*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1859579-Run
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Chapter · Action/Adventure · #1859579
The first chapter, The Marriage
The morning sun woke me from my peaceful sleep. I sat up in bed, pulling the deerskin blanket off of my fraile body. My long blonde hair fell over my shoulders as I pulled my knees to my chest. Today was the day I married. I glanced at my dresser, my wedding dress already set up on it. I sighed once again, not looking forward to being the bride of Elrond, the most horrible elf in the kingdom.
I heard my name being yelled out multiple times before someone came to my room, knocking hurridly on my door. "Ireth, hurry, dearest!" I rolled my eyes at my mother's high pitched voice. Even for an elf her voice was unnaturally luring, as if she were in front of me, pulling me to the door.
"Mother, Pythia, leave me be. I'm getting ready according to plans." I heard my mother angrily mutter something under her breath, then walk off. I assumed I had about twenty minutes to myself before I had to begin the final touches to my bridal look.
I carefully grabbed the wedding dress and slipped it on. It was long, framming my thin body perfectly, but managing to be loose and well fitting. I examined myself in the old mirror, paying close attention to my green eyes, which weren't as bright as usual, which undoubtedly was because I was marrying the man of my nightmares. Elrond was cruel, deceitful, horrible. No words could describe my hatred for him. He killed my father, and threatened that if I didn't marry him, my mother would be killed too. I could never tell my mother this, of course. She simply thought I was crazy and truly loved Elrond, which was far from the truth.
I silently walked out of my room, through with looking at myself and thinking about how miserable I am. Pythia looked over at me as I entered her room. "I'm ready for the rest, Mother." She grinned, more than likely at the fact that I needed her help for once. She patted her bed, I sat where she directed. She sat behind me, on her knees, because although she was tall, I was taller. She grabbed all of my hair and combed it slowly, untangling all the knots from sleep. After she finished brushing my hair she began to braid it, then finally released me.
"Go look at yourself." I rose from the bed, pulling my hair over my shoulder, looking at my reflection again. I gasped loudly at the sight of my hair. It was beautiful, a long braid, with silver ribbon intertwined in it, causing it to sparkle in the sunlight from the window.
"M-Mother, it's fantastic!" She nodded in approval, then pushed me gently into the hallway.
"We must get you to your wedding!" I cringed at the word, but followed her quick pace. We walked for about ten minutes before arriving at the small meadow which I would have my happiness taken away from me at. My mother left me alone as she went to tend to other things. I sighed softly, having nothing to do but stare at the flowers that blew slightly in the breeze.
It felt like forever before my mother came scurrying up to me, carrying a giant bouquet of flowers. "Here, Ireth. Take these, the ceremony is about to start!" I took the bouquet from here, holding it with both hands, near the bottom. I wasn't ready for this at all. I jumped slightly at the sound of the flutes and chimes signaling for me to begin walking down the rose petal isle. I inhaled deeply as I made my painful walk to the alter. I immediately saw my groom, his deep blue eyes, staring right through my fake happiness. I slowed my pace, dreading the moment I had to look eye to eye with him and swear to Hanali Celanil, the goddess of love and romance, that I will never leave Elrond. We will be eternal lovers, whether one of us passes to the next world or not.
I finally reached the alter, my long dress trailing behind me as I turned and faced Elrond. He grinned showing off his perfectly alligned teeth, just another part of him I hated. He took my left hand from the bouquet flowers and held it firmly in his hand. I noticed something glint in the sunlight, just beneath the sleeve of his shirt. I focused on it for a moment, seeing the outline of a throwing knife. He must of been prepared to kill, in case I decided to dismiss him in front of my mother and the guests.
The priest cleared his throat and began his small speech. I wasn't paying attention, I was trying to decide what to do next. I knew I didn't want to be eternally bound to Elrond, but what would that mean for Pythia? Death of course, the memory was still lodged in my brain. Elrond specifically said that if I didn't marry him my mother would be killed, just as my father had. I suppose I was supposed to speak, because everyone's eyes turned to me.
"What?" I glanced at my mother, who shook her head in disapproval. The crowd laughed.
"Do you take his hand in marriage, to hold him eternally?" The priest raised an eyebrow at my expression. I was concerned, but I didn't want this. I already knew my next action would cause the death of my mother. But, she wasn't happy with life anyways, she would return to the world as a flower, or something or another. I pulled my hand away from Elrond, his smile fading quickly. Swiftly, I removed the throwing knife from Elrond's sleeve, and threw it far with perfect accuracy at a tree, deep in the forest. Everyone gasped, my mother looked as if she was going to faint.
"Did you guess my answer?" I smirked, kicking off my shoes and ran. I didn't look back at the scene of chaos behind me. I let my body take over, running faster than I ever had before. My mind was set on a goal I couldn't quite grasp. Where was I going?
I stopped running as the sun was setting. I didn't have a clue where I was, and I was hungry and needed water. Thankfully I stopped near a stream. I kneeled down in front of the stream, the water flowing through the trees, small fish inhabiting it. I cupped my hands and dipped them into the water, and took a sip. I was going to need a weapon if I'm going to survive out here. I looked over the nearby trees, one of them was a willow, which would be the perfect wood for a bow. The only problem was I didn't have a knife, I should've kept Elrond's. After my thirst was surpressed I leaned against a nearby tree, allowing my mind to wander..
© Copyright 2012 Marissa Ann (demoncharms4 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1859579-Run