*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1852661-Left-in-the-Dark-prolouge-and-chapt-1
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Fantasy · #1852661
All electricity mysteriously stops working. it has been this way for 11 years.
PROLOUGE

Donny sat in his dark house thinking, as he had been for the last four hours. Finally he decided, I’m going, I’ve been wanting to leave this all behind anyway.
Donny was what most would call a strange person, he was as open minded as you could get, if something was at all possible and extremely plausible he believed it was most likely true. If he spoke to anyone about religion they would most likely think him crazy. If he told people what he thought about this modern world and the technological age they would think him stupid. He knew better.
After Donny decided to go he grabbed two guns, a mark two twenty two caliber rifle and a camouflage twelve gauge Mossberg. As he grabbed the box of ammo he had packed just for this reason he thought, how long is this going to last me. He decided he wouldn’t take the guns, may as well get used to the bare minimum; who knows if they’ll ever fix this. Who cares, sure a lot of people are going to die but in the long run we’ll be better off. At least in a hundred years every human will have a chance to be happy (unless they fix this).
He grabbed a backpack and filled it with supplies, a big slab of flint he had stolen, a combat knife, some bandages and shirts, and the last of his milk bones. He slung the pack over his shoulders and called, “Roscoe! Let’s go buddy!”
The big coonhound came running, his impossibly long ears flapping like wings. Donny knelt down and ruffled his best friend’s short fur. “Here we go buddy. Time to leave this chaos behind.”
…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….
Josh waited in the dark ally; he could not even see his hand in front of his face. Perfect, he’ll never see me coming. He was waiting for the old man, he came by every Tuesday. Usually he’s back sooner; maybe he had a tough hunt.
Just as Josh was about to call it a night he spotted the lantern, bobbing with the old mans every step. He waited, like he had for the last three hours. The lantern came closer and Josh began to have second thoughts. Then his stomach gave a rumble, steeling his resolve. I have to eat, in the new world this is the only way I can survive. The old man was getting closer, he stopped and bent down. What the hell is he doing? Did he spot me? Josh couldn’t see what the man was doing but he didn’t care, he was anticipating the meal soon to come.
The old man straitened and continued walking, probably just adjusting his load. When the old man reached Josh’s hiding spot Josh leaped out, swinging the only weapon h could find; a thick log. The old man ducked and Josh lost his balance, causing him to almost fall. A fist connected with the back of his head and he tumbled to the ground.
The old man continued on his way, now dragging a deer and an unconscious man along behind him.
………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….
Shit, thought Donny as he seen the man dragging something behind him, just keep walking, he already seen me. Roscoe let out a bark and Donny put a hand on his dogs head to calm him, “It’s ok bud.”
As he came closer Donny seen that he was an old man, you best not try and rob me. As they walked past each other Roscoe took off, “Roscoe! Get your ass back here.” The huge dog barreled on; seemingly oblivious to his master’s call, when he reached the stranger he jumped on him. “Roscoe!”
“It’s ok!” bellowed the stranger, “always happy to see an old friend.” Old friend, what the hell is he talking about? As Donny approached the stranger was scratching his dog behind the ears. Then the dog went to see what the man was dragging, he must have liked it, his tail was going a mile a minute.
“Donny, it’s me!” said the stranger, “what are you doing around these parts?”
Donny recognized the voice. “Holy shit! Jon?”
“Yeah, it’s me.” said the man, “come to my house, we will share a meal.”
Donny couldn’t believe it; he hadn’t seen his old friend in ages; since the power went out almost three years ago. “Sounds good! Whatda’ got there?” He beckoned to the old man’s load.
“Just the results of a successful hunt.” Jon replied, “Come, let us go enjoy them.”
Donny called Roscoe to his side, he came reluctantly; still sniffing the dead deer. “We’ll follow you.”
After a short walk they arrived at Jon’s house. The unconscious man began to stir, scaring Donny half to death. “Jon I know you hate everyone but you don’t have to start killing people.”
Jon laughed at the joke, “I don’t hate everyone, just most people. And I’m not gonna kill him. He tried to rob me. Figured I would drag him along. He could be of use to me.” Jon leaned down and punched the young man in the jaw; putting him back to sleep.
Donny laughed, “Still alittle crazy I see.” Jon left the already dressed deer outside but dragged the man in behind him. Donny shook his head and followed, Roscoe at his heels. When they got inside Jon slumped his attacker into a corner and said, “Have a seat, I’ll get Roscoe some jerky.”
Donny obeyed while Roscoe looked to the unconscious man and gave a growl before curling up at his master’s feet; it had been a long walk. Jon came back, throwing some deer jerky on the floor for the dog. “So,” he said as he sat down at the rickety old table, “what brings you too these parts?”
Donny reached down to grab some of his dog’s meal, “thanks for the jerky!” he joked. Jon let out a laugh, “Roll over and I’ll get you some!”
“Anyway,” Donny continued, “I’m leaving town. Going to live in the woods, away from these animals.”
With a speculative look Jon said, “Now that’s an idea, mind if we come along?”
Confused Donny said, “We?”
“The kid,” Jon beckoned to the sleeping man in the corner, “if he wants to tag along.”
“Fine with me,” Donny smiled, patting Roscoe on the head as the dog licked his chops, “we wouldn’t mind the company.”
The kid woke up slowly and Roscoe snarled at him, it always amazed Donny how nasty his loveable dog could sound. “Alright Roscoe, leave the thief alone.”


PART ONE: The Beginning
CHAPTER 1
Donny sat at the table, talking with Jon. He opened a beer, poured a little into Roscoe’s bowl, and offered one to Josh. The eighteen year old was not a bad kid, who could blame him for trying to rob Jon. Everyone was starving. Since the power went out eleven years ago there had been chaos, nonstop.
The kid’s eyes lit up, “I’ve never had one. Where did you get it!?”
After eleven years of no electricity everything slowly disappeared, people had stolen generators from wherever they could; soon enough there was a gas shortage. With no electricity to run factories, processing plants, and the like everything went dry. The world had fallen into chaos. Most countries officials, including the good old U.S of A, had been killed in riots sooner or later. Now it seemed there was no hope to get things back to normal.
Josh took the beer, “Thank you guys for letting me come with you. I won’t let you down!” Josh took a sip from the eight year old beer and Donny said seriously, “You better not, or I’ll cut your throat in your sleep!” Josh almost spit his beer out. Donny and Jon laughed, “He’s just kidding!” the old man chuckled.
Josh joined in the laughter, “So, when are we leaving?”
“Later today,” answered Donny, “when it starts to get dark.” Jon cracked his beer and said, “When did you decide to leave like this?”
“Well,” Donny replied, “It’s been ten years, I don’t think this is going to change. I would rather live off the land than watch these animals kill each other.”
“I’ve been thinking the same thing,” Jon agreed, “but I didn’t want to wander into the woods alone, old as I am.”
Donny got up, “what a mistake technology was, look at the ancients. They knew how to live, take what the world gives you and use it how it is. We had to take everything and make it better, although it was for the worse. Now all that’s gone, the world is too populated for everyone to live without it, and most people don’t know how to anyway.”
“Your right,” said Jon, “we have become a weak race. Most people can’t do anything without some kind of technology to help them, now we are all screwed!”
Donny made for the door, “We’ll be alright, when we get to wherever it is we’re going. I’m taking Roscoe for a quick walk.”
When Donny got back he found Jon and Josh preparing, “You have any bows?” he asked. Jon smiled, “sure do, only two though. We will have to make one for the kid here.”
The trio spent a few hours searching Jon’s house for anything useful, it seemed almost everything the man had was. They found a small hand operated planer, perfect for making arrows. Jon also had a big bag of dryer lint he had stowed away, perfect for starting fires. They found another big bag of lighters Jon had collected over the years. By the time they left they had everything they would need. Between Jon and Donny, they had a wealth of knowledge that would aid them as well. For instance, Jon had a blowgun. When Josh asked what he would need that for he said, “It just so happens I know how to make a poison from mushrooms, shit, and some other things. Put it on some darts and this little thing will take down a deer.”
When it got dark they left, they had no idea where they were going, all they knew was that they would head north, for some big expanse of forest or other.
Walking through the city was always dangerous these days; gangs roamed the streets day and night, praying off the weak and strong alike. The trio was careful, but being careful wasn’t enough. When Donny seen a group of at least ten men walking towards them he wished he had brought the guns after all. All they had were the two bows and the sword Jon had given Josh. Jon was somewhat of an ancient history buff, so was Donny; Jon had been his History teacher in high school. A replica of a Roman gladius hung from Josh’s hip, but that didn’t mean he knew how to use it.
The leader of the gang had a rifle to his shoulder, already pointed at Donny. Jon gave Donny a look and took off; please don’t shoot him, thought Donny. The gang leader just laughed, “Let the old man go, he is no threat to us!” Donny laughed to himself, think again douchbag!
As the men approached the one with the rifle said, “Loose the knife kid.” Josh obeyed and it clanged to the pavement. “Now,” said the gang leader, “give me all your shit, if you do it quick I’ll let one of you live. Maybe the dog!” The gang members laughed while Roscoe growled. The leader pointed the gun at the dog, breaking Donny’s heart. “Hey! Control your dog!”
Donny knelt down slowly, “ok buddy, don’t worry.” Then he heard what he had been waiting for, twang! When he looked up the gang leader had an arrow through his throat. His gun fell to the ground and Donny picked it up and thrust the barrel into the nearest man’s stomach, when he pulled the trigger all he heard was a resounding click, shit! No bullets! He rolled to his left, scooping up the discarded gladius. When he stood Roscoe lunged at one of them ripping at his throat. Donny ran at another and sunk the gladius into the man’s gut. The next one got his groin sliced. That was enough to send the pussys running, there numbers thinned by three.
Jon came back bow in hand, for the hell of it he sent another arrow at the fleeing gang, taking the nearest man in the back. His buddies left him. Donny gave Jon a reproachful look. “What!” said Jon defensively, “he may have some bullets for that gun!” Donny just laughed. He looked to the man he took in the groin, he was spilling blood everywhere. “You don’t want to bleed to death do you?” The man shook his head, unable to talk from the pain. Donny knelt down and cut his throat before going through his pockets.
Throughout the whole ordeal Josh just stood there, awestruck and shaken. “I’ll go see if that one has anything useful.” Donny nodded and checked the one with the arrow in his throat, when he found nothing in the man’s pockets he ripped the arrow from him. “Josh!” he yelled, “Get that arrow back. We’ll need as many as we can get.”
The trio stood in a circle, “Alright,” said Jon, “what’d ya get?”
Donny held out his hand, “Nothing really, just a bunch of empty shells. And a used condom.” Josh laughed, still alittle stunned from the bloodshed, “all I got is five dollars, useless.”
Jon was excited, “wonderful, we hit the jackpot!” Donny put a hand on his friends shoulder, “Old money is useless, whats so wonderful?”
“Not the money,” laughed Jon, “the shells. It just so happens I brought my old reloading kit along. I’ve never used it so I’m sure there will be some 243 bullets in there!”
Donny laughed at thier good fortune, “Beautiful, too bad I left my guns at home.”
“Yeah,” agreed Jon, “well we better keep moving. The sooner we get out of the city the better.” Josh was still standing there, eyes wide. “Sorry,” he said sadly, “I wasn’t much help.” He looked to Donny, “Will you teach me to fight like that?”
“Sure,” replied Donny, “until then you carry the gun, I’ll take the gladius.”
The three friends walked on all night, unmolested, with Roscoe padding along behind them happily.
When the sun rose they found an empty building to sleep in. Jon reloaded the empty shells while Donny schooled Josh on the use of a gladius. When they sat down to eat Jon surprisingly pulled some potatoes from his pack. “Where the hell did you get them!?” exclaimed Josh. Jon smiled, “I kept a garden in the woods where I hunt.”
The three men enjoyed venison and potatoe stew, giving Roscoe what was left over. Donny watched his dog chase rabbits as he fell asleep, thinking, I cant wait to get to wherever we’re going, my dog will be a lot happier in the woods. We all will.

© Copyright 2012 Don Richter (dr3311donny at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1852661-Left-in-the-Dark-prolouge-and-chapt-1