*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1857357-Saved-by-the-bell
by Lucy
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Dark · #1857357
A part autobiographical short story about an incident of bullying at school.
  I had started off ignoring them, even when my friend Rachel had told me they were talking about me, even when they started flicking paint in my direction, even when they started shouting my name and making crude comments about my figure, my breasts. Don't they know how much I hate myself, how much I want to cut my breasts off?
  I'm now sitting on a stool, my arms feel heavy leaning on the table in front of me with my head buried in them. My cheeks are burning red with shame, tears are pouring down from my eyes. I can hear the pack of boy's behind me laughing hysterically, laughing at me.
  "It's O.K Lucy" I hear Laura say in my ear. I don't move, too scared to lift my head up and show them they have got to me.
  "I don't understand it as Emma's are bigger than yours" It's Laura speaking again; she has her arm around my shoulders protectively. I wish I could just disappear through the floor and never come back. Go to a world without Mr X and Mr Y.
  I lift my head very slightly and see the teacher pretending nothing is going on even though it is involving the entire class. He is there looking intently at a piece of paper as if willing it to swallow him up, I know the feeling. It doesn't cross my mind that he should be doing anything to stop it. Probably because this has happened so many times before I have given up hoping.
  I feel something hit my back, a piece of crumpled up paper, I don't react. Mum always says you should just ignore them that they will give up if you don't respond. I have an awful  feeling that Mum couldn't be anymore wrong.
  "Why are you always so nasty to her, leave her alone" now Emma is involved, I can feel her standing behind me looking at the pack. It is not very often that anyone sticks up for me so I am grateful for the change.
  I peep out at the pack from the crook of my elbow and can see Mr X and Mr Y making obscene gestures with their hands and the others all laughing and pointing. Still the teacher says and does nothing.
  At least Mr X hasn't tried to touch me yet, that is always the worst. Wait, I can feel that familiar dread, the fear and the certainty that whatever is going to be happening is going to be excruciatingly embarrassing. Mr X must be close, his aftershave is clogging up my nostrils.
  Finally the bell rings. The pack forget what they were doing, running out the door and tripping over themselves in their hurry to go to their feeding time in the hall. The girls quickly follow, one or two of them giving me a pat on the shoulder, a hug. Rachel tells me she will see me in the hall.
  I wait until they have all gone then slowly uncurl myself, run my fingers through my wet and disheveled hair. The teacher is still there but he has his back to me. I know he is aware of me but he can't seem to turn and look.
  I slowly walk towards the toilet to hide while my face becomes less red and angry before I go out into the world once again. I have survived another morning in my living hell
  Saved by the bell once again.

 
© Copyright 2012 Lucy (anovice at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1857357-Saved-by-the-bell