*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1865834-Food-is-more-important-to-me-than-air
by Boz
Rated: · Short Story · Health · #1865834
A funny item portraying how a patient reacts when deprived of his only pleasure- eating
An elderly patient was admitted at ithe hospital suffering from boulimia. His main complaint was indigestion.. This is a new type of disease whereby the patient eats continuously and binges. Eating becomes a hobby. Being of short stature with a round face, protruding eyeballs and pot bellied he looked like a basset. On stepping into the ward he questionned the nurse about meals.

'' Excuse me Miss, would you please explain to me the varieties of menus in details and the meal time tables''

Yes, Mr Hungry food is served only thrice in the ward, morning, noon and evening. Since most of the patients have a high level of cholesterol here only vegetarain menus are available''

Oh Lord, I will die of starvation and malnutrition in this hospital'' he replied.

The following day while doing his ward round the doctor came across Mr Hungry. The latter was ingesting an apple and a banana at the same time. He inquired about the patient's illness with the nurse. When he learned the diagnosis he ausxculted Mr Hungry and wondered if he was suffering from goi/tre However, when he diagnosed the real problem, he strongly recommended the patient to do strict dieting. The patient was amazed with the treatment prescribed Instructions were given to the nursing staff to monitor him as far as his gluttonous habits were concerned. All food was removed from his locker. He was ordered to eat only bread slices and water. The patient did not appreciste it at all. He became furious.

''Doctor, everyone must live to eat but I live and love to eat. Eating is a passtime for me'' he voiced out.

But the doctor warned him about the consequences of overeating '' Your face is like a water- melon yuor tummy looks like a pumpkin and you limbs ressemble like carrots. If you do not abide by the treatment I will have to perform surgey on you'' he affirmed.

Mr Hungry found it awkward to adhere to to the alimentary regulations imposed by the docrtor Whenever the nursing staff was busy with other patients specially at night he availed himself of this opportunity to enjoy the sweets and pastries brought by the relatives which were concealed beneath the mattress.

After a week his weight was checked and the doctor was perplexed when it had increased. He could not underrstand why the treatment failed. Mr Hungry confessed that he could not stay away from food athough he was dtill having indigestion. The surgeon lost patience and became furious. He told the patient that he must remove his stomach to cure him. He was given a delay to decide if he agreed about the operation.

Finally,having taken a firm resolution concerning his health, Mr Hungry consented to the surgery. The next day he was wheeled to the operation theatre for gastrectomy.As soon as the anaesthetist started to sedate him something fantastic happened to him. He was lost in a dream. He visualised that he was dining in a luxurious restaurant whereby elegant waiters were serving him different varieties of delicious dishes. This pleasant situation brought water to his mouth.With all the secretions iin the alimetary tract, the anaesthetist informed the surgeon to postpone the operation as the patient was unfit

When Mr Hungry recovered in the ward the doctor came to inquire if he was still interested with the operation. He was reluctant and related the dream to the surgeon. He asserted that it was a forewarning from his subconscious mind not to deprive him of his only pleasure in life. As there was no further treatment the patient was discharged from the hospital with a trolley ladden with the remaining foodstuff.
© Copyright 2012 Boz (jaguar at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1865834-Food-is-more-important-to-me-than-air