*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1857419-Chapter-4--Bedelia
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Novel · Action/Adventure · #1857419
Bedelia and Pluto meet in Phase 1 of The Home Defense Course
WC 3572

Chapter 4  Eddard

Characters:

Eddard:  Bastard son of Lord Stark
King Robert:  Lord of All…
Brandon:  Starks brother strangled for his part in a rebellion. Had been betrothed to Catyln at the time.
Lyana: Robert’s love, Starks Sister
Jon:  Kings hand died suddenly


Scene 1:  Arrival at the Castle

Scene 2:  Going down where Brandon and Lyanna are burried.

Scene 3:  The King offering Robert the “Hand” Job.

This chapter follows the thrust of the earlier ones.  There is exposition showing all the fanfare of the arriving guests…Interspersed is a heavy dose of back story.  The history of many of the characters is shown


Bedelia

Chapter 4  Tier One

  Bede Illia Orascis Ossis Muscimbus muttered an oath as she looked at the assignment possibilities for the day's Tier One Practical Exercise.  Like some kind of conspiracy everyone seemed to have a partner booked in advance.  She was the only one left untaken, no surprise there, except for Pluto.  Poor Pluto, who next to her, had just been voted the least likely to succeed.

The Headmaster, walked over and put his arm around her shoulder.  “I know how discouraging this can be, but one of these days we’re going to find someone who’s just right for you.”

“Look, you don’t have to apologize… Squire Demetrio.”

“I was thinking,” he continued, like there was really any other choice, “of seeing how you and Pluto match up as partners.  Maybe the two of you have the right chemistry.”

“The only chemistry I have is called Bad Karma,” Bedelia replied, “who my partner is doesn't matter.”

“Maybe you’re just the ticket,” he continued, ignoring her pessimism,  “to settle Pluto down.”

“Sure, why not?”

“Anyway, he’s on his way over….good luck.“

  Pluto was a hazard to his partners, worse than all the Gnomes, Trolls and Bat Wraiths put together.  He had stepped on Shirley Velt’s  foot the prior week and she was still limping.  Audra  Rassen, he had knocked unconscious with his elbow.  Then there was Mona Ilsley.  He allowed her to get carried off to the "Brothel" and everybody was still kidding him about that.   

“Hi Bedelia, I’m Pluto… Guess we’re going to be partners today.”

“Guess we are Big Guy,” she answered.  Actually he was quite good looking and there was a kindness about him that you didn’t need telepathy to realize… but he was so awkward…Elves are supposed to be lithe and graceful!

He was carrying a huge sword  and thick oaken shield.  Everything he had issued came in size "Extra Large.”

“So it’s your turn to be stuck with me, Pluto.”  She said in a self deprecating tone.  Despite all her attributes the young Simian was hard on herself.

“Actually I’ve been hoping we’d pair up.” Pluto had had his eye on her ever since seeing Bedelia for the first time.  She’s a Simian Elf he’d been told, not knowing what that was supposed to mean.

“Why?”

“Because you’re fast on your feet and I don’t have to worry about stepping on you.”  He winked, trying to appear suave but the gesture was lame.

She glanced into his mind…He’s pretending a confidence that isn’t there.

“I’ll remember that,” she promised.  It was an easy promise to make because she always knew what others were going to do, at least an instant before they did it.  So the problem was not avoidance, but being strong enough to respond.  That was the true irony of her life.  Everything came down to that.  Knowing what to do was not enough without the power to do something about it.

The last memory of her Mother was the thought,  I told them what was going to happen and no one would listen.”  she had caught the psychic thread of her mom's anguish through the oaken door of the Kennel.  It was a final link to her past; a nagging and chronic recollection.  It would flood into her awareness, most unexpectedly at times, making her cringe at what happened twelve years earlier.  She shuddered, shaking her head as the fear washed over.   

“Since this seems to be a time for soul sharing,” she said gathering herself, “you ought to know that I’m not much help… the Gnomes just laugh at me.”

“I can deal with them,” he said good naturedly, “All you have to do is provide some distraction… and any help with the Bat would be appreciated.…”

“Then let me worry about that..., not that you should be getting your hope’s up.”

Her willingness to make a commitment beforehand, came as a surprise.  It was uncharacteristic, and fanned the coals of an unexpected determination. I can do this, she told herself, undoing the lid to her knapsack.  Then she took the Training Aid Doll and tucked it inside.  This was the part of the simulation that she hated most because the doll was supposed to represent a child it was her duty to protect.  Whenever she failed it made her feel like a bad mother…

She strapped on her sword.  It was only slightly larger than the boot blade of a seasoned fighter.  Her Bow was the smallest in the arsenal.  Putting on her diminutive helm she adjusted the chin strap.  Reaching back she felt for the quiver of arrows, one last time.

“It’s time” said Pluto, stepping into the Battle Alley.

…..

  The six tier Home Defense Course was a requirement for citizenship.  It was made up combat sequences that got progressively more difficult.  These sequences were battle scenarios a citizen and wife could expect to encounter in a last ditch battle defending their homes.  In the initial scenario of the first tier, the warrior and his battle partner took on a single Gnome, then two and finally three and a Bat Wraith.  A holographic/telepathic apparatus, operated by a retired veteran, would project these creatures in a simulated street scene and the student couple was expected to defeat them.  For Pluto it was a matter of coordination and quickness.  The threats, particularly the Wraith, moved too fast.  For Bedelia, it was a contest of strength.  Then there was the dying experience that accompanied a failure to pass. The depression of getting killed followed for days like a headache you couldn’t get rid of.

….

  The Gnome rounded the corner and bore down on them swinging a sword.  Pluto set his feet and crouched.  Bedelia, canted her bow, fumbling with an arrow.  Dread swept over her as she nervously notched the end.  Stepping out from behind Pluto, she drew a bead and let fly. The arrow ricocheted off the Gnome's chest plate and he hardly noticed.  She notched a second and let fly.  It ricocheted off his shield. 

“Draw your sword,” ordered Pluto, “Cover my right side.”

She stepped to his right, sword drawn.

The Gnome feinted at Pluto and then stepped sideways, striking her buckler and knocking her head over heels. However, before the Gnome could react, Pluto was on their opponent.  He swung his sword, snapping his wrist at the same instant.  The blow came with such power that it severed the Gnome in two.

“Awesome!" said Bedelia, looking up from the ground.

Demetrio blared through a bull horn.  “How many times do I have to tell you Bedelia?”  With that dinky bow you have to shoot for the head. You keep making the same dumb mistakes over and over again.  What is it with you anyway?"

“What is it with you anyway?" she muttered under her breath.  Pluto broke into a smile. “Sorry I wasn’t much help big guy,”

“You distracted him, just like I hoped," said Pluto.  "Just remember, this time there's two of them. I can’t cover my right and left both.  After the arrows, you take the one on the right.  Maybe we’ll get lucky.”

Bedelia felt something behind her neck.  When she had taken the roll, the head of her doll had poked out and appeared to be looking out from her knapsack.  ”Poor little thing, I know how scared you are...Mommy and Daddy won’t let anything bad happen to you.”

“Here they come, Bedelia, get ready."

She notched an arrow, stepped to the right and let fly.  The Gnome dipped and it flew over his shoulder.

"Steady now."

She notched the second and fired. It grazed one of the creature's ear and blood ran down its face...they kept coming. One approached from the left, the other from the right.

In coordination they struck from both sides.  Bedelia tried engaging her opponent but the impact of his blade tore into her buckler.  It stuck in the wooden rim and the Gnome kicked the shield to free it.  His sword tore loose and she careened backward.  Meanwhile, Pluto got beneath the guard of his adversary.  The thrust severed a  heart artery.  Bedelia struggled to her knees sputtering with defiance.  The Gnome drew back to deliver the coup-de-grace.  As he did there came a cry of absolute  rage.  The stocky fighter turned in surprise, just in time to feel his head separate at the shoulders.

Looking up, she saw Pluto trembling, uncontrollably.  Glancing into his mind she saw nothing but raw and unbridled emotion.

He is really taking this seriously, she noted.

"That was better, much better."  said Demetrio. "Quit shaking Pluto!...calm down and get a grip on yourself!  BEDELIA!, did you see the Gnome juke to avoid your first arrow?  Sometimes they telegraph that move....watch how they bob their heads....more to one side means that’s the side they juke to.  Pluto, you might be slow but you're bringing a load.  I like the way you two are working together.  This last vignette will be a bit more of a challenge....good luck."

“Save your second arrow for the Wraith,” he was still trembling and struggling to control his emotions.  “We’ll do this like we did before.  Now instead of two, there'll be three, and the flyer.  Try and keep them off me as I deal with each, in turn.”

Three Gnomes came around the corner.  One of them was bobbing his head from side to side.  He seemed to fit the profile.  She drew back and his head juked.  Giving him a lead she let fly.  His head popped back into the flight of the arrow.  It passed through his temple and he crumpled.

“Way to go!” said Pluto. “Wonder where the wraith is?”

"I hear it," answered Bedelia, “Where is it? Oh my gawd, it's behind us.”

“Damn!” said Pluto, staggering as he turned.

Bedelia barely stepped clear, as he stumbled backwards.  In a blur, she notched the second arrow, drew back and fired instinctively.  It was one of those great shots you get once or twice in a lifetime.  It caught the bat just as it banked and began swooping in. Feathers flew as the wraith convulsed in mid-air. Then the two Gnomes closed .  Bedelia had no time to draw her sword.  Instead, she swung the bow like a switch pummeling her surprised foe.  Pluto was chest to chest with the other.  Both had the hilts of their swords beneath each other's chin, straining mightily.  The Gnome gave way and Pluto cast him aside and drove him through. The second Gnome swung on Bedelia with his mace.  She leaned backwards, losing her balance and barely avoided the arc as it careened off the edge of her buckler.  She hit the ground and rolled to the side, her helmet askew, blocking her vision.  Once more Pluto’s outrage resonated in her mind.  The Gnome spun sideways, facing him and swung defiantly. Their weapons rang together.  Pluto stepped to the right slamming his pummel to the face.  The Gnome sagged and Pluto threw aside his shield and lunged for the throat. His fingers took hold and began to strangle.  Bedelia, recovering her wits, skipped deftly forward and plunged her blade beneath the Gnome’s armpit.  The tip came out the other side.

Demetro chuckled,  “Never seen it done like that...what a stretch. Oh, by the way, congratulations to both of you, on passing tier one.”

“See little one?” Bedelia cooed, looking back at her doll. “Mommy and Daddy will always be there when you need us..”

….

“Mind if I walk you back to the Gym?” Pluto asked as they stepped off the practice field.

Before she could answer, they were set upon by the other students who gathered around excitedly slapping them on the backs and offering congratulations.

“Hey Pluto,” said Audren, “you got a little emotional out there when they started knocking your wife around.”

He flushed red with embarrassment and everyone squealed and laughed at his discomfort…

Bedelia took his arm and put her head on his shoulder.

“My husband and I have had a very trying experience this afternoon, she said melodramatically,  With hand to her forehead she hammed it up even more, “I think we’ll go home now, put our baby down and enjoy some quiet time together.

Pluto blushed scarlet…The words coming from Bedelia were so unexpected  that even their friends paused momentarily… then realizing the joke they started clapping and laughing in good natured delight as she led him off to the Gymnasium.

“Try not to blush when they tease you,” she said, “it only encourages them.” 

As they walked together, Pluto did not have much to say.  She took a quick peek into his mind and saw why.  He was struggling with conflicting emotions and afraid to say something that might spoil the moment.

“Are you going to talk to me?” she asked, “or just shuffle along.”

“Sorry, Pluto answered, “you have no idea how happy I am right now… we passed Tier One… we actually did it!”

“In fact, I do know how you feel, because I feel exactly the same way.”

“That was fancy shooting… especially the way you popped the Wraith.  I knew when you did, we had a chance.”

“You were pretty awesome yourself, Pluto.”

“After we get cleaned up,” he continued, “would you mind if I walked you back to the barracks?”

“Since when do you know where I live?”

By your uniform for one thing and for another, an old girl friend of mine lives there.”  She saw the image of Martha Tropolof, flash through his mind.

“Martha was your girlfriend?”

“He stopped and looked in dismay… I didn’t tell you what her name was.”

“Err… sorry…, but I'm telepathic...don't tell me you didn't know.  Its the only thing about me that everyone seems to remember.

“I guess I heard that, now that you mention it. I don’t have the gift.  I’m an Elvenhume.”

“I know, so you better start paying attention to what you daydream about,” she said teasing.

They arrived at the gym.  “Meet me in twenty minutes,” she told him.

Inside she went to her locker…. Her mind reeled from all that had happened and the implications of what was coming.  We actually passed Tier One,  she thought twirling around and bouncing off the wall.  She danced  into the latrine, found a stall and closed the door.  It was a good place to think. Was this a fluke she wondered, or is there hope for a repeat performance?"  Afterwards she took a shower, reliving every minute of the contest. No doubt about it, Pluto has an emotional connection with her that had not gone unnoticed.  As the water cascaded over her shoulders, she began singing. 

"Little bird little bird
Have you heard?
Bede and the big Guy
Made it on the first try
That’s the word
Little bird,
That’s the word."

I don't know
But I think I might
Dance like a sprite
In the pale moon light
Bede and the big guy
Made it on the first try
That’s the word, little bird
That’s the word."

What do I do
If he says He loves me?
What do I do little bird
I'm  way to young to marry
Just the thought is scary
What’s the word little bird
What’s the word?"

Getting dressed, she replayed Pluto's emotions over and over in her mind.  He definitely has a crush, she thought to herself.  It was the first time in her life that anything like that had ever happened.  Outside he was waiting.  His eyes lit up when he saw her coming and they fell into step walking up the avenue.

“What’s it like being able to listen in on someone’s thoughts?” he asked.

She shrugged; “It’s not something I can turn on and off.  It’s like when you look at something with your eyes and simply see it.  You can’t just pretend it isn’t there.  Instead, you just overlook most of what you see.  It’s the same way with telepathy.”

“Doesn’t it embarrass you to know what everyone else is thinking?”

Sometimes, but I’m used to it… plus I don’t always know what everyone else is thinking.  There are many ways to mind cloak.”

“I can’t seem to manage that, but I usually know when the blue blood girls are mind nosing.  I can feel it when they start poking around in my head.  But with you, I don’t feel anything.”

“You could learn some basic cloaking skills if you wanted, but if you intend to hang around me, get used to the fact that there isn’t much you can hide.”

“I’ll keep that in mind.”

“So your girlfriend is Martha?”

“Not exactly… At least not in the sense you‘re implying.  We were "Promised" as children.  When she opted for the Warrior Track and went to Belmont, the contract went out the window.”

“I’m sorry, that must have been painful.”

“Actually, it was a weight off my shoulders; Martha and I were never inclined to anything romantic... if you know what I mean?”

“I would have thought…her being so beautiful, that you'd be devastated.”

“It wasn’t that way.  I swear to you, it simply wasn’t.”

“I believe you Pluto, and I'd be the first to know if you started lying.”

“I mean I like Martha a lot, and there’s always a glow to being around her, but I get the same feeling around you but it’s way more intense.”

“I hear what you're saying.”

“That and…”

“And what?”

“Your eyes, you both have those witchy eyes.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

“It means your eyes are red. That's not a common trait around here, but you and Martha both have them.

“Hmmmm?”

“Don’t tell me you haven’t notice.“

“OK so I’ve noticed.”

“So how am I supposed to act, knowing you might be inside my head?”

“It’s better that you don’t think about it; Just express honest thoughts and whatever you do don’t go bumbling around, trying to cover things up.”

“What about emotions, can you read those too?”

“Emotions trigger thoughts and those are easy enough to see, but to really feel your emotions I have to get under your skin.”

“Actually, I think that’s already starting to happen.”

“Well actually, it isn’t… unless you’re speaking figuratively.”

“Would I know if you tried?”

“I doubt it…Now! I want you to stop this whole conversation.  All you can do is be yourself, Pluto, and if I like what I see then I’ll be happy and if I don’t there’s not much you can do about it.  We can talk just like everybody else and get along just fine.... unless you decide to try something devious, and that would not be a smart thing to do.”

She took his hand.  It was a fall day in Tristan City.  The avenue was ablaze with the changing leaves and a fresh breeze was blowing from the North.  Everything that existed in the Capitol, blended with the surroundings.  A home or office was built into the contours of the earth and made to blend with the natural setting or feature.  The more affluent the owners, the more a property surrendered its identity to the landscape.  There were trails, and streams and ponds and brooks leading everywhere.  Nowhere was their a straight line… it was like taking a walk in a park but it wasn’t really a park. If you wanted to see the Park, it was in the middle of the city it looked like a primeval forest.  It was integrated with the zoo, except there were no cages or fences and the forest creatures walked about unfettered and unafraid.  Along the river, there were ducks and geese and cranes and all manner of water foul.  For the uninitiated it was astonishing but for the Elves it was all taken for granted, an expression of the way things were supposed to be.

When they reached the woods where the Woman's Barracks was nestled away, they hated to see the moments end.  Smiling, Bedelia turned loose of his hand.

“I really enjoyed the walk," Pluto told her, "maybe we can do this again.”

“Isn’t it a bit out of your way?”

“Naw,” he answered, “I often go home this way.”

She looked him in the eye and shook her finger.

“Well sometimes…” she continued wiggling it back and forth, “occasionally,” she kept it in motion, “Never!” he finally admitted and she nodded her head in affirmation.

“This is going to take some getting used to,” he said with a weak smile… Monday then?

Bedelia rose up on her tiptoes, with her hands barely reaching to his shoulders.  He inclined his head and she kissed it.  His mind clouded with euphoria and she giggled in delight.

“Monday,” she promised.

     





© Copyright 2012 percy goodfellow (trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1857419-Chapter-4--Bedelia