*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1856742-The-Coin-Box
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #1856742
This is a short story about an incident which happens in a book shop.
The Coin Box

It was a pleasant monday morning when a lean, ten year old boy walked into my book shop.
I had not seen him before. Having just opened the shop, only three or four customers had come in.
He looked tense as he paced back and forth.
The early morning sunlight seeping into the room accentuated his tenseness. His
attention settled on a book finally and he read the title under his breath,his lips barely moving.
"Eat, Pray, Love".

Thrilled by the choice of  this young boy and a million thoughts fighting in my mind, I gave him the bill. He opened his bag and took out a coin box made of clay. It was painted in bright colors, unlike the pale face of the boy.

He broke it open and gave me a handful of coins and took the book. A drop of tear trickled down his eyes, and his face now looked free of tension.


Two years later the same boy walked into my shop, accompanied by a thirty five year old lady. He walked up to me and said, "You helped to make my mom understand that she deserves a happy married life." He took out a coin from his pocket and a Thank you Note which mentioned that the coin was the last one which remained in his coin box.

Not the actual money value of that coin, but I knew that it was so valuable for that boy. The beautiful smile made his once pale face, bright with the colors of joy. But I was at a loss, and searching for words to thank him.
© Copyright 2012 malinisarovar (indukrishna at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1856742-The-Coin-Box