*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1865092-Iron-Blood-Part-II
by caylra
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Action/Adventure · #1865092
Senna's perilous journey continues as she discovers dark, terrifying secrets.
III



Early on the fifth or sixth day, the man came into my room to find me peering out the window. I did not turn to look, the view of blue nothingness captivating me, but I knew it was him. Juniper growls from the bed, but I suspect he shot her a glare because she quiets without another sound.

“We will be landing by nightfall. Come with me to eat,” he says, commanding more than requesting. I spent the past days mourning my sister, only leaving the room to use the restroom. Half-eaten plates stacked in the corner glare at me, only Juniper having touched them.

I do not move. Rather, I ask him what his name is. A moment of silence follows before he answers, “Rodrick. Now come.”

I peer over my shoulder and see that his shawl is replaced by thick, dark hair. Revealing a rather attractive face, though I would never voice such an observation, I take in his appearance. His strong jawline and prominent nose give him the look of a soldier, the coldness in his expression adding to this effect. A quick scan of his muscled build verifies his athleticism and what has to be years of strength training. My eyes move back to his and I wonder if, like mine, such a color is a rarity where he is from.

“I would tell you my name but I assume you already know,” I state with a pinch of sarcasm.

Rodrick ignores it and merely repeats his request. I nod, even though my stomach churns in refusal. I must regain any energy I can. Picking up Juniper, he shakes his head. “Your pet is going to have to remain here.”

I scoff, beginning to get irritated. Yes, he may have saved my life, but it certainly was not by his own volition and I am not some meek, helpless captive he can order around. “Juniper is hungry and I will not leave her in here alone.” He only shrugs as if he’s talking to a small child.

We climb down the ladder to what appears to be a dining hall. Several sailors sit about as they scarf down their breakfast, belligerently conversing with one another. Many were watching a large, portly man with one leg propped on the table and arms crossed over his chest. I recognized his animated voice the moment he speaks.

“There were fifteen – no twenty guards waiting for me at the gate, each bigger and more vicious than the last. Their swords dripped of venom and they carried guns as big as my whole arm!” Samuel makes a fist and flexes his thick arm. His audience entertains his story with a flourish of awes and gasps which spurs him on. “As I approached, keep in mind I had no weapons or men, their leader steps forward with two thunderous steps.” He stomps twice on the table and leans in dramatically. “His face was now inches from me, his breath reeking of rotting flesh. I look straight into those black, bottomless eyes and say-”

At that moment he catches us in the background and completely changes his demeanor. “And here is our hero and heroine now,” he greets with a lop-sided grin, stepping from the table.

All eyes turn to us, Juniper wriggling to be freed as she sniffs the air. My cheeks flare brightly. I never do like being the center of attention; I always left that to the other wenches who gladly took it. Samuel orders the men to get back to breakfast and comes up to us. “Enjoy the story? I thought I overdid it a tad bit but never-the-less accurate!” He laughs heartedly, “Now let me take a look at you girl, Evelyn right? You are so young…and scrawny! Hopefully you are tougher than you look,” He moves to pet Juniper and I pull her out of his reach. Samuel raises his bushy eyebrows with surprise, “Ah, it seems we got a spirited one! That will hopefully prove to be useful. Now, I bet you and the little one are hungry, why don’t we sit and eat?”

He shows us to a vacant table and signals for the server on duty to bring us food. I try not to think that we are thousands of feet in the sky and that I’m surrounded by complete strangers that can kill me within seconds. A sour-faced sailor tosses us metal plates and scoops wet, milky rice into each one. I turn my nose at the smell to keep myself from vomiting. Rodrick and Samuel dig in without complaint and I force myself to eat three spoonfuls before setting the plate on the bench for Juniper.

“You do not say much, girl. Tell me, how is life in the magnificent capital of Principle?" Rodrick pushes his empty plate forward and leaves without a word, disappearing upstairs. I don’t want to make small talk, but Samuel’s jovial demeanor seems to lure my voice to speak. “I…wouldn’t call it magnificent…”

“No? What about the technology? The holograms, the magical screens? I would say living with such things must be nice.” I picture these things as he talks, but all I see is the dark, disconsolate parts of the city I spent two years in.

“Only if you are a noble.”

“Yes, indeed,” he frowns and changes the subject, “So, have you been on an airship before? Pretty impressive for an old gal isn’t she? You should have seen her in her prime. Gave those giant balloons a run for it!”

A smile curls the ends of my lips unexpectedly and Samuel grins. “That’s what I want to see! Now, can you tell me why we were sent all the way to Principle to get you? You must have something valuable to provide us with. Perhaps a skill or a talent?” He sees my face immediately change as the wound reopens in my heart thinking about Orchid. Before I say anything, someone silences the entire room with a clearing of their throat.

“Captain Sutton! Finally decided to join us, did you?” Samuel exclaims.







Stepping off the ladder, a woman looks around the room with a stern stare. Orange, black-tipped hair topples her head in braids and loose strands. She stands with an imposing demeanor; sharp, jade eyes skimming each face with scrutiny. Captain Sutton stops when she sees me. “You must be Evelyn Lee.”

I nod, unsure if I should speak. She approaches me with swift steps, her small stature easily overlooked by her ripped physique. With a white tunic and brown high-boots, she plays the part of a captain effortlessly. “Miss Lee, you may address me as Marianne. Now-” She stops, narrowing her gaze at Juniper who sits obediently next to me with rice all over her snout. “What…is that?”

“Her name is Juniper she is-”

Marianne raises a hand to stop me and scrunches her nose in distain. “I know you are a guest on my ship. However, you should have been informed,” she shoots a look at everyone else, “animals are forbidden on my vessel. Now please escort your mongrel to your assigned room before I teach it how to fly.”

I’m stunned by her bluntness but refrain from revealing it. Instead, I retort, “Maybe you should reconsider your tone with me since I seem to be important to those paying you.”

Those surrounding us glower lowly at me. I try to hide the trembling in my hands and keep my face still. Marianne smirks.

“You have balls, I like it. Very well then, you may keep that thing with you. However, if I find it anywhere near me without your presence, I will get rid of it. And do not forget who saved you from death today,” she turns her attention to Samuel, “Will you escort Miss Lee to the top deck? I do believe she has yet to obtain the thorough experience of a ride on an airship. From her taste in clothes I assume she is not of noble blood.”

He chuckles and salutes her, everyone else repeating his action as she goes down the ladder without another word. I start to feel my pulse quicken with nervousness as Samuel motions for me to head to the ladder. I don’t know how I am with heights and I don’t really want to find out anytime soon. Never-the-less, Samuel accompanies me from behind as I climb, my sweaty palms pushing the hatch open. Light showers me and I shield my eyes as I step onto the deck. A strong wind whips my hair around, making my balance unsteady as I make my way to the rail.

The view completely astounds me. Blue sky stretches out around me into the endless distance. Patches of white clouds scatter about, a cool chill sweeping by me each time we pass through one. I look down to marvel at the dark, rippling water reflecting the ship as we soar across. The height was unsettling, but surprisingly did not make me want to hurl as I hear happens to many on their first flight. Juniper squeals delightedly next to me and prances around my feet.

“We are traveling over the Semuri Sea, quite a distance from the capital now,” Samuel says as he leans on the rail, “Once we hit the Augusin Desert, it’s only a matter of hours before we reach Pyre. It is there where you will learn the reason for your required attendance, since Captain Sutton and I were left out of the meeting. Seems we are not worthy enough to learn of your importance,” he explains.

“Pyre?” I ask absentmindedly, my main focus still on my surroundings, but the name ringing a bell, “Such a place does not exist.”

“Ah, such naïve youth is refreshing…I would be surprised if you believed it did. Let’s just say that the Council would sacrifice many of its men to find out its location. You are now a fugitive of Principle and Pyre is the safest place you can be right now. But look on the bright side, better a fugitive than dead,” he chuckles. Turning to leave, Samuel suddenly takes on a solemn tone. “I know you have questions, and I am sorry for what misfortune has fallen upon you. But that fire you are feeling, keep it burning. It will get you through.” He heads off to assist the sailors in their deck duties, leaving me momentarily stunned. I quickly shift my thoughts to my environment; refusing the emotions he evoked to overtake me. The only thing I have control of right now is my assertiveness and I want to continue portraying myself as so, even if all I feel is despair.

I don’t know how much time passes as I stand there watching the sky shift colors. The sea below is now replaced by a white blanket; presumably the desert Samuel called Augusin. I can feel the heat reflecting off the sand, even with the bellowing wind and being so high above. Thankfully, no one bothers me or tries to engage in conversation, not even when someone shouts dinner and most go down to eat. I decide to skip on eating, the bland taste of the previous meal still in my mouth, and instead sit with Juniper.

It still feels so surreal being up here. In such a short amount a time, my existence, as small as it may be, had been torn apart and now I am on the run for reasons I cannot believe. What was going to happen now could only be surmised through my imagination.

Dusk covers most of the sky when I catch sight of the flickering lights in the distance. “Pyre! We have reached Pyre,” a sailor booms, everyone pouring out from below, including Marianne. She shouts orders as she makes her way to the wheel and prepares to land. They move about with effortless mechanics, grabbing ropes and tossing them over the side. The excitement makes me stand on my stiff legs and watch as we near the lights, the shapes of tents coming into view. Flags of varying colors wave from the tops of the enormous, decorated tents that tower like buildings. Surrounding them are smaller ones that span out for miles, packed together tightly in clusters.

“Halt the fans! Bring in the sails!” Marianna bellows, the ship lurching forward as it slows above a large platform in the midst of the tents. Figures below yell to one other as they grab the ropes and tether them to the poles. Everything is happening so quickly that I have little time to prepare myself for the descent. My stomach drops when the ship free-falls at a gentle, but quick pace before landing with a shuddering halt, the ropes stretching tightly to hold it from tipping over.

Rodrick appears next to me and I hear him sigh with what must have been relief. I look down to see my own palms imprinted from griping the railing. The bridges sputter open, startling my already sensitive nerves. “Do not worry, you are in no danger here,” Rodrick reassures detachedly, “We must go speak to Elias. He is waiting for us.”

Before I can ask who Elias is, Rodrick heads off the ship. I pick up Juniper and make my way down, alongside sailors just as happy as me to get off, all except Marianne.

“We meet back here in two days’ time and I expect everyone to be accounted for at dawn, that means you too Falc!” she yells from the deck. The men salute as they whoop excitedly and scatter off, probably to find a warm bed or woman.

Darkness has overtaken all light, aside from the torches set about. The entire environment is strange and new, even the smell of the wind is different. Never had I thought I would experience the world outside of Principle, but here I am. I reach down to touch the sand. The texture is soft and grainy, leaving a white stain as it passes through my fingers.

Rodrick allows me a moment of wonder before moving and I quickly follow, beginning to feel more vulnerable than ever. We walk through the camp, passing both men and women of varying, striking features. Some I recognized with the capital tattoos, others must have been from the neighboring cities ruled by Principle.

Laughter echoes across the air. I look behind me to see someone stumble out of a tent with a jug of ale, a woman helping him with a wide grin. The atmosphere is one of tranquility, yet I cannot help but feel anxious. The reason for these people to be here is surely not one of leisure and tomorrow’s demeanor would be more somber.

Finally, we reach a large tent that holds the flag of Principle on it, the orbs floating outside confirming it. I place Juniper down and command her to stay, her blue eyes staring brightly at me. He leads me through the flap into a circular room bustling with men and women scattered about. Piles of books are mounted about on tables, many open with pages strewn on the floor. Immediately my eyes fall on the darkly-tanned man speaking to another at the center of it all.

“Kelvesh,” I call out softly, but loud enough to gain the room’s attention. My lips tighten and say nothing more. I do not want my first impression to show any, what they might view as, weakness. The man accompanying him steps forward with a commanding demeanor. Aaron walks me to him and he looks me over for a moment before speaking. “You must be Evelyn Lee,” he turns, nodding at the others to get back to their business, “It is unfortunate what has occurred to your sister. Every person at this camp understands the loss of a loved one at the hands of the Council. My name is Elias, leader of the Principle rebellion here in Pyre. This man you call Kelvesh is our operative at the capital, has been for years. He has been our ears through which we have gathered a great deal of information, including the news of your sister’s execution. You are very fortunate, for he insistented that we bring you here safely on the grounds that you aid us in return.”

My body stiffens at hearing this. The night before, Kelvesh and I were at the tavern exchanging pleasantries and he never once mentioned this to me. The betrayal I feel leaves a lump in my throat, but I swallow it down and continue to listen.

“An important member of our group we call 17 has been captured and sent to the helionite mines. 17 is a prominent leader of the insurgence, having ties with nobles of Principle and the other ruled cities. Being that he is our only emissary of high rank, 17 must be rescued and be brought here. Kelvesh has suggested a plan that I believe will work out for all parties involved, including you.”

My eyes flicker from one man to another, both their faces calm and passive. I realize he is waiting for me to respond and all I can muster was a nod. Satisfied, he pats my shoulder and side-notes to Kelvesh, “You were right to define her as strong-willed. She perfects the art of acting, though her physique could use some work.”

“Sir,” a blonde, stout woman salutes as she approaches, “You must read these reports from the northern cities.”

Elias looks over at the documents in her hand, his brows furrowing as his eyes tensed.

“Kelvesh,” the leader commands without looking up. “escort Evelyn to any available beds in our area, preferably guarded. We will talk at dawn tomorrow. Rodrick, stay behind, we have matters to discuss.” With that said, we swiftly leave the tent. As soon as the flap closes I pull myself away. The anger I withheld quickly resurfaces, heat coursing through me as I glower at him. Juniper sees me and rushes at me, jumping into my arms.

“Eve-”

“Do not call me that! How could you not tell me? Orchid was executed and you cowardly kept your mouth shut,” I spat out the words, clenching my sweating fists.

“Eve,” his voice strains as he pleads, “I’m sorry. You must understand that there was nothing we could do. Believe me I tried everything-”

Tears cloud my vision and I hastily wipe them away. “You might as well have let me die too. I am of no use to anyone, especially here.”

He abruptly grips my arm. “You can avenge your sister’s death. Help us in this mission. Without 17, we will not be able to unite the cities and your sister’s executioners will go unpunished.”

“Why had such measures not been taken to save Orchid? Seems this 17’s life is far more valuable than hers. Your ‘rebellion’ is pushing against tyranny and injustice, yet you decide who is worthy of salvation.” I spit on the ground beside me.

“This rebellion is our only hope to overtaking the Council. Please, hate me all you must, I will live with that burden, but help your citizens, in Principle and around. There is no other way to rescue 17 but with your help." His grip loosens and his hands slide to my wrists. Aaron comes out of the tent, pausing momentarily to look at us before disappearing into another one nearby. A sudden calm overcomes me as I allow logic to quiet my feelings. What has happened cannot be undone, Orchid will never return to me. I can wallow in my anger or direct it into punishing her executioners.

“I will help with your mission, but I’m not doing it for you. Show me where to sleep and let me be.” My tone is hard, etched in spite. Kelvesh says no more as he walks me to a guarded tent and leaves me inside. I disregard the chorus of snoring as I find an empty bed with Juniper and pass out without another thought.





The smell of something sweet lulls me out of sleep and I pull my sore body up in bed. It seems yesterday’s events took a physical toll on me and the rock-hard bed did not help. Around me were women of all ages getting dressed for the day. I look down at the same tunic I have been wearing and scrunch my nose. Orchid’s chiming voice about body odor echoes in my mind.

“Hello there,” a light voice greets from above. I look up to see a small girl in the cot above watching me upside-down, her long, blonde hair tickling my raised knees. “My name is Saphine,” her head disappears for a moment before she wriggles herself onto the ground. “You must be new here. Who did you lose?”

The child’s question stung. Such a sad thing for a child to ask.

I think of what to say but can only smile at her. “Saphine! Leave the lady alone and come eat,” a woman scowls across the room. Saphine flashes me a grin and giggles before following who I presume is her mother outside. Juniper remains snuggled underneath the blanket. I redo my ponytail and quietly head out, walking only a couple feet before Rodrick comes up.

“We will join Elias for breakfast to go over any necessary details for tomorrow. Come this way,” he leads me to where Elias and a couple others sit around a table underneath a tarp to keep the sun off. As I've come to expect, Rodrick vanishes after saying a quick hello.

I'm expecting a semi-grand feast, assuming the leaders get first pickings, but am greeted by a bowl of steaming porridge. Catching my reaction, Elias laughs. “We do not hold to Principle’s ideal of to each their own. Here, we are all traitors. Each member of Pyre will eat, sleep, and live under the same standards and conditions. Now eat, porridge is a treat. It is usually cold rice for us.” Chuckles arise and I take a sip, surprised at how sweet it is. Sugar is a rare commodity outside of Principle, Pyre must have some high connections to be able to smuggle it out. I was only able to purchase sugar on special occasions like birthdays and even then it was never this sweet. A pang of sadness hits me as a memory of Orchid and I on my last birthday drifts into my mind, but I remain composed on the outside.

I eat quietly, observing the interaction between Elias and the others. After we all finish, he clears his throat and says, “I suppose we should attend to the matter at hand." His gaze focuses on me. “Evelyn Lee, you have been elected to join Captain Sutton and Rodrick on a rescue mission to retrieve 17. In return for a successful mission, you will have gained your right to stay in Pyre and the knowledge that you play a valuable hand in taking down the Council.”

The blonde woman from last night speaks up. “We know you have come to us under unfortunate circumstances and all of us grieve the loss of your loved one.” Her tone is genuine, revealing her own heartache of losing someone. “You will be among the most talented fighters we have; no harm will come to you.”

“Unless the guards do not believe her,” a scrawny, older man sitting next to me retorted, “They are still under the impression she escaped on one of the passenger vessels.”

“Captain Sutton is one of the most reputable trackers with her experience in the military, they will not dispute her,” Elias states without hesitance, "She risks her life on a daily basis working for us and for that she has gained my trust. I should hope, Xaiv, the same can be said for you."

The old man grunts but says no more, giving me a respectful nod.

“So what would you have me do?" I inquire as I try to focus the conversation. Being among such commanding presences drains me and I yearn to leave the table.

"The role you will play is simple enough; Captain Sutton will take you to the Helionite Mines as her captured prisoner. Once you arrive, 17 will be acquired, extracted, and returned here. Your only requirement is to play your part, no more no less. It is a three-day journey to the Mines so you will be leaving at dawn. Any questions?"

All eyes are on me and I restrain myself from shrinking away. "No, I understand."

Elias smiles approvingly. "You have my gratitude. You are dismissed if you wish to leave." I don't waste a moment thanking everyone before excusing myself.

Returning to the tent, I discover the little girl from earlier playing with Juniper on the floor. Her hair is spread across the ground and she shakes it vigorously, making Juniper pounce left and right. The scene is so unexpected that I start to chuckle, softly at first but the laughter grows into a heaving laugh that leaves me doubled over. She watches me with baffling amusement. "I like your dog," Saphine chimes, "She's funny. My mom is helping out in the kitchen, told me to go play, but I don't have anyone to play with." Her small hands brush through Juniper's coat.

The thought of making a dish, even one as simple as bread, made me crave cooking. I have always found the activity to soothe my mind. "Hey Saphine, why don't we make a deal?" I kneel down to her. "How about you show me where the kitchen is at and you can keep Juniper company for the rest of the day?" The little girl grins from ear to ear and bobs her head excitedly.

The rest of the day I spend working in the kitchen with the other cooks. It was surprising to see men working alongside women for in Principle such ideas were immediately condemned. Saphine's mother, Ondine, allows me to help her with cutting up the vegetables, the kind act giving me a mental escape as well as someone to exchange normal pleasantries. I had not realized how much I relied on Orchid for companionship and I sorely miss it already. We serve and eat dinner with the others, my wench skills coming in handy, before everyone disperses for rest. Seeing my chance to slip away, I call for Juniper who crawls out from beneath Saphine's blanket, and head towards the outskirts of camp. Endless miles of sand unfold ahead of me and we sit on a collection of large rocks. A large scorpion scurries into the dark.

I sigh heavily as I hold Juniper close, her ribs moving underneath my fingers. Orchid had found the pup a year ago and, as it is in her nature, brought it home. My immediate thought had been that the filthy furball would only be an added burden and I did not want the responsibility. I reluctantly helped clean her up and watched her race through the apartment, bouncing off the couch and into my lap, greeting me with kisses. “If you still have reservations about her by tomorrow I ca-”

I had stopped Orchid mid-sentence. “No, we can keep her,” I said, affectionately rubbing her ear. My sister then laughed at my quick change of mind and sat next to me.

“I want to call her Juniper, like the white flower. Doesn’t she look like a Juniper?”

From then on, Juniper was part of our small family and became my most trusted companion. A lot of laughs were shared due to this quirky dog who loved to attack our feet and dance on her hind legs. I can’t bear the thought of any danger befalling her during this ‘mission’ so I have to come up with something by tomorrow. For now, I just sit with her and watch the desert night sky.







Early dawn I return to the tent, having fallen asleep to the wind's warm breeze. Captain Sutton would be expecting me at any moment but I have to do this before I left. "Saphine," I whisper to the sleeping girl, "Wake up." She murmurs and slowly rubs her eyes open. "I have a mission for you, one of very high importance."

She sits up with widened eyes, listening intently.

"I have to go away for a while. Juniper needs to stay her with a friend, someone to watch out for her. She keeps telling me she wants to stay with you, how would you feel about that?" Saphine reaches out and Juniper squirms her way out of my arms into hers. She covers the dog underneath her blanket and looks back at me.

"She can stay with me for as long as she likes, I'll protect her." I gently pat the lump beside her and finish my goodbye, not wanting to start bawling in front of girl. Making my way to the ship, my eyes automatically scan for Kelvesh. Anger still grips me but his familiar face would soothe my anxiety. Instead, I find Samuel waiting for me at the landing dock.

"The chosen one lives! Still in the same attire I see," he glances at my hair as I approach, "I'm sure there is a girl underneath there somewhere..."

I smirk and scrunch my nose. "They think I'm a captured prisoner, not some noble passing through for a visit." Samuel laughs at my response and walks alongside me onto the ship.

"You are by no means a noble lady, you have too much of a personality for that. Besides, they would not be able to endure what you are about to."







IIII



I mutter underneath my breath as Samuel clamps the chains on my wrists. Trying not to think about the fact I can get killed during this rescue mission, I chastely smile at him. He chuckles at my sarcasm and rubs my head as someone would a niece. “You will put on a great performance. Remember, look bitter and wretched.”

Stuffed into the cargo area for the past night, I can’t feel anything but bitter and wretched. The three-day trip consisted of helping on deck with tedious tasks and being holed up in my room, segregated from everyone as requested by Marianne. She seems to believe I am in a fragile state due to recent events and would rather I not have a public nervous breakdown on her ship. Although the loss of my sister has ravaged my existence, I carry too much anger to break now.

“Let’s go, it’s time to shine.” At Samuel's queue, he leads me by the chains up the ladder. My tightly bound hands struggle to climb and he helps me the last few steps. I look ahead at the barren landscape, realizing the helionite mines are far worse than I imagined.

Colossal mountains stretch across the horizon, their peaks puffing dark smoke. An ember glow peeks out from behind them with a menacing stare. The giants growl deeply, lightning scattering above in response. The entire scene sends chills down my spine and I move towards the rail. Below us, sharp, jagged rocks jut out from the churning sea, reaching up like splayed fingers. A gust slams into us, sending my hair into a frantic dance and bringing with it the metallic odor.

“Ugh, I can taste it!” I shout over the elements, the helionite tingling on my tongue like a sour capyor fruit. To add to all this, icy rain begins to fall in sheets of tiny daggers. The droplets sting each time they hit my skin and I turn my head in a futile attempt to shield my eyes. I expect to slip on the deck but an unseen adhesive stuck to the bottom of my boots. A cloak is placed on me and Samuel's booming voice breaks through with ease.

"They say the prisoners don't dare escape", he says overly poetic, "Where would they go, when even the cool gentle rain has forfeited its ways to the heat of the land. What chance would they stand?"

I know the stories all too well of this place. The tales reveal how the treacherous elements cause even the fittest of prisoners to crumble within a week of arrival. Most infamous of these dangers is the unrelenting wind that is said to torment those in its path with a howling kick, driving any who escape or listen closely to it completely mad.

Samuel continues his monologue. "Like the hushed giggling of children or the faint voice of a maiden; to each is different but for all it coerces their demise. Some to the sea below, others it led on in circles till they couldn't follow any more. Cruel is the howl of the wind that blo-."

"That is enough, Samuel!" Marianne interrupts, Rodrick at her side as they join us. "This is not the time for your performances. Your guns are repaired; make sure to test the triggers. Evelyn, remember; do not speak to anyone, even if you are spoken to. Once we attain 17, we will be running for our lives so be ready. Rodrick will stay by you to make sure all goes as planned. Quickly place these in your ears, it will cancel out the wind. I will see you all after we land." We stuff the black material in our ears and the whirring ceases.Without a moment to spare she turns and begins the landing procedure, Samuel following.

The mountains tower high around us as we begin descending, cutting off much of the sky above. We veer to the left through a tight waterway. Torches adorned the steep paths alongside the mines, shadowed figures travelling up and down with carts. Rodrick pulls me back as some hurl heavy rocks at us, one barely missing my head. I thank him sincerely, even though it irritates me to find my life, yet again, in his hands due to my physical incompetence. I silently vow that if I survive this, I will learn to fight as soon as I get to Pyre.

We enter a wide opening, the barely lit dock filled with small warships that I have only seen once before during the last riot. The only ships allowed on the air routes are those for passengers and cargo. Warships are maintained in various locations kept hidden from regular citizens, one obviously being the Helionite Mines. Principle goes through extreme measures to horde helionite; their way of maintaining control over the other cities.

My heart begins to quicken and I clasp my fingers tightly. Only a week ago I was working at the tavern, going about my own business, and now here I am, more than likely going to die at the hands of Principle like my sister. I'm frightened and miserably soaked and probably going to be spending my last moments underneath a soldier...

Lights shine on us from below and the fans are turned off over an opening. The Grand Splendor is thrown ropes and securely tied, both sides spluttering open. A group of soldiers await us with guns drawn. I breathe in shakily as Rodrick shoves me forward in a display of superiority. We make our way down to be greeted by their weapons pointed at my chest.

"Greetings Captain Sutton," the tallest who stands in front says, "please state the name of your prisoner."

Marianne salutes by clenching her right fist over her left shoulder. "Greetings Lieutenant Abram, I have successfully retrieved Evelyn Lee, class one fugitive. She was found hiding in the cargo hold of vessel #3-27 heading to Viam. Coward little thing, didn't even put up a fight."

He slightly nods and steps towards me to assess. His mask reveals only suspecting, blue eyes that meet mine through the rain. I immediately avert my gaze, trying to appear as terrified as possible. "Private, bring me the log reports," Abram commands without looking away, the soldier next to him fumbling with a watch-like object on his wrist. A hologram projects folders above his arm and he moves forward. The lieutenant reaches up and using his fingers to scroll through various files. "That particular vessel does not show any logged arrival or departures from Principle," he shifts his attention to Rodrick, "Can you explain this discrepancy?”

The captain smoothly responds, "Vessel #3-27 was reprimanded to be an emergency convoy in transporting the victim's family from Morteve to the execution. All reports are logged under section 1.3.6922."



CONTINUE CHAPTER 4!



(sry about spaces mishap)
© Copyright 2012 caylra (angelmaiden at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1865092-Iron-Blood-Part-II