*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1862251-Don-Wander-Too-Far-Away
Rated: E · Short Story · Family · #1862251
A short story about a mother and daughter.
Sunshine danced on the blonde curls that twirled in the warm afternoon breeze. Cherry red cheeks, speckled with dark brown freckles, shown brightly on her smiling happy face. A sea gall cries in vain nearby, while trying to glide gracefully with the coastal breeze. The child stops running listening to the sound of her feet slap playfully in the brisk ocean wave that caressed the shoreline. She hears the clap of a angry distant wave challenging the enormous stone cliff. The comforting sounds of an living ocean that never sleeps tries to drown the tone of a worried mother. The cheerful girl cocked her ear to the side trying to hear the strained distant calls of her beloved mother. "Sara, Sara!" The girl turns to search for the anticipated look of her mothers face. "I am here mommy!" The mother's foot stops walking with a relieved expression on her face," Sara, don't wander too far away! Come back sweetheart!" The child sighed a frustrated sigh. Disapointed she did not get go any further. Disapointed she did not get see the dried jellyfish that was just a few more yards further. Angry that her mother would not let her be a,"big girl." As she turned, she let out an emotional sigh ready to be over dramatic in her childish phlight, and started running back towards her waiting mother. On her way, she seen the large imprint of her mother's foot in the wet sand beginning to fill with water and fade away.

Sunshine danced on the blonde curls that twisted in a circular dance with the afternoon breeze. It had taken her mother almost an entire week to talk the young woman into spending time togather at the beach that day. The young woman stretched out on her brightly colored towel trying to take in some sun on her pale colored skin. Her mother had decided to sit on her own towel nearby lost in thought as she watched the familar scene around them. The teenage girl sigh a frustrated sigh and turned her attention to a distant cliff she knew all too well. The young girl thought of the many days she spent on this same beach attempting to find every shred of nature to run to, that would more than likely, lead her to the enormous cliff that stood so strong. Imagining the caves, everything that could be seen from the top of the cliff and what could be on the other side. The teenager sat daydreaming of a not very far off place recalling past regrets and her desire to do what she had always wanted to do. She stood, unnoticed by her self absorbed mother, and walked detirmined towards the object she was obsessed with. The journey seemed uneventful and much shorter than she ever could imagine. Never once on her way did she hear the strained tone of her anxious mother. She was overcome with a delightful feeling, as she began a crawling pace up the jagged sides of never forgotten cliff. Half way up, she heard much further away than ever before, the strained worried tone of her aging mother. "Sara! Come back down! I dont want you to get hurt! Sara! Don't wander too far away!" The young teen woman sighed again in frustration and wondered as she crawled back down towards her angered mother, " Will I ever get to go further away?"  As she walked, unwillingly, her flittering gaze locked curiously onto one image. Her mothers foot print in the wet sand filling up with water and fading away.

Her blonde curls danced to the music of a flittering breeze. The smell of salt was thick in the air. An over powering feeling of comfort flooded the women's soul. She could close her eyes and still see everything around her as images flooded her mind. The sounds of sea galls calling out to one another, the untamable ocean churning and yet she noticed the one thing missing. She opened her eyes with much regret, not wanting to search for what was lost. She slowly stood as if the heaviness in heart was pulling her back down onto dry shore. In one hand was a small gold colored vessel, that she held close to her side and in her other hand held the puggie dempled hand of her six year old son. Her son looked up at his loving mommy wanting to play instead of be serious. However, today was Grandma's birthday and mommy had something special planned. No words passed that afternoon as they trudged towards the foamy waters that kissed the afternoon shore. The little boy looked down in interest and seen his mother's foot print filling with water and fading away. His mother released the little boy's hand and she reached into the vessel she carried. "I love you momma. Don't wander too far away," the woman chanted in a soft tone lost in a flood of memories that day. The eager young face of her freckled face little boy said with the sweetness only a child could convey," Mommy, grandma love use alot. She won't leave us." The mother smiled slightly glancing at her son and turning them back towards the shore. She glanced at her feet and noticed her own foot prints in the wet sand filling with water and she thought  how much it reminded her own dear mother. She new than her mother would always be with her no matter where she went or wandered.
© Copyright 2012 Berryredgirl (jlh1375 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1862251-Don-Wander-Too-Far-Away