*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1864140-Day-of-Princesses-and-Plumbers
Rated: E · Short Story · Emotional · #1864140
This is a story inspired by a video game, and life experiences.


  If someone had told me back then how different everything would be today I never would had believed them…….
I once lived back in a time when the most important thing to do was to save the Princess and make sure your plumber could fly. The days of the reign of King Koopa….a much simpler time, a time of magic and skill. My little plumber and I would work for hours to defeat the bosses, slay King Koopa,  and save that elusive Princess. And one day, after hours of hard work, we finally did.

  Somewhere along the way, back in the very early days, a new Princess was born. A beautiful, happy Princess that would bring sunshine into what was becoming a dark and gloomy world. A Princess that I vowed to keep safe and locked away in my castle forever.  But like all children, Princesses also grow up much too soon. They learn to grow wings and to fly, just like the plumbers of yesterday.

  I once reveled that my children were always there to love and to be taken care of. Childhood was a wondrous time that flew by so fast I never even saw it go by.  Childhood quickly faded and made its way into adulthood, and soon into the grueling working world. Puppy love soon turned into real love, and at times turned into heartbreak that I could not stop. This made me feel so helpless, I was no longer the hero that I once was, one that could make everything all better. Those days are long since gone, and I cannot save, or protect anyone any longer.

  Looking back I can't help but wonder how I missed the time fleeting by, days that seemed to never end are now just a bittersweet memory. So much was taken for granted and things that I assumed would last forever didn't. The love that I thought would last a lifetime was taken over by much stronger forces, and in the end love was defeated. Friends were always there when I needed them, and I was always there for them. Friendships that I once thought would always be in my life, are no longer to be found. Parents that were always there to love me, parents I took for granted and assumed would never leave me, slowly aged and in the end faded away so fast that I could do nothing to stop it.

  Things will never be the same. I only wish I had taken the time to savor the joys and moments of the kingdom that I once had, one that crumbled so quickly that I never saw it coming. Why did “life” have to get in the way? There was a time when I would get unlimited lives and know that I would defeat the evil world, and finally save the Princess, because I had all the time I needed with my unlimited lives.

  I no longer have unlimited lives, just one. There is never enough time and everything is always so hurried, to the point that there are days when I feel like I cannot breathe. Long, lazy days without worry are days that are getting harder and harder to remember.

  Now Princesses and plumbers no longer fill my day. No more battles to be won, no more bosses to defeat. Princesses no longer need to be rescued and plumbers can no longer fly.

  But I once lived in a time when they did. All that is left of those days are memories…..sweet memories of Princesses and plumbers.

© Copyright 2012 lorrielee kelley (lorrielee at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1864140-Day-of-Princesses-and-Plumbers