*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1858773-Reaching-for-the-Stars
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #1858773
A story about conquering your fears.
[[Contest Entry for the Daily Flash Fiction Challenge. Prompt: Include the words leap, stars, and foam.]]

Raeyna danced in the ocean’s currents, allowing the swift flow of water to carry her across the expanse of sea before her. She loved to glance up at the Surface every now and again to see the diamonds glisten in the night sky.



She had heard stories of these diamonds -- treasures sought and cherished by land-people, nearly priceless in their worth -- yet, she wondered what made these diamonds so valuable in their eyes. The Surface was scattered with them as it were. If only she could touch one, hold one in the palm of her hand -- maybe she would understand why these land-women longed to wear one on their fingers or around their wrists and necks.

She had felt the sensation before though. Dryness. That horrible chill that bit at her when she left her watery home. It was a claustrophobic nightmare to feel the air surround her, that moistureless current stealing the humidity from her hair and skin. 



But now she was ready to take that leap of faith. 



Aimed towards the Surface, Raeyna kicked with all her might, launching herself towards the haunted winds and away from the comfort of her aqueous home. Closer she came, propelling and kicking, exerting every ounce of energy she had so she might grasp one of those precious diamonds in her hand. 



Her hands broke through the surface. Suddenly, time seemed to slow. Foam from the frothy waves dripped from her fingertips and down her arms as she entered into this strange new land. She gasped as her face left the comfort of the waves - her gills straining to take in oxygen, her skin tingling with cold as the water began to evaporate from her skin. She closed her eyes, ignoring the fear that ate at her heart, and reached towards the stars.
© Copyright 2012 Yera ~Twelve!~ (winterscoming at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1858773-Reaching-for-the-Stars