*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1853247-Future-Times
Rated: E · Fiction · Environment · #1853247
I imagined my retirement day in around 2060s...Hope you like it!
Future Times


    Days are like the water that transmogrify into clouds and before you know it, they're replaced by new ones, and you can do nothing but move on. When I first held an iPhone I was taught that the world we are heading at so rapidly will not be as we know it, and that we must spread the green life on earth. But little did I know that 'Green Revolution' would soon end up being 'technological revolution'. I am Muntaha Muzaffer, a biotechnology developer, from the year 2062.

  My eyes snapped open as my bed beeped in an attempt to wake me up this dawn. ''Morning…'', it said when I sluggishly crawled out of it, "…important day today, huh?" What is it talking about?!  All ready, I entered the kitchen downstairs and found Elixir, my robo-maid, with my breakfast. "All the best for today", she mused before I teleported myself to my garage. She never says that; is it my birthday today? I stepped into my 'fly-boy', it rose like an air-balloon and with the speed of a missile it had reached my office, where I was accosted by every employee, some of whom I didn’t even recognize, and they rather congratulated me for what I'd done all these years. Ok, what's going on?  I just stood there, pinned to the floorboard with a puzzled expression, when out of the blue these pixels shape-shifted into a digital letter, in midair, before me. All it read was that I retired that day.

  When I was on my way back, the only thing I thought of was the nice peaceful vacation I'd long planned to take, with the help of the time-machine I'd secretly completed. Excitement rose through my spine and my mind raced like a rat in a maze. Unlike many people I was actually enthusiastic about my retirement. I flew straight to my lab and stood gazing at my time-machine which was actually just like a remote-control. You've just got to type the date and time in, and wait till this vortex opens up and you're sucked into the air. But I didn’t know where to go. I looked out of the large window and was struck by the horrific view I saw every day, but never before took into account- tall skyscrapers rise high into the space, robots and 'fly-boys' surround every air molecule like bumble-bees surround their hive, no sunlight spears the earth, no blue breaks the cloud, the sky is painted grey and it looks like the end of the world. Where is all the greenery gone? They weren't lying after all; there is really no greenery left! A wave of guilt and anxiety washed down the excitement in my spine and a black-hole formed in my heart, making me shudder. That's when I realized what injustice we, humans, had done to this planet.

  We are captured in a dome that has no exit to the outside world- a world that reflects the mother earth we killed a long time ago. We are so competitive that we are, now, playing a game of chess with our own lives and this cunning game keeps repeating itself so that no one gets anywhere.

  I knew then that my work's not done yet and decided I'd go back to 2012, when the time had been changing its course, and try to make up for the harm I've don’t to mother earth as a competitive fool, by convincing them to stop wrecking the earth because some things are better left unexplored and that the future to come is dark and will be nothing but null and void. I would alert them that in the future to come, trees are like unicorns- just a mythical creation of imagination, and every soul craves the greenery they once owned but always took for granted. Beside, majority of the animal life is extinct and all that's left of them is their videos. I would tell them time and again till it's etched on their minds that the humans have not only devastated de earth but are now on their way to capture the rest of the universe too…

  I am at home now and I just told Elixir about my plan. Hopefully, I will be travelling in the train of time by tomorrow noon and I still feel a deep remorse for having been a part of all this and not escaping my cocoon to look at the world I was contributing to.

    On the road of life, we come across two ways that look alike-right and wrong, but it is up to us to choose the correct path by means of our mind's eye and intuition.



© Copyright 2012 scarlet (slam_bet at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1853247-Future-Times