*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1858797-What-once-was
Rated: E · Short Story · Emotional · #1858797
A treasured moment between a gay couple in Scotland.
What once was

In the midst of December of 2009, the thick downpour of snow still continued over the small but otherwise welcoming town high in the mountains of Scotland. The treacherous weather had continued for weeks and showed no sign of slowing. It made it impossible for the town folk to even dare to venture out into the torrential blizzards.

On the outskirts of this beloved town, Jake and William woke one very early morning, warm in bed and safe from blistery weathered conditions outside, to the early morning chorus of the neighbour’s cock crowing. It was an unfortunate recurrence that they both had to for-go a on a daily basis and hoping maybe one day somebody soon would have the decency to put the creature out of its misery.

After a few moments later, the young couple stumblingly made their way down to the fitted kitchen situated to the west of the small habitable cottage. The kitchen, yellow and blue in décor, had an aired atmosphere to it. The newly built kitchen with pine furnishings and hanging pots and pans over the rustic central table felt almost homely. The warmly surroundings gave them both a sense of ambience against their previous turbulent lifestyles back in Birmingham.

William, the more dominant of the two, was finding the more slowed way of life quite a struggle compared to the fast-paced lifestyle previously. Even though they now both worked free-lance as recognised published authors, their new life together in the middle of nowhere was a little too much to bear at times. But as far as William was concerned, none of it mattered as long as it kept his partner content. The source of his inspiration derived from his passion for his life-partner. Jake’s sweet nature and kind warmth, which shone greatly through his work, was the central aspect that William most adored.

The early morning light gently shone through clothed curtains and lit the aired kitchen radiantly. Jake was preparing a large course of a traditional English fry-up that consisted of scrambled and fried eggs, fried tomatoes, bacon, sausage and mushrooms, over the old-fashioned stove that was designed to their particular tastes.

Whilst, William was deeply concentrating on the local newspaper’s crossword puzzle and practically inhaling a small bowl of cereal and freshly squeezed orange juice.

Every now and then, William would look up from his newspaper, lovingly gaze at Jake and quietly sigh in content and appreciation for what Jake was doing for him on a daily basis. He’s in a constant rush around their new home together trying to make everything perfect for him and making the changes as comfortable as possible.

“How long have we got this snow for? It’s been constant for weeks” muttered William whilst trying to shovel another spoonful of Corn flakes down his throat.

Whilst not trying to divert himself from the cooking. Jake replied “Only another a few weeks now and it should die down”

“I hope so. This carries on and I’ll end up eating you” William jested.

William slowly moved away from the table and stealthily tip-toed over to Jake. So suddenly threw his arms around Jake’s waist and tenderly kissed the back of his neck.

“Hey! I nearly lost the whole lot” screamed a surprised Jake.

“Oh sorry, I do apologise” William replied whilst gazing down at the mouth-watering food.

Jake turned to face William with his hands in the air, still clutching the spatula, and passionately kissed him while William held him by the waist and drew him closer.

Jake sat there staring aimlessly into space with a painful vacant look on his face. The curtains were drawn with no light. The room was piled high with rubbish and newspapers that dated over two years ago. He had spent the last two years of his life contained as a recluse in his studio-apartment back in Birmingham.

His sister was frantically banging on the front door, in floods of tears, pleading him to open the door whilst fearing the worst. She had fallen on his door step and clawing at the wooden door not knowing what to do.

Jake remained there motionless, still glaring wide eyed into open space, and unaware of his sisters presence.

It had been three years since the accident. William was kicked in the face by one of the neighbour’s horses. Jake never came to terms of his partner’s death and still blames himself for his passing. It was unfortunate that Jake happened to witness the death but for a long time after he remained in a catastrophic state. Eventually he did get better but he never was the same loving man he once was.



© Copyright 2012 Mrwriter (clued at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1858797-What-once-was