*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1857576-Chapter-7-Climatus
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Novel · Action/Adventure · #1857576
Climatus and Bedelia meet
Chapter 7 Arya

WC 4000

Characters:

Arya
Septa Mordane
Sansa
Jeyne Poole.  Sansa’s friend
Nymeria.  Ara’s wolf
Jon
Prince Jofffery
Bran
Robb

Scene 1:  Needle point
Scene 2:  The argument between Robb and Prince Joffery

Chapter 7  Climatus 

  Bedelia was up early.  I’m meeting the Captain and Martha promised to join us for breakfast, she thought.  It sparked her metabolism and with a yawn, she stumbled out of bed and into the bathroom.  She went quickly through her morning routine, of tooth brushing, hair combing and a rinse in the shower.  Her uniform was laid out from the night before and she made the bed, and got dressed.  All the while she game played the activities that were coming up.  Breakfast, meeting with Guiles, Rehearsal with Pluto, and another visit with Olivia.  It promised to be a busy day.  Taking a last look in the mirror, she got dressed and went downstairs to the chow hall. To her surprise, Martha was already there,  drinking coffee.  Bedelia walked over and smiled.

“My, we’re up early this morning, aren’t we?”

“Yes we are…” Martha answered, “I had a restless night.  Lets eat, I‘m hungry.”

Together they went through the serving line.  One thing she could say about military food was that it was hot and plentiful.  They returned to their table and began eating. 

“I’m glad you came,” said Bedelia.

I can‘t seem to get your Captain out of my mind.  I asked several of my Girlfriends who frequent Finsterwald if they knew him.  Sarah was the only one. 

“What did she have to say?”

“She giggled and called him an “enigma.””

“What did she mean by that?”

“Not sure… when I asked her to elaborate, all I got was, “You’ll find out.””

“Speaking of the Captain,” said Bedelia, looking towards the door.  “He just walked in.”

Guiles Standaloft was six feet tall.  At twenty-four, he had the poster profile of a soldier.  He was handsome, powerfully built and self assured.  When he walked his body didn’t move, it floated,  with an elegance of fluid grace.  His hair was cropped short, chin clean shaven and uniform was tailored and immaculately .  Seeing Bedelia, he walked over smiled and dropped his satchel..

“I thought I’d be the early bird but I see you beat me to the worm.  I Hope I’m not intruding…I wasn’t expecting a crowd.”

The two girls watched him with interest.

It was the way he said the words, his tone more than anything else, that left the unmistakable impression that he wanted to be alone with Bedelia.  Finding her sitting with an attractive woman did not fit neatly into his  expectations.  He liked for things to happen exactly as he anticipated and when they didn’t,  that meant social gymnastics, definitely not something he was good at.  It had never occurred to him that Bedelia might have a circle of acquaintances outside the SOF Community, he always considered her a loner,  sort of his exclusive property.  Still there was no denying that her girlfriend was drop dead gorgeous and had the well toned body of someone, no stranger to the gym. 

“Let me get served and I’ll join you.” he said and walked over to the chow line.

“I think that was a hint for me to get lost,” said Martha.

“Don’t be getting anxious now.  I warned you, he makes a terrible first impression.  Give him a chance to warm up.”

“He has an arrogant manner, sprinkled with a dash of conceit.”

“I told you he was handsome,” replied Bedelia, avoiding her comment.    “The soldiers love him and see in his brusque manner and irreverence, things they admire.” 

“Must be a man thing.”

“Hush now, here he comes.  Just be patient and give him a chance.”
   
Guiles sat down and began eating.

“Captain Standaloft, this is Martha Tropolov, a friend of mine.”

Martha started to extend her hand but withdrew, seeing the Captain was already busy with his food.  Suddenly he looked up.

“Was Vladimir Tropolov your father?”

“Yes!" she said with a false sense of enthusiasm.”

At least he’s noticed her thought Bedelia. Martha’s father. she recalled, was the famous Vladimir Tropolov an Icon of the SOF Forces.  As a recruit she had had been taken to the Headquarters Building at Finsterwald, to listen while the Sergeant recounted his exploits.  He had fallen at Myrocena and there was a statue of him that glared down from on high, showing his grim and forbidding features.

“Then you must be his daughter.” 

“That would follow, wouldn't it?“  Her sarcasm went right over his head.  Instead, he extended his hand. 

“It’s a pleasure to meet you.  Your father was a great soldier.  I know you must be proud.”

She looked at Bedelia, wondering what to make of him.  Then she reached out and shook hands.  As their fingers grasped she felt a tingle up her forearm, and a shudder pass through her body.  Looking up she saw two intensely beautiful blue eyes.

“I’m very proud, Captain” she replied. 

“Please call me Guiles.  There’s no need for us to be formal.  Bedelia on the other hand is one of my soldiers and it’s appropriate, when others are present, to call me by my rank or “Sir.”  When we’re alone however, we put all that aside.”

“I see.”

“You have quite a reputation as a weapons expert,” he continued. “I’m sure Bedelia mentioned that I recommended you.”

“Yes, I recall her saying something, and wondered at the time how you knew about me.”

“It was Gilford Grimes.  He told me the Assistant Weapons Meister at Belmont was a real talent; that for a woman you were quite handy with the Elfin Blade.

“For a woman…?  That doesn’t sound like Gilford… but I’ll take the praise…”

“And high it is… He’s an extraordinary swordsman and does not bestow accolades lightly.”

“I’ll keep that in mind.  She said dismissively.  “When you get back, will you please remind him that he promised to come to Belmont… and give a demonstration on the Two Handed Sword.”

I’ll do better than remind him.  I’ll tell  him, even though I fail to see the point of teaching women to use such a heavy weapon.”

“I’m not seeking instruction, I want to see it demonstrated…You do know the difference between seeing and doing?”

“Of course,” he said rolling his eyes, “now I get the drift… you want your girls to have an appreciation for its use… in order to counter it on the Battlefield.  How could I miss that… There are definitely countermeasures a woman can take.”

“You keep making quite a distinction between the sexes.”

“Well, men are stronger, you know…quicker too.”

“The margins aren’t as great as you think,” she said an edge.  “Perhaps we can spar some time.”

“I would enjoy that,” he answered, failing to note the hostility in her voice. 

“I really have to go now…“ said Martha.  “I have classes and I’m already behind schedule.”

Guiles arose with her and reached out taking her hand.

“I wish you could stay,”  he said, “it’s such a pleasure talking to you.”

Again came the energy.  Again, their eyes met, and across the bridge of their gaze came a connection unlike anything she'd ever experienced.  At the same time, the edge of his words lost their abrasiveness and the sound of his voice took on an almost compelling quality.

“Would you mind if I accompany Gilford when he comes down.  I would very much like to continue this discussion.”

“Of course,” she replied, you’d  be most welcome. Why did you go and invite him? she chided herself.

Bedelia watched in amazement as they paused, holding each other’s hand and noted the look in their eyes.  The duration was uncomfortably long and ended abruptly as Martha pulled loose, shaking her head in disbelief.

“I really must be going,” she said again.  Picking up her tote, she threw it nervously over her shoulder, gave a forced smile and departed.

Guiles watched her walk away, following every step and movement.

“Wow!” he exclaimed when she was gone, “I finally had a discussion with a woman and didn’t embarrass myself.”

“You were captivating,” said Bedelia.

“You think so?”

“Right at the top of your game.”

“Does she like me?”

“How could she resist?”


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


After breakfast the mood became more serious.

"Let’s take a walk," he said, picking up his bag.  "There’s matters to discuss that need some wide open spaces.  Know a good spot?" 

“The Home Defense University (HDU) has a huge athletic field.”

“That will do nicely,” he replied leading her outside.  Out on the Avenue they walked leisurely listening to the birds and commenting on the weather.  At length she asked.

“Why the need for an open place?”

"What we need to discuss carries the highest of security classifications;  Ultra Compartmented."

"What does that mean?"

"That only those who absolutely need to know, get brought in."

"Why me?"

"You’ll be doing the outreach.  No way they could avoid telling you. " 

"You definitely have my curiosity aroused… What’s in that satchel you’re hauling around.”

"Some specially cladded helmets."

"You've got to be kidding.  We’re going out into the middle of a field, put on some shielded helmets, and then you’re going to tell me this big dark secret?"

"That’s what the protocol requires."

"This is really serious isn’t it?"

"For the ministry to include us, it is serious indeed."

They walked on for some time, quietly, as she digested things.

"We have a dangerous mission coming up, don’t we?"

"They’re all dangerous, however, as you’ve  anticipated, this one is particularly so.  In the last year we’ve been losing patrols at an alarming rate.  The Empire has something big in the cue, and is pulling out all the stops to curtail our intelligence gathering."

"We lost another patrol?"

"The better part of one…  Our sister unit… doing what we usually do… they were compromised and barely made it across the border, but they kept their unit integrity and brought their dead and wounded out with them."

"Oh my goodness, that hits close to home."

"I’ll be talking to Captain Jennings this weekend to find out what went wrong."

"When will we be leaving?"

"The first of next week…But don’t worry, you and Pluto will have your chance at the Hat Trick."

"How do you know about that?"

"It’s the talk of the town.  The bleachers are sold out.  Not a ticket or a lodging to be had anywhere."

"You should have told Martha.  The HDU and Belmont are part of the University.  She has tickets to everything."

"Perhaps you could ask her for me… I don’t know her that well yet."

"I’ll do that.  Where can she reach you?"

"I’ll be here ‘til Saturday.  I have an office at Room 302 of the Defense Ministry…after hours I’ll be at the gym.  There’s a crash  pad in the basement."

Shortly afterwards they arrived at the HDU and walked out onto the field.  Taking a seat in the center they sat facing each other.

"What if someone comes out and asks, "Duh!"  what are you two doing?"

"We won’t be bothered.  We have friends who'll see we’re not disturbed."

He reached in his bag and pulled out the two helmets.

“This one they had to make especially for you… They don’t come in size “Dinky.” He chortled, amused by his own humor.  The helmets covered their heads completely, except for a visual port with a visor and an opening across  the mouth.

"Clad up and pull down the visor so we can get started."

With the helmet on, she could not see his eyes but her telepathy gave a clear vista into his mind.  The Captain was not telepathic and began to speak.

“At the Ministry, the most closely guarded defense secret, is code named Marigold.  It is the cover for an Elf  Wizard named Horace, taken over five hundred years ago and imprisoned ever since.  He is kept on a compound where the Golden Apes are used to breed Simian Elves."

"Oh my goodness… How much do you know about what goes on there?"

"What’s to know?  It’s a breeding farm, like a zoo of sorts.  In all likelihood it’s the place you were conceived."

"I always wondered where my home town was," she said, trying to diffuse with some humor, the pounding in her chest.

"How big is it?" 

"There’s over a thousand Apes…they were trapped in the mountains several hundred years ago and brought to the farm.  Mostly the place is used for the breeding the Goldens, but selected females are bred with an Elf to produce a Simian."

"How many Elves are in captivity?"

"Only one that we know about, Marigold."

"What’s the mission?"

"He wants to share some thoughts and make a request."

"How long will it take?"

"We should be in and out in a week."

"That shouldn’t be too bad."

"We’ll stand off as far as possible, you’ll make contact, find out what he wants and we’ll get the heck out of there."

"Where will I meet you?"

"Your security detail will bring you to Finsterwald on Sunday."

"My security detail?"

"Get used to it.  You’re going to have one from now on."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------   



After their second walk-thru Bedelia and Pluto were satisfied with the preparations.

“Who are those two?” asked Pluto, nodding towards the two SOF soldiers with crossbows.

“They’re my new security detail.  Captain Standaloft assigned them this morning.”

“What did you do to deserve that?”

“He thinks I know too much to be wandering around by myself.”

“You think you’re in danger?”

“I respect his judgment.  If he says I need a detail, that’s the end of it, not that arguing does any good.”

“Are you stopping by Olivia’s on the way back?”

“That’s the plan.”

“Mind if I meet you there?”  Demetrio wants to see me before the big event.  It shouldn’t take long and I’ll drop by and walk you back to the Barracks.”

“ I’d like that.”


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



    It was a new experience walking up the avenue followed closely by two armed soldiers.  She motioned them up alongside and they walked together, next to her.

“Hi, I’m Bedelia,” she said introducing herself.

“I’m Joey and this is Fred…you’ll get used to us and we’ll just blend into the background.”

“Right!  Two commandos, dressed in black, carrying crossbows.”

“We’ll try and stay out of the way, but we have to stay close to do our work… Orders, you know.  Hope we can manage things without getting in each other's hair.”

“Will you be the same two every day?”

“There’ll be four rotations.  Eight hours on and a skip.”

“Sorry guys this wasn’t my idea…”

“Don’t apologize, this isn’t bad a duty… you know what patrol’s are like?”

"Yeah, I’ve been there a time or two,” she answered.

“Where are we headed?” asked Fred.

“To the house  of the Patron Witch of the City.”

“You won’t let her change us into a pumpkin, will you?”

“That will depend entirely on your behavior… Actually she’s a very nice lady.”

“Just to let you know, I need to stay within earshot when we get there,”  said Joey… “You need to explain that to whoever it is we visit.  It makes it easier.”

“Where will you be?” Fred.

“Outside.”

When they arrived, Bedelia rapped on the threshold.  Squire Rogoletti opened the door and surveyed the two soldiers.

“Security team?” He inquired, in that unmistakable military voice.

“Yes sir,” Joey replied

“Which one is the inside man?”

“I am,” said Joey.

“Then step inside with Bedelia.  You can wait in the kitchen.”

To Fred he warned, “You’re free to walk the grounds but don’t step off the stone pathway…Are you listening soldier?”

“Yes sir,” came the answer.

“This is not an idle warning, so I’m repeating myself.  Do you understand perfectly what I’m saying.”

“I got it," answered Fred.

Inside Olivia met them in the kitchen.  She looked at Rogo, and then at the soldier.  Smiling at Bedelia she said,

“My, you’re starting to move in high circles.  Even I don’t rate such security.  Come into the drawing room.  I have some tea and pastries.  Tell me everything that's happening."

“Pluto and I had a good rehearsal this morning and we’re feeling good about  Tier Three.  He stayed to talk with Miester Demetrio but will be joining us shortly.”

“Wonderful, I do love seeing him.  Is he still, you know…."

"In love with me?"

"Yes, That."

"It’s gotten worse, Lady Olivia. He doesn’t show it with words, and it’s not written on his face or anything like that,  but his heart is pining…..I swear he’s eat up by the love bug."

"I think that’s wonderful news."

"You do?"

"Yes, I do, and you should too.  You like him, don’t you?"

"Very much."

"Then just accept it for what it is and enjoy the happiness while you can."

"But I’m afraid.."

"I know, about his parents and what everyone will think."

"I'm not worried for myself, but for him.  This is going to be very difficult."

"Life's difficult..., but if you bring a ray of sunshine...well , that's a much needed improvement."

"You think so?"

"I know so.  And I can tell you now that Climates will love you to death."

"Really?"

"Yes she will….now lets talk about Pluto."

"Yes ma’am."

"Why do you suppose he's such a plodder?"

"Because he’s big."

"No!  It's more than that… somehow he’s gotten all balled up inside.  He's a veritable tangle of nerves.  We're going to have to get him unballed."

"How can I help?"

"We’ll get to that in a minute.  First I have some questions."

"Ask away."

"You said you can read minds and feel emotions."

"I can."

"You implied that you can do more." she said, lowering her voice. “Can you levitate objects?"

"Yes."

"Show me."

Bedelia raised her cup from the saucer, canted it at her lips and took a sip.  Her hands remained on her lap.

"My gads!" exclaimed Olivia?  This is so exciting.  Now please explain exactly how a psychic probe works. “

"I leave a kernel of my spirit at the edge of another’s mind and together we share each other’s awareness."

“Have you tried it with Pluto?”

“Yes, its become part of our battle drill.  We practice it dancing with our eyes closed and not touching.”

“Amazing, absolutely amazing.”

"He’s a good dancer."

“I’m sure he is, and don’t change a thing.  Continue exactly what you’re doing.  However, I have a suggestion that might help.  Here, take a look  in this box. 

Bedelia took the straw box she handed her, admiring the exquisite craftsmanship.  It was a beautiful sewing basket made of the finest reeds.  She opened it and inside, about the size of a grapefruit, was a snarled ball of golden threads.

“I want you to go to work unsnarling them," Olivia told her, "and as you do I want you to braid the strands as they unravel, into a necklace for Pluto.  Do you know how to braid?"

"Yes ma’am."

“Now don‘t wait until you have the whole project completed to give Pluto a strand… he needs to start wearing them as soon as you have one completed.”

“What will it do?”

“I’m hoping it will help unleash some of the frustration pent up inside him.”

“That would be wonderful, simply wonderful.”

Outside, came a knocking at the door and Pluto’s voice talking to Squire Rogoletti.

“Pluto promised to walk me back to the barracks…This afternoon I’ll get to work on the braiding.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  That evening Bedelia sat by her window.  She was working on the ball of golden threads when she heard the sound of a carriage stop outside.  She looked out and saw an elegantly dressed woman step down and walk into the lobby.  She noted the coat of arms on the coach, and her heart jumped.  It was the same as Pluto’s signet ring.  Her heart leaped.  She went to the door and opened it.  Seated outside was her security soldier.

“Expecting company?” he asked her.

Up the stairs came Mirabel the house mother, with a lantern. Behind her came a Knight with two men at arms and finally, one of the most beautiful women Bedelia had ever seen.

“The room is here on the right," said Mirabel the House Mother. "Three-oh-Seven, right up here on the third floor.  You can’t miss it.  She has her very own body guard sitting outside. That's this one here.  The other is perched out back on the fire escape.  Ministry of Defense orders, can you imagine that?”

Bedelia had never had a real "Visitor" before. She stepped into the hallway  as the entourage topped the stairs and came down the hall.

“Do you know these people?” asked her guard nervously.

A Squire, the Lady's escort, was quite close, and looked at him in surprise, 

“I beg your pardon Corporal, this is Her Ladyship,  Climatus La Vinneous, wife of the First Chair of the Kingdom."

“Do you know these people?” The guard repeated nervously.

“It’s OK, I know them...  Lady LaVinneous, I’m Bedelia, Pluto’s Battle Buddy.”

Climatus hustled through the cluster of men and embraced her. "I’m so thrilled to finally meet you, Bedelia."

She turned to the Knight.  “Squire, have one of your men rustle us up some tea and everyone please relax and make yourselves comfortable.  Mirabel, thanks for your kind assistance.  Turning to Bedelia she continued.  Where should we start, my dear.  We simply must get acquainted and there is so much to talk about. To everyone standing about, she made a settle down gesture with her hand. “I could be staying awhile. “

Bedelia opened the door and Pluto’s mother swept inside.

“What’s this world coming to?  Can’t even travel abroad without an armed guard.  Pluto said you were special but I never realized the full extent of it.”

“I’m trying to get used to it, myself,”  Bedelia agreed.

Climatus  walked over to the desk and saw the box of golden threads. “Is this how you amuse yourself? What a stimulating way to spend your time. Please show me how you untangle them…I don’t believe I’ve ever seen anything quite like it. Do you sew? I love to make quilts. As a matter of fact the ladies and I just finished one. A huge red Dragon, spitting fire on a pale yellow pastel background of pure brocade silk…I must show it to you….Do you ever get to the exhibit hall? They have a display of antique armor that goes back two thousand years and next door is the botanical hall….They have every mushroom know to man…and woman too… do you like mushrooms“
At length Clematis took a breath and realizing that she was carrying on, paused.

“May I join you and learn what these threads are all about.”

“Yes my lady,” said Bedelia, getting over her shock and overwhelming presence of Lady Kulrick. She held her chair as Pluto’s mother settled herself comfortably. Then she took another from the corner and seated herself nearby. Clematis peered intently at the ball of threads.

“This box was given to me by Lady Olivia. She told me to unsnarl the threads and braid a necklace for Pluto. I’ve just started and only managed to untangle a couple but I hope to have a twist ready, Saturday."

Next to the box of threads was a doll. Climatus picked it up.  "And who might this be ?" she inquired.

"That's my baby. Her name is Molly. Meister Demetrio gave her to me....saying I must protect her with my life. Pluto’s been helping me keep my promise."

Clematis looked about the sparsely furnished room, at the wide eyed girl, the doll, and the table with the golden threads. Tears began to roll down her cheeks and she struggled to control emotions that came unexpectedly to heart.

“Are you OK?” inquired Bedelia.

“I’m better than OK,” Clematis replied. "I’m overjoyed.  Now tell me child, what did Olivia say when she gave you the threads, if you don’t mind my asking?”

“There was no confidence implied,” Bedelia answered. “She said that Pluto is like this ball of thread and I should help unsnarl him.  She told me to braid  him a necklace.”

Climates reached into the box and pulled lightly on an end. “They appear hopelessly entangled,” she observed wistfully.

“Almost, but not quite; with patience they reveal their secrets and when one comes free, it’s the most wonderful feeling in the world.”

At that point the door opened and a Man at Arms brought in the tea. They sipped a cup making small talk and getting to know each other. Finally, Lady Kulrick said,

“Now let's apply ourselves to this task and perhaps by joining our efforts we can separate a few more.”

And so it was that they worked silently for the next two hours and succeeded in separating half a dozen. At Length Clematis stretched and said

“This is most fatiguing, but we seem to be making progress.”

“More in the last two hours than I accomplished all evening.”

“We must do this again soon…I was wondering, Bedelia, if you would come for dinner Saturday night. My  husband wants to meet you and Pluto will be thrilled.”

“I’d be honored, Lady Kulrick.”

“At seven O’clock then my dear. She arose and kissed Bedelia warmly on the cheek.  “I'll have Pluto come by with the livery and get you.”

“Thank you.”

With that Clematis swept out of the room, down the stairs and into her waiting carriage.
© Copyright 2012 percy goodfellow (trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1857576-Chapter-7-Climatus