*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1856734-Generation
by George
Rated: E · Other · Philosophy · #1856734
A letter on my era and my generation. Your thoughts are welcome.
Dear God,

  In my youth I was so foolish as to believe I might have wanted to live in a different age.  I thought, in my ignorance, that the past was a better day; the future must be a better place!  I spent too long blinded to the wonders of my modern era.  I have wasted too much time dazed by the colors of confidence.

  The past knew as much unrest as we have now.  The pens that recorded our history have given way to media.  Our children have access to ideas we are only now beginning understand ourselves.  The generation after mine are becoming adults and are beginning to make their mark on the world.  I wait tentatively to see if this is the generation that will get it; my parents had these exact worries, and their parents and so on.  The only thing that is different today is that we know a little more.  We have greater tools and more profound ideas.

  Thus, I no longer wish to live in the next age, or the last.  I am not entirely certain that I haven't.  I want to live in my time and discover more wonderful things.  I want ever to be amazed by something new and be stilled in awe at your works.  I cannot imagine being happy in a world where the knowledge of my day is persecuted.  Though I have made feeble attempts to understand a greater joy, I admit that I cannot conceive absolute joy in a world where there are no questions.

  If you happen to glance at these words, God, I pray... let the generation after me understand more than I do.  Let our children discover joy and be loved.  Allow them the opportunity of a broken heart and let them grow into better people because of it.  Don't let men lose faith in themselves.  I beg you move our hearts to forgive our fathers and move our children's' hearts to forgive us.

  Yours, Truly,
  George
© Copyright 2012 George (grimlyte at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1856734-Generation