*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1857467-Chapter-5-Pluto
Rated: 13+ · Novel · Other · #1857467
In this chapter tier two is developed and Climatus is Introduced
Chapter 5 of GOT  Jon.

Characters: 

Jon Snow he bastard.
Princess Myrcella:  Daughter of 8 years.
Little Rickson:  Youngest of the Kings Children
Robb:  Kings ligitiment son
Ser Jamie Lannister: The Queen’s twin (Kingslayer)
Tyrion Lannister…The imp…ugly dwarf, Jamie’s brother.
Ghost:  White Direwolf belonging to Jon.
Benjen Stark:  The Lords Brother, head of the Watch
Daren Tararyen:  Died at 18 in Rebellion.

Foreshadowing: “…for just a moment Tyrion Lannister stood tall as a king.”

Scene 1:  Describes the folks who enter the Fest Hall.

Scene 2:  Conversation between Benjen Stark and Jon who wants to join the Night’s Watch.

Scene 3:  Conversation with Tyrion who compares a dwarf and a bastard.

Style:  Same synthesis of back-story, dialogue and action moving the story along.

Scene 1:  Arrival at the Castle

Scene 2:  Going down where Brandon and Lyanna are buried.

Scene 3:  The King offering Robert the “Hand” Job.

This chapter follows the thrust of the earlier ones.  There is exposition showing all the fanfare of the arriving guests…Interspersed is a heavy dose of back story.  The history of many of the characters is shown




Chapter 2 Pluto


“A token for your thoughts,” said Pluto’s mother, fluttering about the kitchen.  Normally her behavior embarrassed him but today he offered his cheek and kissed hers in turn.

“Oh my!”  She exclaimed What ever has come over you?“

"I feel good,” he said, sitting down at the breakfast table. “Friday I passed Tier One."

"Wonderful!" She answered. "I knew it was just a matter of time….I remember when I passed….what a thrill it was.  I kissed Vladimir half a dozen times and we danced in the street like school kids. We were actually and he was such a nice boy.  Went on to become a hero.  When he fell at Myrocena I wept for days…his wife Larissa was disconsolate.  Since, she’s had another child…. Took to going up to Camp Finsterwald.  Got caught up in that Nouveau lifestyle, if you can you imagine that."

Climatus could ramble along like this for hours but the truth was that as a young girl, she had been heavily recruited to attend Belmont.  To listen to her, one would hardly expect that beneath the surface, coiled like a huge mainspring, was a reservoir of dark energy.  It had manifested itself early in her martial training.  In a critical situation, something would trigger it, and her performance would shift to a whole new level.  Her instructors had been shaken when they first saw it evidenced, but no more so than Climatus.  It absolutely terrified her and she had politely declined the scholarship.  Shortly thereafter she had married Lord Kulrick, choosing a life as wife and mother.  When she didn’t have children she threw herself into serving the city and became friends with the Witch Olivia. 

Then Olivia sent the "Calling" to her husband, got pregnant and handed the boy over at the Naming Ceremony.  Surprisingly the bond of their friendship never suffered and Climatus thanked the gods for the opportunity to have a child to raise.  As she babbled away, the significance of what her son had so casually announced dawned fully.

“I'm so proud of you.  What was it that put you over the top?"

“We just got lucky, Mother, we just got lucky."

"Well I hope the Ladies Club shares some of your good fortune."

"What's on your agenda for today?"

"We're having an auction over at the Botanical Gardens. It's our biggest fund raiser of the season and with a little luck we hope to surpass last year's goal."

Pluto got up from the table and kissed his mothers cheek.  "I have to run, don't want to be late for practice."

….


Monday morning Bedelia woke with a start.  She had slept restlessly in fits and spurts, caught up in dreams where events of the past and present flashed into her mind like a bizarre and distorted mural.  There were parts from her early childhood, her mother combing her hair… then there was Captain Standaloft leading them on a combat patrol outside Corinth.  Then there was Pluto fighting the Gnomes in slow motion, trying to find her, his heart filled with dread and anxiety.  The sequences ran together and what was at wakening, so clearly etched in her mind, was now starting to fade into the vaguest of recollections.  Getting dressed she went down to the dining facility. 

She was ravenous and started eating everything the mess stewards ladled on her plate.  This was unusual because the portions were man sized and more than she could usually manage.  The coffee was fresh and the aroma smelled delicious.  She went back for a second cup.  Gradually she came fully awake and the events of Friday flooded into her mind.  A shiver of excitement ran through her body.

“May I join you?” came a voice.

It was Martha, her knife fighting coach.  After their first patrol, Captain Standaloft had insisted that Bedelia become skilled in the Eleven Blade.  He had given her the name of Martha Tropolof who was the Assistant Weapons Miester at Belmont Military College for Women.  This was the same Martha  that Pluto had mentioned as his once betrothed.

“Please do,” she said, honored by the opportunity.  Martha was the most beautiful woman Bedelia had ever seen and an awesome fighting machine.

“I was hoping to see you yesterday,” Martha said.  “I had some time after four O’clock… you usually come by for free sparring.”

“I was distracted, by the most wonderful chain of events, and spent the whole weekend walking around in circles.  You won't believe what I’m about to tell you. Friday I passed Tier One!"

Martha was impressed.  “Congratulations," she said, “Took you long enough!”

“But that’s not the best part… You'll never guess who my partner was?”

“Who?” she asked, “taking a spoonful of cereal.

“Pluto LaVinneous.”

Martha choked and expelled the contents all over the table.  Wiping her mouth she looked up smiling broadly.

“You’ve got to be kidding.  Pluto finally passed Tier One?”

“Yep!  And I was his Battle Partner.”

“You just made my day…made my day.”

“And he told me all about you growing up…said you were both….”

“Promised?”

Yes, and how much you mean to him, but in a very special way...“

I know, and its the same way I feel; the best friend I ever had.”

“I think he likes me, Martha… but I won’t interfere if you don’t want me to.”

“There’s nothing you can do that will interfere with anything.  Plus I think  you’re perfect for him.”

“You do?”

“I do… Now, when can I expect to see you back in the practice ring?”

“Soon, I promise…  I’ll be seeing Captain Standaloft, on Thursday morning.  We have a mission coming up.  It might interfere with our schedule… Hey!  I have a great idea,, why don’t you join us for breakfast.  We can have our training session afterwards.”

“Are you trying to set me up?”

“Honest, he's so handsome.  You‘ll like him.  Guiles is a bachelor, a great commander, athletic and smart.”

“Sounds too good to be true…”

“He is, sort of.”

“What’s the catch?”

“Well, it’s hard to explain but sometimes he acts sort of goofy around people.”

“Goofy?”

“He was raised at Finsterwald from the time he was a little boy.  You can imagine how growing up in a Military School with a bunch of boys, well he’s not socially… very well adapted.”

“And that explains the Goofiness?”

“Some, but he’s good husband material. You could really make something out of him.”

“I’m intrigued, but isn’t he going to suspect something when I show up for breakfast?”

“He’ll be delighted.  After all he’s the one who told me to get in touch with you.  Remember the “Blade” referral?  Said he had asked around and your name kept popping up.”

“He really said that?”

“Well, I’m not making it up.  Don't you remember when I signed up for the class?  I told you he asked specifically that I look you up?"

“Seems like you did.  OK, I’ll give it a try, but if I have to leave suddenly, you’ll know he’s not my type.”

….

Bedelia arrived at the Home Defense School feeling better than she could remember in a long time.  She looked around hoping to see Pluto and having no luck, went into the Gym to get changed.

A few minutes later Pluto arrived and walked inside.  He passed several of his friends who smiled and gave him the thumbs up. In the bath house others congratulated him on passing Tier One.  It was only the seventh time he had tried and he had never come close to passing before.  It was the Bat Wraith that usually eliminated him.  Having its teeth bite into the back of his neck and the paralysis that followed was the most helpless of feelings.  Last month he had to watch in agony as the Gnomes carried his partner off to the "Brothel".  He had never been so humiliated in his life.  Trying to pass was a never ending cycle of frustration and discouragement.  He’d forgotten what it was like to walk around without a headache.  Then everything changed when he teamed up with Bedelia.  Today he was feeling good, for the first time in a long time.

He changed into his battle dress, and walked out onto the athletic field.  He relived the success and remembered Bedelia talking to that dumb doll, and how the words had touched him in a way he'd never before experienced. 

“There, little one,” she had whispered as she rocked the training aid in her arms, “Daddy and I will never let anything bad happen to you.” 

At that moment it was like a dam breaking in his heart and he felt his spirit, shaking the bars in his soul, screaming to be set free.  Then their eyes met and in that instant he knew that she knew.  Further, he knew she had feelings for him.  It was a bit confusing and very disconcerting.  It no longer mattered that the Simian Girl was weird, or that she liked talking to dolls.  If that's what she wanted to do, it was fine with him.

Then he remembered walking her home and the kiss she planted on his forehead.

….

Demetrio was standing outside, talking to several of his assistant instructors.  As the drills became more complex these assistants operated one or more of the threat visages and today’s exercise would again involve multiple adversaries.

"“OK guys." briefed Demetrio, “Today, we are starting a Tier Two sequence for the first of the qualifiers. Keep in mind the first to make it are the most  talented and just a wee bit cocky.  I don’t want any of these jokers to survive  the first try.  I want you to get in there and knock um flat on their asses.  When we get through I don’t want anything but groaning and headaches."

As Pluto walked by he motioned him aside.  “Lad, We need to talk."  He took him by the arm and led him around the corner for some private one on one advice. “On Friday I saw a flash of you're potential.  You're one strong fellow, if a bit slow.  What you did on was take your strength directly to your opponent.  No finesse, but it worked.  Today I want you to keep doing the same thing.”

Pluto answered, “It worked because Bedelia, tagged that damned Bat Wraith…how many times has that been my downfall?"

"Your downfall is being awkward," answered Demetrio.  "Stay within yourself and don't try anything cute...use your strength to its maximum advantage.  Bedelia got lucky with her bow last time, but she can still cover you if you let her.  I’m going to leave you two together today and see how things work out."

"Thank-you sir," said Pluto with delight.  He picked up his gear and walked towards the training field.  "Yes!" He said clinching his fist,

Standing in the background, Squire Rogoletti watched the whole exchange.  Once Pluto was out of sight he waved, catching Demetrio's attention.  The two were old Army buddies and they joined each other and embraced warmly.

"I hear Pluto passed Tier One," said the Squire.  "Olivia will want to know what happened."

"He's got a new partner, Rogo, and is she ever a pistol."

"What's her name?"

"Bedelia, One of those Simian Elves. Where they ever hot together."

"They got a chance for Tier Two?”

"I doubt it, but stick around and see for yourself."

"I might just do that." answered the Squire.


….

Pluto found Bedelia standing near the bleachers with her doll.  He walked up and as he approached he heard her talking.

“Here comes Daddy, Sweet Heart.  Today is going to be very frightening but you don’t have to worry.  Mommy and the Big Guy are going to make sure everything stays under control.”

“Are you ready?”

“Yes, Pluto.  Just tell me what I need to do."

“That’s not the way it works.  We’re a team, Bedelia.  For heavens sake, we do things together.  I have certain strengths and you have yours.  You use your gifts to protect me and I do the same for you.  If you have some ideas I want to hear them.  Is that so hard to understand?”

“I understand that perfectly, My Lord.  Molly and I are very confident in you.”

“My Lord?”

Her deferential words meant well, but embarrassed him.  “Will you quit the platitudes, and stop talking to that doll like it's alive?”  His tone was one of exasperation and resonated badly.  Instead of stopping, he dug himself deeper. “Its a training aid and I don’t even think it will be part of today’s scenario.  Leave it here and lets get down to some serious rehearsing."

Bedelia looked at him like she'd been slapped in the face. "What if I don’t want to put her down…." she said with a flash of anger.  "What if we come back and my baby has been carried off…. Did you ever think of that?"

“Bedelia, there’s a whole box of Rag Dolls with the prep gear… I don’t think we’re using them today."

“You want me to leave our baby alone, laying here on the ground? I don’t understand you at all!  Demetrio says  Molly’s our child.  You expect me to just walk away.  The whole purpose of this damn course is learning to defend our loved ones!"

Pluto was at a complete loss, and had no idea what to do next.  He stared at her in complete and total disbelief. This was an aspect of her personality he had never seen and it totally bewildered him.  One minute she seemed so together and the next so vulnerable.“

“What’s wrong with you?” he said a little louder than he meant.  As he did, she began to cry and tears streamed down her cheeks.  Then she began to sob.  He reached out.  She jerked back in defiance.

“I’m sorry, really sorry, I didn’t mean to upset you.“

"Well you have, and I was so happy to see you."  She bowed her head and started walking away.

"Don’t go," he said grabbing her shoulder.  She tugged out of his grasp.

Then he was struck by inspiration.  It came to him so fast he didn't have time to think about it.  It was a spontaneous flash of brilliance.

“I've been thinking so hard about what we need to do today that I totally forgot about Molly," he said. "How could I have been so stupid?" he ranted on, slapping himself on the head.  "Imagine leaving our daughter, here alone, where she could be carried off by the dark ones."  He reached out taking the doll from her arms.  He patted the cloth back like he had often seen mothers do. 

"Don’t you worry yourself for a minute sweetheart," He cooed, "Nothing bad is ever going to happen to you.  Mommy and I aren't letting you out of our sight.."  With a serious look, he said sternly to Bedelia.

“How could you let me, ever consider leaving Molly alone?"  He chided.  His mind swelled with a self righteous intensity so powerful, he actually believed what he was saying.  She looked hard at him, confused by his cloudy mental state and stepped back.

“I won’t Pluto…" She said, detecting nothing amiss.  Then her eyes brightened.  A smile came  and she began wiping her cheeks with the back of her hand.

“Put her in your ruck-sack.  When we step into the street,  make sure the cover is cinched down tight, and not loose like the last time."

She took off her back-pack and undid the straps.  Placing the doll inside she tightened them to the last hole. "How is this Pluto?"

"Better," he answered.

"Now," she said brightening, "Give me my instructions."

"How did you know I had instructions?"

"Because you would never put us in danger without a plan."

"Fancy you mention it…. Because I do have a plan. Now pay attention."

Her eyes sparkled and her face beamed in adoration.

"In the first sequence we get to see the Gnomes and the Bat Wraith again.  Think of it as a warm up drill."

"Yes, Pluto."

"Just like yesterday, try and nail one of the Gnomes as they round the corner.  Then get ready for the Wraith.  I hate the Wraith…. But you know that.  He kills me every time; bites me on the neck, except when I have you around."

"I promise to kill the Wraith…. I won’t let it bite you."  She had learned on Friday that she could telepathically anticipate what the visages were about to do.  Squire Demetrio had given her the idea.  She knew how the Gnomes were going to juke and the flight path of the Bat Wraiths.  She didn't have to read their body motions, when she could read the minds of the operators.  It was almost like cheating. 

"Good! once you do that step in close and occupy one of the Gnomes while I kill the other…Then I’ll finish off the last one."

"It’s a good plan… but what if they don’t behave like they did Friday?"

"What do you mean?"

"Last week they focused on you.  What if this week they focus on me?"

"Hmmmm, then you step in behind me close, with your back against mine." 

He motioned her to get behind.  "When I wiggle my shoulders that'll be the signal."

She stepped in, put her scapula's against him.  I like this part.

"Pay attention and watch where I step.  Now we are going to try moving together."

He wiggled and she pressed back  He stepped forward and she stepped back.  He stepped back and she stepped forward.  Nothing hard about this.

"You're catching on,  now we're going to turn.  This will be harder but try and stay with me."

She bit her lip... Glad he can't see me smiling.

"I'm going to turn now...are you ready?"

""Ready when you are." 

He began turning to the right and she stuck like glue.  Then he turned to the left and she did the same.  Being telepathic she knew exactly how he intended to move at the same instant he did. Didn't he realize that?

"You're getting the idea," he said with encouragement. "Now we're going to turn completely around...ready?"

"Yes." Duh!

He  began turning and she followed effortless as a shadow.

"I think you're starting to get the hang of it," he said. “This is what we will do in the Battle Alley if they try and separate us.  I'll deal with the threats and you cover my back."   

"What next?"

"In the next sequence we'll face two Gnomes and a Troll.  That will be a little nerve wracking but I'm pretty confident I can take the Troll down.  We’ll try that back to back idea again.  You must keep them off my behind until I have the troll directly in front of me.  Then I’ll wiggle my shoulders and that will be the signal." 

"The signal?"

"The signal for you to stick to my backside while I attack directly into him."

"Dear me! He'll crush you."  He can't be serious.

"No he won’t.  His power is in a broad swing and if I get inside his guard, he'll have to drop his elbows and I'll drive into his chest.  I think I can lift him off his feet and throw him onto his back."

"You’re going to lift a troll off his feet?"  Is he out of his mind?

"Don’t think I can do it?  Huh?"

Dear me, she thought to herself,  A Troll weights three hundred pounds.

"You'll see."

"Of course, of course...Now that I realize what your planning, I'm certain you can...." You've got to be kidding me.

"Then we’ll turn like before and dispatch the Gnomes."

"What about the last Iteration?"

"In the last sequence there will be the Gnomes, the Troll and our old friend the Wraith."

"Go On."

"Now this is going to be the tough part.  This is where there's almost no room for error.  If you don’t get the Wraith in the first two shots, we will be in a bad way.  The Wraith will paralyze me, and you'll get hauled off to where they take the young captive girls.  Then it's time for the whistle, the shower and the serious headache."

For a guy who thinks talking to a doll is stupid, he's taking this Brothel nonsense way to seriously.  "I won't let you down...,  I swear I won’t, Pluto."

"Don't forget we have Molly to think about.”

….

It was not a happy day for the Tier Two qualifiers.  Each team went down to the onslaught of the Troll, Gnomes and Bat Wraith.  At last there was but one team left. 

"This shouldn’t take long," Demetrio chucked to himself, as he sent Pluto and Bedelia onto the field.

The three Gnomes rounded the corner.  Bedelia stepped from behind Pluto, notched an arrow and fired.  The Gnome on the left fell.  Two more times, in quick succession she fired,  dropping the other two before they closed half the distance.  Then she turned and fired a forth arrow as the bat wraith came swooping down from behind.  The wraith collapsed, as the shaft zipped through its body, spiraling into the ground.  Pluto stood with his sword at ready awaiting an action that never came.

“I’ll be damned," he muttered.  The spectators watched in stunned disbelief.

Then around the corner came the troll and two Gnomes. Again Bedelia fired twice.  The first shot ripped through the forehead of one and the second through the throat of the other.  The troll continued down the street.  Bedelia stepped to the side, notched another arrow and prepared to fire once more.

“Hold, and stand clear.” said Pluto.  “This one’s mine,” and stepped off walking towards his adversary.  The Troll paused, unsure of his opponent’s intentions. A student behaving offensively was definitely outside the box.  At ten paces Pluto broke into a double time and before the Troll could react he was inside its guard.  With one forearm he blocked its shield and with the pummel of his other, countered the wrist that held a huge mace.  Bringing his hands together he pushed up and under the Troll's chest straining with all his might.  With a grunt he lifted the giant into the air.  Then, gaining momentum, hurled him backward and finished him off.  He pulled his blade out, wiped it on his pants leg and walked back to where Bedelia stood waiting.

He smiled when he saw her jaw hanging open in disbelief.

Around the corner came the last Troll flanked by two more gnomes.  This time they were running at full stride towards them.  Again Bedelia fired and a Gnome fell.  Then, she notched another arrow, sliding behind Pluto, pressing her back against his.  From there she saw the wraith boring in for the kill.  She fired her second arrow, and before it even reached its mark, drew her sword.  The wraith fell to the street writhing spastically.  The Gnome stopped ten feet away and began to circle.  The troll bore down with a single minded purpose.  Pluto wiggled his shoulder and began moving forward as Bedelia backed behind him.  She squinted, her eyes bracing for the collision.  The impact came sudden as the two powerful bodies slammed together.  The motion of both countered one another and she could feel the two straining.  Then with a surge Pluto lifted the troll as before and hurled him onto his back.  This time he drove his sword deep into the beast’s chest. 

The remaining gnome stood apart not knowing quite what to do.  Bedelia looked a Pluto and he at her.  Pluto nodded and Bedelia shot the Gnome through the head. 

Demetrio exhaled, his brow wide eyed in amazement.  The other students began applauding and ran out onto the alley, showering them with praise.  Demetrio followed putting an arm around each.

“Congratulations on passing Tier Two,” he told them.

“See?" Bedelia  said lovingly to Molly, “I told you there was nothing to worry about."

As they walked together back to the gym, Pluto put his arm around her shoulder.

“I’m so proud of you,“ he said, “I simply don’t know what to say.“

….

  The Auction was a great success.  Climatus had every reason to be proud.  They had made twice what they raised the year before.  Olivia, The Patron Witch of the city, came over and congratulated her once the final numbers were tabulated and posted. They were close friends.

"You really out did yourself on this one," said Olivia.

"I had some great help," Climatus answered.

Taking her by the arm Olivia whispered.  "I just received the most wonderful news about our son."

"Yes, I was going to tell you, Friday he passed Tier One.  I despaired of his ever making that first hurdle."

"Well despair no more, and this isn't Friday.  Rogo tells me he just passed Tier Two, but a few minutes ago."

"What!  Oh my goodness... that is so uplifting and unexpected."

"Yes, and he has a new battle partner, a Simian Elf."

“A Simian Elf?”

“Haven't you heard of her?”

“I don’t think so…but then my husband never tells me anything.”

“A most remarkable young woman. She spends much of her time in the Woman‘s Barracks. Now that I think of it perhaps you might want to look her up and express our appreciation.  I intend to speak with her first chance I get."

“What a great idea!  I'll begin making arrangements as soon as I get home.”






© Copyright 2012 percy goodfellow (trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1857467-Chapter-5-Pluto