*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1855360-Escape-From-The-Gallows
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Fantasy · #1855360
A small story inspired by my constant gaming.
         "Murderer!' Members of the crowd spat at me as the city guards escorted me to the old wooden gallows. My head was down and I could hear the laugh of one of my escorts. "Damn you, Christian!" A familiar voice shouted, this drawing my attention. Her voice, I could have sworn I heard it before. I looked up to find it's source, but one of the guards shoved me forward and broke my line of sight. I continued the walk to my death, and finally luck struck.
         An angry onlooker spat at me and my chance arose. I lowered my head again and the loogie found it's mark in the guard to my left's eye. his pause to wipe it away gave me the chance I needed. I wretched my arm from his grip and pushed away from the guard on my right. The shackles still limited my defense, but the freedom of the rest of my arms was what I needed. I spun and swung the iron bracers, aiming for the the guard's general direction. He didn't even have time to draw his weapon before I struck him in his cheek. He was sent wheeling away just as the guards from the gallow descended upon me. I could feel a pommel striking me over, and over again in the back of my skull. I gave up the fight and was again at the mercy of my oppressors. They dragged me to my wooden death this time.
         Tradition went out the window with my outburst. A headsman was stalking towards the platform and that's when I knew my end was near. Distracted by this, I felt a seering heat draw up in my stomach. At first I thought it fear, but the cool feeling down my leg revealed it's gruesome nature. I was stabbed and bleeding. When this realization dawned on me, I fell to my knees and clutched my wound. My thoughts went to home, to all of the people I've left behind, and all the pain I've caused. I closed my eyes to keep from tearing.
         Accidents happen don't they? I didn't mean to kill anyone. He from me, am I not due retribution? The guards didn't believe me, "A noble would never steal from a peasant like you" they said, but he did. Now I'm paying the price for it, for not thinking this through, not controlling myself.
         I looked up at the headsman, his black mask that of death, and the axe the scythe. Defiance in my eyes, I looked into the eye holes, where his cold blue orbs rested. He must have felt I was just another kill of the day, as he raised his axe behind his back. The bastard didn't even give me the dignity to die the normal way. He meant to take my head with a side cleave and would have if not for the arrow that threatened to decapitate him. He dropped almost instantly and his axe flew off to the side with deadly force. Screams from the crowd indicated where it must have landed. The other guards surrounding me found a smilar fate and before I knew it, I kneeling alone on the wooden platform.
         I ran.
         I ran as fast and as far as I could. The guards that attempted to block my path were killed as quickly as they appeared, and my heart rose higher and higher. Maybe I can make it home, I thought, Maybe I can escape! Out of the countryside I went, until I made it here, to tell you my story.

         So, will you let me in?
© Copyright 2012 Rion Destro (blastermod at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1855360-Escape-From-The-Gallows