*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1862289-Prologue
by CalRip
Rated: E · Fiction · Friendship · #1862289
They met when they were children. 11 years later, they meet again.
Prologue



Out on the playground, two children were playing catch with a yellow mutt. The little girl held out her hand and the little boy tag her before running off while the dog panted, ears flapping and running circles around their legs.



“Come and catch me!” The little girl high pitched laughing voice rang out.



“You can’t run as fast as me.” The little boy started chasing her and in a few seconds caught hold of her flying braids.



“I win! I win!” He singsong, jumping up and down.



“Not fair, Brownie tripped me.” She pouted. “My turn now,” She decided before turning to the dog and scolded him. “Now you get out of my way,” She bent down and patted the dog’s head when he gazes ruefully at her. “Good doggie.”



He race off and she started running in his direction, their legs pumping with energy; shrieks echoing each time she nearly caught him. Without knowing, they had ventured out of the playground’s perimeter and onto a crossroad junction. Out of nowhere, a car turned the corner and zoom out onto the road in the direction of the children. Their playful cries turned into horrified screams when the young boy ran across the pathway towards the incoming car. The little girl froze a second after the car to screech to a halt. Her crying started after she realized something was very wrong with her playground friend who was lying on the road. People came in all directions. The blood scared her, but she continued touching him. “Daniel, Daniel! Wake up!” She called out, but to no response.



In the hospital, a harried-looking Asian woman came up to a doctor and pleaded to see her young boy who had just been brought in. “Please, I need to see him. Where is he?” Her hair was in the form of a messy bun and her once immaculate office attire was wrinkled and disheveled. Her eyes were filled with anxiety, and she paced back and forth in the corridor when asked to wait a moment. The nurse wheeled the little boy out of the operating room and the mother rushed over, one hand clutching the bed rail, while another touching and smoothing her child’s forehead. Her lips moved as she whispered soothing words and prayers over him. Her eyes filled with tears of horror at the sight of her little boy, but she did not let them fall.



The little girl hiding behind a wall hugged a pink teddy to her chest. She didn’t really know what was going on; she only knew that Daniel, her friend had been hurt. There had been blood everywhere and he hadn’t answered when she called his name. The sight of him lying on the road had scared her so much she had screamed and screamed. A guy in white uniform had seen her crying, covered in blood and had brought her to the hospital to check for any injuries. Just traumatized, she heard the doctor told the nurse. She was given an orange lollipop and told to sleep for awhile. “Where’s her family?” The doctor spoke to the nurse again instead of asking her. She had run out when the nurse told her to lie on a white bed. She peeked out of her hiding place and saw the white-dressed nurses pushed Daniel into a small room. She waited for a long time, waited for all of them to close the curtain and go out before sneaking into the room and placing her only known worth, a pink stitched teddy next to him. “Teddy will keep you company. Sleep tight.” She said to him and snuck out again. She longed to run back to her small shack where her grandmother sat waiting for her and cuddle up against the warm inviting arms where at last, her confusion and terror-filled day can dissolves with her tears.

© Copyright 2012 CalRip (esmes at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1862289-Prologue