*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1862722-The-Berkshire-Diamond
by Rojodi
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Action/Adventure · #1862722
The professor has found what he's searched for: A large gemstone.
The Berkshire Diamond
WC:298


“My search has ended,” the professor exclaimed, holding a large gemstone.  Turning to his compatriots, he showed them the rock.  “Have you ever seen such a large diamond before?”

“No, Myron,” a woman said.  “It’s beautiful.”

“Can I hold it?” another asked.

“Sure, Evelyn,” Myron said.  He stood and walked the few paces to her.

“My God, it’s lovely.” 

“And heavy,” a man added.  “I can tell by the way you’re holding it.”

“I wish I found it,” someone said.  He stood, brushed off dirt from the knees of his khakis, and stretched his back. 

“Oh hush, Stephan,” Evelyn began.  She handed the gem back to the professor and faced the purple ball-capped man.  “Maybe you can find it tomorrow.”

“Bah, haven‘t in the last month,” he said in disgust.

“Oh, dear Stephan, there’s always tomorrow,” another woman said, the soothing tone of her voice grandmotherly.

“He’s such a whiner,” a male voice added.

“Give it up, Stephan, you’ve never found it,” yet another female voice commented.  The civil tone of the discovery, the reverie of Professor Myron Blanchard, the genuine gentility of the scene was lost.  It was turning angry, ugly.

“Okay, okay,” a woman wearing pink nurse scrubs shouted.  “I think it’s time we all put down the tools and brush ourselves off.”  She looked behind her and nodded.  Three men wearing identical light blue scrubs joined her.  “Help the guests up and back to their rooms.” 

“Oh, Fiona,” Myron began.

“Oh, Professor,” the nurse interrupted.  She took a quick look at her watch.  “Lunch is in ten minutes.”

“Today my favorite, turkey,” Evelyn said, her fragile body being gently lifted off the nursing facilities lawn by a male nurse’s assistant.

“You’d think a facility full of academics would be better behaved,” Fiona whispered to herself.
© Copyright 2012 Rojodi (rojodi at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1862722-The-Berkshire-Diamond