*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1853371-One-Day-at-a-Time
by bren
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #1853371
Avoiding a bully
One Day at a Time  292 Words

Tick, tick, tick.

Paul stared at the classroom clock. “Less than a minute to go” he thought as he lifted his bag. Everything he needed for homework was already packed so he could leave the schoolyard unnoticed by his nemesis. He rose just seconds before the bell sounded, and was out the door and out of the building in record time.

Students were already gathering in groups and Paul found himself secretly admiring the pretty blonde from math class. The dreaded voice carried across the yard, “Hey, there’s small Paul. You tryin to avoid me, punk?”

Realizing the object of his distraction was now looking at him, Paul felt his face flush with color. Turning quickly, he set off on a sprint for home. “Geeze,“ he cursed himself. “Way to impress. No wonder they think I’m a dork.”

As he turned the corner he tripped on a downed tree branch. Grabbing it, he faced his aggressors and thought for a split second that he would actually attack. Quickly regaining his senses, he held the branch like a spear and threw it with all his might, hoping to buy enough time to make it the last hundred yards to the safety of home.

He took the porch steps in two leaps and flew through the front door, turning immediately into the hall bathroom to catch his breath.

“Paul, is that you dear?” His Mom would nag him to report the bullies if she saw him before he gained his composure. He preferred to out smart them.

“It’s me, I’ll be out in a minute for a snack.” Paul splashed some cold water on his face and began plotting how to make it home unnoticed by his foe tomorrow.

© Copyright 2012 bren (bren13 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1853371-One-Day-at-a-Time