*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1856169-The-Missing-Millennium
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by DrDeep
Rated: E · Sample · Mythology · #1856169
Beginning of a story about present-day teens transported back in time to a fantasy world.
A handsome youth materialized in the center of the shimmering globe of light. As the sphere receded, Dan Lenato stepped forward cautiously and looked around in wonder.



He had been deposited in the middle of a large clearing. All around him ancient trees stretched up impossibly high, barring most of the light shining above their canopies. What little came through sliced in sharp rays down to the forest floor, creating a dazzling pattern of golden light amid the darkness of the shadows cast by the huge trees.



On the opposite side of the clearing he could see a beautiful young woman, clad in leather and fairly well-armed with dagger, sword, a bow and arrows. What caught his eye though was her blond hair, kept in two gorgeous, long braids that came down to her waist. Behind her, partially hidden in the gloom of the forest, he could make out an animal lying peacefully beside a black mare, a dog or wolf, more likely.



He took a few tentative steps closer and saw that his own clothes had disappeared, to be replaced by pants made out of heavy dark cloth, thick black boots, and a chain-mail shirt. Girdled to his waist was a broad sword, several pouches he apparently used as additional pockets, and a short axe. Looking down, he also saw a stoud leather cap, which he automatically picked up and placed on his head. It was a perfect fit.



"Dan, is that you?" Surprised, he glanced over to the girl. How did she know his name? Then he looked more closely, and now, after the initial wonder of the situation was wearing off somewhat, he recognized the young woman. Of course, who else could it be, after she had jumped into the painting just ahead of him.



"Vanessa, hey! Wow, is this for real?"



"I'm so glad you also came through! Look at you, a real warrior. I can't believe we are actually here."



Dan smiled and took in a deep breath of the fresh air. " Yes, this is it all right. This is Pertoria, and we're right in the middle of it."



Suddenly the wolf behind Vanessa pricked up its ears and sat up, holding its head at an angle. In the far distance a low crackling, as if something were breaking off branches from the trees could be heard.



Dan walked over to stand beside Vanessa, a worried frown beginning to crease his forehead. Vanessa too was staring in the direction of the noise, and drew her sword. One thing was wishing for a new life, full of adventures and wonder, another thing was surviving the perils of such an enchanted place.



"I guess, this isn't a game any longer," Dan said. It appeared that he too was having second thoughts about actually living the adventure that up until now had been taking place within the protective walls of nothing more sinister than an empty garage.



The crashing was getting steadily closer. Dan also drew his sword in an elegant sweep and adopted a defensive stance. His adrenaline was starting to flow, but amid the mounting excitement he still had enough time to marvel at how his body responded so effortlessly to the situation. It was as if he had always been a bold warrior, and not just a 16 year old schoolboy until just a few moments ago.



By now they could both see movement in the dark shadows of the forest off to their right.

Just as they were beginning to retreat from the threat, the golden sphere that had deposited them both in this world materialized again, exactly between them and the source of the noise.



The sphere glowed brilliantly for a moment. And then, once more a lone figure stepped from its depths.
© Copyright 2012 DrDeep (malagenho at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1856169-The-Missing-Millennium