to come.

------

The weather was lousy. More than once Scott had to swerve hard to avoid lousy drivers as well.

Cursing softly, he glanced quickly at the passenger seat, checking that the bouquet of flowers had survived the erratic drive.

More importantly, he made sure that the man holding the bouquet was still in one piece.

"Scott, keep your eyes on the road!"

However the admonishment was delivered half-heartedly, since the man was smiling widely.

"Do you think the roses are too tacky? Or slightly insensitive?" Scott picked at the question worrying him once again. "After all I'm dropping quite a big bomb here..."

Kelvin gave Scott's hand a quick squeeze. "Well, she's your best friend, even if she's soon to be your ex-girlfriend, you should know her best, and you said that the flowers would help."

"Yeah she loves them, always said when we first met that flowers were a friendship thing too, that it wasn't fair that only lovers got them." Scott felt his forehead creasing. "I hope she likes them."

"And me."

"She'll love you... just like how my sister adores you right now. Keeps saying I made the right call." Scott paused. "It's like that movie... that one starring that B-list star...you know, the one who looks a little like Keanu. Can't remember the title now, but remember how the guys both fell in love and the lead guy's girlfriend was all supportive if a little upset?"

"Yeah and how it worked out cause she met a guy friend of theirs and got it on?"

"Oh yeah. I remember him. Good-looking too. Pity he never found Hollywood fame."

"Well we've got loads of male friends for Blaise to chose from."

"I know. Anyway I think she knows already. There was that whole tense phase in my teens with my parents and everything. My sister was basically dropping hints all over the place about how we were of a different species and how she wasn't right for me unless she transformed into a..."

Kelvin snorted with laughter.

"Well nevermind that. I hope the ice won't be slushy. It isn't as cold out there as it should be."

Kelvin shook his head. "Why can't we just stay in? I would think she would just like a big glass of wine and pizza or something once you've said your speech."

Scott sighed. "I know. And we probably won't go out. But I want to be prepared you know? She's been watching Serendipity again. Loves the look of that ice rink scene. She's like a kid sometimes I think. I just wish they had a big tree at the rink in this city like they did in the movie. I think she would like that."

Kelvin grinned. "Well let's make a trip to New York with her someday."

Scott felt his heart melt a little. "You really are a prince!"

"Only if you'll be my knight." came the cheeky reply.

-------








© Copyright 2012 Ms.Kafuffle (ms.kafuffle at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1851780-Someday-my-prince-will-come