*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1855310-Bonsai-Thai-and-Sushi-Restaurant
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Review · Reviewing · #1855310
Restaurant Review for My City Eats magazine
14240 SW 8th Street
Miami, Florida 33184
 

Description
Bonsai Thai and Sushi Restaurant
Paula Pellegrino

The partnership that produced Bonsai Thai and Sushi Restaurant could have only formed so naturally in a city with the cultural diversity of Miami. A young financial entrepreneur of Cuban decent would have lunch every week in a favorite spot run by a Thai woman who was being helped by her son, a sushi chef. The young entrepreneur never owned a restaurant but had always wanted to and the chef was open to ideas. Nearly four years later, the two men operate one of the most appealing and inspired Asian dining establishments in South Miami and the whole of Dade County. Built on land that was not-so-long-ago uninhabited, Bonsai is dedicated to providing the expanding local community with cuisine and ambiance the likes of which normally exist only in ultra-chic metro centers like South Beach and Coral Gables. Bonsai fuses the elements of atmosphere and food through a highly imaginative and detailed formula. This effort results in the freshest ingredients presented in a most innovative way amidst a backdrop of pleasingly contemporary, Far-Eastern style décor.

While the menu is always evolving, there are some dishes, not found anywhere else, which have earned a reputation so impressive that people are traveling from all around to have them.

Rockin Shrimp, lightly battered and tossed in honey-ginger sauce, and Tiger Tear, tenderly sliced beef with red onion, scallions, cucumber, lettuce, tomatoes and lime, are two appetizers that start diners down a delicious path and feed anticipation for the delights to follow.

Bonsai’s sushi bar is an artist’s workbench and its signature rolls are creations featuring hearty combinations of fish and its accompaniments finished with the sauces and embellishments that make them so memorable.

The Ninja Roll is filled with salmon tempura and crab salad then topped with tempura flakes, spicy mayo, more salmon, masago and eel sauce. The Joey Roll, named after the loyal customer who dreamed it up, is made with crab, tuna tataki, avocado, cream cheese and a layer of baked seafood. The mother of all sushi rolls, near and far, is Bonsai’s Lobster Bomb. Stuffed with lobster tail tempura, crab salad and avocado, it is brought to its ultimate heights with spicy mayo, red tobigo, lettuce and eel sauce. But that is not the end of this roll; it is served with a side of sautéed lobster, scallops and mushrooms. Entrees like Sweet Basil, Masaman and Panang Curries feature the finest in Thai cooking in relation to healthy ingredients like crisp vegetables, chicken, duck, beef, pork, seafood and tofu. Sauces are authentically sweet and spicy and portion sizes certainly encourage sharing.

Obviously, the proprietors of Bonsai are not interested in a place where people come and go quickly. They intend to make a visit to their restaurant an occasion to be savored from beginning to end. Desserts like Sweet Thai Donuts and Fried Banana Ice Cream are treats that should not be resisted, even though stomachs may be full, if diners want to make the most of their experience at Bonsai. Also, a great variety of premium sake along with a whole selection of cocktails made from it, like the Bonsai Martini, which is chilled and topped with fresh cucumber, and the famous Bosai Sake Bomb, lend an element of celebration which can be carried on throughout the meal and beyond.

Bonsai has a second room which is ideal for private parties of up to 50 people. Dinner is served and then furniture is cleared for dancing. The room is wired with a sound system that can accommodate guests’ ipods so the soundtrack for the event is all their own.

Phone: 305-220-7755
Fax:
Contact business directly | Visit web site
Delivery: No
Takeout: Yes
Reservations: Not Needed
Alcohol: Beer & Wine
Neighborhood: Kendall
Dress Code: Everyday
Parking: Self Parking
Price Range: 
Open For: Breakfast,Lunch, Dinner
Categories: Casual Dining
Cuisine Types: Japanese, Sushi, Thai
Services:
Payment types accepted:
   

Hours of Operation:
Sunday 1pm-10pm
Mon-Thurs 11:30am-10:30
Fri 11:30-Mid Sat 1:00pm-Mid

Become a member now!

         





© Copyright 2012 SaysItBest (paulapell at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1855310-Bonsai-Thai-and-Sushi-Restaurant