*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1859905-Sunlights-Intervention
by Steven
Rated: E · Non-fiction · Experience · #1859905
A telling of a troubling childhood expieriance of mine
I had stepped out of the gymnasium unlike all the other kids who ran and sprinted as soon as those metal doors opened, across the empty, open and shadeless parking lot of rocks, some still rocks some reduced to sand. It was hot and cloudless that day so I choose to let the rest of the kids run as I took my time trudging across this artificial desert that I despised due to my excessive perspiration. I soon regretted my decision because the sun really began to mercilessly pound me with heat while at the same time blinding me.
      Despite the heat I kept my hands away from my face and white button down shirt buttoned all the way to the collar. Instead my hands stayed in my pocket. I stayed cool by keeping my head down and breathing rapidly to supply my body with air.
      Just after an inhale I felt my feet snatched from under me sending me face first onto the gravel, I knew what was happening and I knew I was alone. I kicked free without looking back and I began to run. I ran to the first place that came to mind which surprisingly wasn’t toward the playground but instead across a few gates and through a couple backyards and to my demise into a dark alley where I was cornered.
      I remember accepting my fate being pushed to the ground and being repeatedly kicked and punched for reasons that I understood where “because they could”. I couldn’t tell you who they were I never looked back when running and my head was down when I took the beating. The whole time I was choking on the dust that was kicked up and just patiently waiting for the moment to stand up. It lasted maybe ten minutes.
      It had ended with them running away; I didn’t realize the extent of the damage until they had left. I felt blood running from my nose and my stomach felt as if it was forcibly caved in. I choose not to go back to school; instead I sat there in the alley to let my joints heal so that I could eventually stand up. I kept track of time with my now busted wrist watch and when I had to, I conjured the strength to get up and walk home at 3:30. I walked out of the comfort of the dark into the blinding light. It was when I walked out into the sun I noticed nose blood had stained my shirt and on my shoulder was a glob of saliva. My black pants were now gray with dust and torn at the knee. My numb limbs made the walk home that much more grueling.
      To avoid being noticed I ran into my house through the back door. I find it interesting through the entire ordeal I shed no tears. Once in my room I immediately stripped off my cloths and took a shower and took the most peaceful nap I had ever taken. 
© Copyright 2012 Steven (flclmonkey at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1859905-Sunlights-Intervention