*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1863904-Life-is-relished-as-a-commoner
Rated: E · Article · Satire · #1863904
Why I decided to remain a common man.
Life is relished as a commoner


To make history is one thing; to be just part of the flow is another. I am someone who has decided in life to remain common and just go wherever it goes with the flow, be it the trash can.

Everyone has decided something in life. They all have ambitions. Me? I have one pair of shoes, one good suit, a single tie and plenty of woolen socks for the winter - and towels for when it sneezes. And that’s it. I am keeping it this way. I am making this happen this way that I can.

His commonness I would rather be known because the Lord is already high. When they’d ask me to cast a vote for them, I’d do it because that is my job. When they will raise my tax, I will give it because that is my due. When they come with their guns blazing, I will be the first one to die, because that was my share. I am the first one to be the common man. But I shall do it. I shall be dutiful. I shall be obliged.

Just yesterday I saw prestige. She was a pretty little thing with a dress too high for her feet. I still took. So I put on my one good suit, fastened my tie, put on that pair of shoes I had, and got ready to mingle. Prestige didn't notice at first but I coughed a little and that’s it, I had her attention. Prestige was very nice to me and told me she had a plan. I was mesmerized listening to her, and she told me I could be a part of it. I was so into it. By now I could see all these lights shining, the cameras beaming, and my life prestigious as ever. So I went on board. Prestige put a single tag around me, sent me on the floor and got me to start dancing. Boy I really picked it up. I was moving, I was jooving. I was all over the dance floor. Then I really started to mingle. Boy, I was a hit. When I had gone on board, I hadn’t realized how much fun I would be having. By now I was drunk with this hospitality. They were making me famous, and keeping me happy. What more could I want?           

I didn’t realize I’d want more; I’d want everything. So prestige went on and zeroed in on me, and she said you can have it. I couldn’t believe my luck! I was so lucky! I said let’s go. She took me to a tailor. She took me to the barber. She took me everywhere. Prestige was really nice, she kept a cotton hanky.

Now I knew I had to struggle. I hadn’t gotten there, but if I wanted to I’d really have to keep my heart strong. But what do you know; with prestige everything was so easy. She just got herself a cotton hat, and there, people were listening to her.
She told the people I was it. It was either me or nothing. Mountains may move, but without my help, we couldn’t move a curtain. I was also the strongest, the one with the most caliber, and astute as always. If I couldn’t win, no one could. They believed her, they put me in charge. And that was it. Everyone knew who I was; it was perfect. Applaud please, I am coming; it was like that.

Now I was known all over the world. They knew I was the stalwart, the massive one, and so on. Prestige was always by my side, and without her I couldn’t get anything done. The people asked for change, I gave them change. They asked for economic well-being, I gave them economic well-being. They asked for cotton hats, I gave them cotton hats. It was all working out for me, and then the people started asking for more. We said we’d do it; we’d take them everywhere. Prestige took my hand and told me to get ready to conquer the world. It happened. We traveled the world and made people submit before our strength. Prestige was like a delight for me, with her by my side everyone was so submissive. They knew I had to rival. They had no choice but to listen. And they listened. We had conquered the world.

It was strangely wonderful until she took me in this bliss. Now I had known power beyond imagination. She took me in her arms and started crying, I haven’t been through this before. Look at what you’ve done. You’ve conquered the world, now what will you do? And that is when I realized it, prestige isn’t anything. So now I am living a common man.
© Copyright 2012 Raza Hussain Zaidi (srhzaidi at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1863904-Life-is-relished-as-a-commoner