*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1856510-Ice-cream-night
Rated: 18+ · Monologue · Family · #1856510
What happens when the hubby wants out of the house for a little while?
Normal school nights, we have homework, dinner then bath time. But there are nights like tonight that the hubby wants to just get out of the house, especially when the weather is hot. Tonight was one of those nights, what we had planned was not what we had in store. Normally my hubby and me would go for a motorcycle ride or take the vette out to the country. However tonight I wanted ice cream, to be specific a banana split. Little did I know this was one banana split that I would be talking about for days.

My hubby and I know we have little time left with our girls before they are totally grown and out of the house, well all but the little one who is only seven but the other two seventeen and fifteen are slipping out of our hands with each passing moment. So when we start feeling the soon to be empty nest stuff coming on we want to grab them and take our time back to when they were little. One way to do that is a trip to the local Dairy Queen for ice cream. Tonight was one of those nights, so at nine-thirty instead of heading them all to bed we loaded them in the car and went to the DQ for ice cream and some fun.

Only did we remember why we don’t take all the girls at once to do anything together after we were almost there. With the oldest and youngest acting like they we’re both two again and the middle one crying over them acting so immature, my hubby looked at me with a serious face and said. “Yea this was a great idea!” I had to agree, since we were at the drive up instead of heading inside and they were all still at it. Now don’t get me wrong, I am proud of my girls and can spend two hours and two hundred pages on why that is but at time I wonder why I did not drown them when they were still puppies to save my life, ok that is not true but funny all the same. Anyways the best of the night was still to come.

Ordering their favorite treats then ours plus one for my mom who stayed at home the woman taking the orders wanted nothing more than for our order to be over and us out of there. With the girls in the back still acting like the world was about to come to an end over a flash light, the hubby shaking his head and the ice cream in hand I drove off wanting nothing more than to be home with my computer and a nice cup of coffee, on ice of course, and work on my next chapter. However that is not what I got at all. After everyone piled out of the car the hubby announced that we would be eating the ice cream on the porch, so that nothing got spilt in the house. That was when the most amazing thing happened.

Those same girls that were fighting in the car, acting like they would never be any more then strangers living under the same roof started acting like sisters again. Laughing at the way grandma wanted the banana split I got instead of the blizzard I got her, then how the middle daughter’s boyfriend always showed up when food was around, which he was there by then too. The laughter was flowing, the girls transformed back to the four year olds I liked (yea best age to me) and I called switch, where we literally switch ice cream with another’s. Of course we all switched back and forth, the boy included until they were all gone. The laughter and light heartiness of the simple trip to the DQ on a March night on the porch turned out to be magical.

‘Yea this was a great idea!’ Was the last thing the girls heard as they headed off to bed.

© Copyright 2012 LG back to the writing board (barefoot_gypsy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1856510-Ice-cream-night