*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1865889-The-little-green-dress
by Aelyah
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · History · #1865889
A 15th century story with a twist - 5929 words.
Stan huddled under the musty wall of the keep, hidden from sight. He will not cry. Tears are for girls his father said, and he was not a girl. He shook his head fervently. Tears threatened and he covered the gash on his leg with his small hand, propping his head on his knees. He stood there long enough to miss the older boy approaching and leaning against the wall.
The blood stopped and the pain subsided. Stan tore a strip of linen from his shirt and wrapped it hastily around his calf. He pushed up with his hands and struggled to rise.
'You know?...' the older boy said, making short work of a knife and a piece of wood.
Stan looked up with a start, sprung to his feet and assumed the stance.
'...you might want to loosen the bandage on your leg and maybe clean it up a bit. It wouldn't do to fester, would it?', the older boy continued unperturbed.
Stan looked at his leg, then warily at the boy.
'My name is Niklaus', the boy said, offering his hand. 'I am lord Bade's son, we arrived a short time ago'.
'...and heir', Stan filled in silently. He accepted the offered hand and did his best to shake it powerfully as his father expected. He then looked at his leg and Niklaus nodded encouragingly.
Stan reached for the bandage when Niklaus crouched and untied it. He pulled the wineskin from his belt and winked:
'It stings but it will keep you out of trouble'.
Tears stung Stan's eyes again but he willed them back with all his might. Niklaus was already wrapping the linen around his calf and tying a tidy knot. He straightened and motioned Stan to walk with him.
Stan tensed, only his father could order him around. Should he reveal he is lord Ioannis' son or keep the charade a bit more? He smiled. Charades was what he did best.
'I'm glad you feel better, lad', Niklaus said. 'Go to your mother. Would you know by chance where I could find Lord Stan? His father would see him immediately'
'I will tell him if I see him, my lord. Now I must see my mother. Thank you for your kindness.' and he rushed towards the servant's quarters. At least one part was the truth, he had to see his mother.

Shortly after, his metal clad steps resonated through the main hall. He kept his pace steady as his father expected. He advanced confidently with the helm under his elbow and stopped before Ioannis.
Stan suppressed a grin when Niklaus' jaw slacked in astonishment. He ignored it and bowed curtly before his father.
Ioannis motioned to his son to take the place at his right. Only then Stan noticed the crowd gathered in the hall and gulped.
Ioannis raised his hand and asked for silence.
"Our prince honored us with his trust and exquisite gifts. Today we will show our loyalty by pledging what we have most sacred and dear to his service."
Ioannis looked at Stan and then bowed to the dusty man sitting ten paces away. The messenger nodded towards Ioannis and Bade with a motion to continue. Ioannis signaled the guards to open the doors. Two messengers carrying a couple of big boxes approached and put their load on the floor before Ioannis.
'Repeat after me, Stan: today we pledge our lives, loyalty and support to our prince, the Dragon, to his sons and the freedom of our land.'
Puzzled, Stan obeyed his father. Ioannis invited the messengers to unveil the first gift. A collective gasp resounded as everyone admired the exquisite saddle with intricate silver embossing.
'It is time to have a proper saddle', my son, Ioannis said. 'May it forever be with you as a reminder of the oath we took today'
Although only 7 he loved riding.  A wave of happiness washed over Stan. He never dreamed of such a beautiful saddle. The importance of the oath slipped away as he neared the saddle and touched it shyly. Ioannis cut short his enjoyment signaling him to return to his place.
The messenger unveiled an intricately carved sword. Bade and Ioannis were speechless for a moment as they well knew it was coming from the masters in Toledo.
Bade took the sword and presented it to Niklaus. The boy received it with trembling hands and a bowed head while reciting the oath with his father. He never met anyone of the house of the Dragon but he knew, right then, nobody will ever come between him and his oath.
Ioannis dismissed the assembly and invited Bade and the messenger in his private office. Before Niklaus could ask any questions, Stan hurried to join his mother and disappeared together in her private quarters.

Later that afternoon, Niklaus knew he was intruding. The wall beckoned and he wagered with his father's squire he could climb it. He found his footing and pushed over the edge of the wall. To his surprise the ground on this side seemed closer. There was a canopy right under his foot, hiding probably a bench. He could jump just in front of it. He balanced on the edge, pushed with his legs and kept his body low. He landed gracefully right in front of the canopy and turned.
A sharp sting in the corner of one eye made him let out a sharp cry. He covered his face with his hands trying to remove the offending object. A punch on his side made him double. When he regained his breath and could open his eyes there was nobody in front of him. He turned fast but all he could catch was a glimpse of a green dress and a mass of deep brown curls sneaking through the terrace door.
The door closed and Niklaus wondered who the girl in Ioannis' household could be. A niece? He thought he might ask his father. On a second thought he couldn't. He broke the trust of his host by breaking into a private area. This mystery could wait until he found a way to exit the garden. He studied the canopy and found a dent to place his foot. He pushed and grabbed the edge of the wall. His eye stung and he winced in pain as his ribs reminded him of the blow.  He did his best to ignore the pain but descending the wall proved to be much harder than going up.
Once he reached the base of the wall, it dawned on him... She could have blinded him but she didn't. He held his ribs. The well placed blow couldn't be just luck.  He blew the air in frustration. The one question he was dying to ask couldn't be asked...

The years passed but Niklaus' obsession with the green dress and the identity of its owner remained.

Niklaus scanned the windows and not finding what he was looking for headed for the entrance. Tamas' castle was lit with colorful lanterns. Music seeped through the doors, and the smile on the guests' faces witnessed the party's grand success.
He kept his eyes on the crowd, and mechanically went through the ceremony announcing his presence. A lesser noble, the loud announcement didn't stir much interest. He finally saw the mass of brown curls he was seeking and made his way through the thick crowd. He stopped before her and bowed deeply:
'I trust you are having a great time, lady Erzsbet. Would you do me the honor of the next dance?'
Erzsbet smiled and measured him. Her smile didn't reach her eyes, but she answered coquettishly:
'Maybe, Sir Niklaus, maybe'.
Niklaus started to frown; his eyes darkening his already sun-kissed face.
Erzsbet extended her hand and answered: 'Let's dance, my lord'.
Niklaus expelled a deep breath and took her hand. He led her to the dancing floor and cursed inwardly his tendency to stumble. He must not squander his only chance to impress the beautiful Erzsbet.
He was already taken with the green dress she wore, in perfect harmony with her curls and the chocolate of her eyes. He stopped himself from raking her shapely figure, only augmented by the perfect cut of the dress. Was he imagining, or was she swaying her hips in an inviting call, above the property of the dance?
He held her hand and squeezed it gently. She answered with a stronger than proper squeeze of her own and a direct look. All was going well, and it gave him a heady sensation. Too well, a little voice in the back of his head whispered. He muted the voice, and they parted and met again with the music.
'Green dresses are becoming on you, Lady Erzsbet' Niklaus tried.
She smiled again the smile which didn't reach her eyes.
'Why, it is my favorite color, Sir Niklaus, since I was a little child.'
Niklaus stilled for a moment, enough to miss the step and stumble. He cursed inwardly and murmured a humble apology.
'Could Erzsbet be the girl of long years past?' he mused silently.
Erzsbet took his arm and lead him to the open doors. He gratefully accepted; despite the fresh night air, the doublet was tight about his neck and cold sweat trickled between his shoulder blades.
Niklaus wasn't sure how they arrived at the green maze behind the castle. Alone with the much sought after Erzsbet, he tried to convince himself her wealth and position had no connection with the excitement engulfing him.
The cold sweat on his back reminded him of her revelation. He must know if Erzsbet was the girl he wondered about all these years. 'What were you doing twelve years ago in Ioannis' castle' was out of question, so he hung onto the only thread he had: the green dress.
'My Lady, and yet this is the first I see you in a green dress' he continued their previous conversation.
'I must be careful what I wear at court, my lord, and you have seldom seen me in my castle.' she answered with an almost disappointed look.
'How I long to repair this, Erzsbet.' he said, a brooding darkness descending in his eyes. He pulled her close and kissed her with a longing gathered for twelve long years.
He must have done something right, as Erzsbet warmed to his touch and responded to his invitation. He struggled to get control of himself, of his honor but failed. Guilt and need threw him in a haze that left him struggling for air. The salvation came in her unexpected proposition:
'I know a better place, my lord. Follow me.'
'I... can't' he stammered. He knew if he followed there will be no turning back. He wanted Erzsbet. He would marry her if God allowed, in a church and with Tamas's blessing.
'Oh, my lord, I was merely suggesting you see the dresses you show so much interest in.', she blushed.
She seemed appalled of the implication and continued: 'My father will notice my absence, you may call on me tomorrow.' She stomped away leaving Niklaus breathing heavily with an anger he could only turn on himself.

The hours dragged, and Niklaus got little sleep. He dressed and was at Erzsbet's receiving quarters as early as etiquette allowed. His hope for a private apology was crushed when he found her solar buzzing with guests. He barely dared to look at her when she offered him her brightest smile. It still didn't reach her eyes, but he was too enthralled to notice.
'Sir Niklaus is a lover of the color green and admires my green dresses a great deal.' she spoke with mirth.
'Let's look at my green dresses and remember the old days.' she laughed. Hand clapping and laughter met her suggestion. She signaled the servant at the door to push the big trunk in the room.
'Miklos, pick up a dress and tell me what your remember.' she smiled at her brother.
Miklos pulled a dress and looked at her: 'You wore this when you were presented at Dragon's court. He looked at Niklaus: 'I remember, Niklaus and that puny spawn of Ioannis were presented to the Dragon that day too. They were both shaking and solemnly gazing at him, as he was God or something' he guffawed.
Niklaus frowned, trying to recall the moment; he would have never missed brown curls and a green dress.
'You didn't think Tamas's daughter would be presented with the likes of Bade and Ioannis, didn't you?' he smirked.
'Look what I found.' one of the giggling ladies exclaimed. She pulled what it seemed an old child's dress. 'Is this yours, Erzsbet?' she wrinkled her nose.
Niklaus stilled, and he made a good effort to keep his eyes from growing the size of small platters.
'Er... yes... I almost forgot about it.' she frowned and gave Miklos a warning look.
'A child must live with the mistakes of a dowdy governess.' she laughed. 'Poor thing, she didn't have one fashion bone in her.'
The young lady dropped the dress back into the trunk as it burned her.
Niklaus advanced to Erzsbet, took her hand and kissed it gently. He then turned and left the room. He would make Erzsbet his wife, now that he found her, or die trying.

The day was young and Niklaus waited outside Tamas's office. Lord Bade was accompanying him, and he seemed none too happy. A servant opened the door and motioned them to enter.
Lord Tamas sat in his chair before the fire. He signaled both to join him on the opposite bench. Lord Bade bowed curtly and sat. Niklaus offered a smile, a deep bow and dared a handshake. Tamas returned it, surprising both Niklaus and Bade.
'Please sit, son. What brings you here?' he asked, although, Niklaus guessed, he knew well.
'My Lord, I am most honored to ask for your daughter's hand in marriage.' he solemnly announced.
His figure was grave and Tamas didn't seem to notice the white knuckles drumming on Niklaus' thighs.
'You are in luck, my son. The difference in wealth and status stands firm against this union, but in my old age, I find I cannot stand against the happiness of my only daughter. There are several conditions. You must convert to our Catholic faith, and pledge your fealty to our house.' he answered with a tone which precluded any negotiation.
Lord Bade blanched and raised.
'It is time to go, son.' he announced, heading for the door.
Niklaus' pleading eyes begged him to stay, but Bade would not be swayed. He strode out of the room
Conflicting thoughts warred on Niklaus's face. Tamas bid his time. He poured wine into a goblet sitting on the small round table near his chair and sipped it slowly.
Niklaus raised his head and said with a voice of steel:
'Very well, Lord Tamas, you will have my oath after Erzsbet, and I speak our vows. '
Tamas needed no other proof for he knew the foolish loyalty of the pup. He just hoped Erzsbet wasn't as taken with the lad as she seemed.

Niklaus made good on his promise. He joined Miklos and Tamas's army on their raids
The horses were breathing hard on the steep slope. The raiding party advanced slowly, in a single file on the narrow mountain path. The man in the front of the line seemed tense, and focused on keeping control of his horse. Niklaus sighed and rolled his shoulders to relieve some of the tension and maybe frustration.
It was unusually cold, even for a mountain pass, and Niklaus tightened the cloak around him. The steam was rising from horse and man alike and the knights hunched, trying to keep warm.
A screech and a loud noise startled him, and his horse reared. Struggling to keep control of his own horse, he watched helplessly as Peter's horse skidded on the rubble.
'Peter, jump now!' Niklaus yelled and looked horrified at them sliding down in the deep ravine.
Niklaus dismounted and looked down the crevasse. The horse lay broken in a pool of blood on a ledge about 20 feet below. At his feet, Peter lay precariously over a ledge protruding from the ravine wall.
'Fast, bring me a rope!' yelled Niklaus
A long faced knight dismounted and took the rope out of his saddle bag and threw it to Niklaus.
Niklaus wound the rope against a sturdy looking stone on the edge of the path and looked meaningfully at the long-faced knight.
'Ianos, I will need all the help I can get.'
Ianos shoot a furtive glance towards Miklos and nodded. Niklaus deftly swung the rope, and its end coiled around Peter. They drew ragged breaths when they finally dragged Peter up on the confined path.
Niklaus pulled Peter's helmet and looked at his closed eyes and the trickle of blood oozing from his mouth.
'Peter, wake up! Niklaus called. He gently shook his face when he received no answer.
Niklaus startled when Miklos kicked Peter with a loud thud.
'You are delaying us. He's dead. Let's go. His horse is gone and this sorry knight... ', Miklos underlined with another loud kick in Peter's armor '…is useless.' He motioned at both Niklaus and Ianos to mount their horses and follow him. Both knights nodded curtly and were grateful for their helmets hiding the scowl on their faces.
Niklaus waited for Miklos to turn around and dropped fast on his knees.
'God be with you, Peter." He slid the wine skin in the crook of Peter's arm and put a couple of coins in his hand, closing his gloved hand around it. He mounted and with a last glance at his friend, he spurred his horse forward.

Niklaus looked up at the sky. Big snowflakes were dancing in the sharp wind. He glanced furtively at Miklos and then turned and looked back with a sigh. His eyes tried to pierce through the dense streams of snowflakes. Helpless, he tightened the cloak around his body with a barely visible shiver. He looked in Miklos' direction and met his eyes. Miklos motioned him to approach, and Niklaus could barely hide his surprise. He rode his horse near Miklos.
'You grew up on these lands. Does it always snow in October?'
'No, my lord, it never snowed at this time of the year.'
The cold sipping through his armor gave him an unusual boldness.
'Might I suggest, my lord, to stop and weather the snow storm in a covered place? The knights need to remove their armors to avoid frostbite."
Miklos' steel countenance didn't falter.
'We ride.' gritted Miklos under almost chattering teeth.
'My lord, I know of a cave within a mile distance, large enough to fit the knights in our party. We could tie the horses behind a ledge for the night.' added Niklaus.
Miklos turned to the white-bearded man riding to his left. The man partly turned and nodded.
'We will stop and remove the armors. The padded gambeson and the thick cloaks will protect you enough.... ladies.', he grunted.
'You can return to your place, Niklaus.', Miklos continued, stressing 'your place'. Niklaus frowned and gripped his sword.
'I mean... Sir Niklaus,' Miklos added with a smirk.

Huddled in the cave, the knights warmed their hands at the small fires dotting the floor.
'This is harsh weather, my lord. It might be hard living up here I'd say. I wonder how our Lady Erzsbet will fare once she is wed.' Ianos said, obviously not aware of the deal between Niklaus and Tamas.
'I believe she is familiar with the weather. She visited Ioannis' castle as a child.' Niklaus answered.
'You mean my sister Erzsbet?' Miklos sputtered. 'What made you think my parents would ever allow my sister to go in that Godforsaken place?'
Niklaus froze, and heat crept through his body. The look on the white-bearded man's face made Miklos swallow his words, and Niklaus see through Erzsbet's betrayal.
He was grateful he stayed behind and didn't remove his armors. He strode out of the cave without heeding Miklos' threats. He mounted his horse and rode him hard through the night, mindless of the dangers of the mountain pass.

The white lather on his horse brought him back to reality. His anger subsided and when he could think clearly, the questions pounded until only one remained: 'Why didn't _she_ trust him with the truth?'. The white expanse of snow and the cold sipping through his armor spurred him to seek refuge at the inn several leagues down the road. If the road led him to the Dragon prince's army, it was as well. He had an oath to keep.

The winter turned into spring and the spring turned into summer. The armors weighed heavily on the drenched bodies. Armies of brothers faced each other, fighting for princes of the same blood, bearing the same name. Niklaus felt his heart beating hard under the coiled dragon tattoo. There will be no forgiveness today, only revenge, the look in his prince's eyes said while leading the charge.
Niklaus pulled his helmet off, and his dark hair fell to his shoulders. He raised his sword and charged forward with a bitter laugh.
Damn Dochia for giving him love but not her trust. Damn Erzsbet for giving him hope but not the truth. Damn his father for expecting him to be who he is not. And goddamn himself for letting them drag him into this mess.

He parried a sword, dodged a lance, but he couldn't avoid the ax that fell hard on his back, piercing through his armor. His eyes were wild with fury and startled the ax wielding knight when he turned to face him. Just a the fraction of a second, allowing Niklaus to drive his sword through his middle. With a cry, he swung his sword in a large arc, watching with satisfaction the widening gap between him and his enemies. He will die this day, taking with him as many enemies as he could manage.
Someone was bound to tell this story, and he will have her trust.
Niklaus looked at a stunned Miklos and laughed. Erzsbet will know now the truth. He lounged and Miklos's men who didn't run at his laugh fell on his sword. Erzsbet will feel the sour taste of treason. The Dragon prince's army railed up, and he felt the victory inebriating close. He looked at his fellow soldiers and raised his sword: 'we fight... until the end' He was finally the son his father wanted. His revenge was complete.

***

The knight wore a light, cuir bouilli armor. He was making his way quietly towards the gregarious group of knights assembled around the fire, the dark-brown shade of his armor blending with the night.

Duncan recognized him and wondered what the 'scrawny spawn of Ioannis' and Dragon prince's secret right hand was looking for.

The knights wore the blue and gold colors of Tamas's house. They didn't seem to care about their load as none of them glanced at the goods wagon they were hired to protect.
The leather-clad knight approached the wagon with great care. He glanced for a moment at the wooden chest. Its engravings hinted at a small hidden treasure. Duncan knew it wasn't. The knight knew it too as he appraised again the loud group and turned to a coarse trunk on the wagon's edge.
He made short work of picking the lock and ruffled through what it seemed discarded clothing. He pulled a green child's dress, hugged it to his heart and stared.
Duncan sucked in a breath willing stop the anger threatening to overcome him. It took only a moment to regain his bearing, enough to miss the drunken warrior approaching the knight with a leering grin.
'You be a handsome lad' the drunk knight leered again
The knight in cuir bouilli reached at his belt to pull his dagger when his opponent's words ended in a bloody gurgle. Duncan wiped his black knife and motioned for silence.
'Gyorgy, who are you talking to? ', an approaching voice inquired.
Duncan rushed to her side and breathed:
'Stan, pack your bloody dress and run! '
The surprise showed on Stan's face for a moment, and he turned to leave.
Duncan engaged the approaching knight and dispatched him rapidly. The scuffle sounds alerted the rest of the group. Swords drawn, they were closing the distance, and fifteen knights were too many to face.
He crossed himself and prayed he will make it in time to his horse. In the same breath, he cursed when he saw Stan saddled and prepared for battle.
'Told you to run...' Duncan hissed between his teeth
'We cover each other...' Stan replied engaging the first drunken knight in the group.
Duncan nodded curtly and parried the blow aimed at him.
After a while Duncan saw Stan's strength failing. He wasn't faring much better.
'Time to run!' he mouthed in Latin.
Stan nodded in agreement, turned his mount and spurred it in a frantic gallop. Duncan followed and led the drunken knights towards the wooded hills.
He entered the forest and headed to the ravine. The path continued on the edge of the crevasse, first left, then right and veering suddenly to the left again. The sight was nauseating for a sober body. It was surely daunting after imbibing the local sweet brandy. Duncan grimaced with disgust but promised to appreciate more its abilities to thwart an enemy.
He paid no attention to the loud thump and bloodcurdling cry he heard when one of his attackers fell down into the deep ravine. He spurred his horse to the top and disappeared on the other side.

It was eerie silent, and the full moon lit up the path before him. After making sure once again nobody followed him, he turned into the forest. If his guess was right, he knew where to find Stan. He burned to ask him about the dress and its owner.
He rolled his shoulders. He was there when the Dragon prince found out of Niklaus' death. Stan was there, he remembered, and for a moment, in full armor, staying near the prince, their eyes glimmered with the same lethal knowledge. Nothing remained of Tamas and Miklos, their lands forfeit. The prince made sure Erzsbet's traitorous kin all but disappeared.

Would he and Peter had told Niklaus how they knew Erzsbet, would have he listened? However, they didn't. Now Niklaus was dead, and he was left with guilt lapping at his conscience.
Then why did Niklaus whispered him to find the owner of the dress? And why he felt his dying words didn't ask for punishment but for protection?

Duncan entered the clearing and glanced toward the lake. The slender figure cast against the backdrop of the blue lake stole his breath.
A tangle of wet curls moistened the shirt just above her breasts. Straight legs showed from the shift covering them midtigh.
He sucked in a breath and licked his sudden dry lips.
The girl raised her head and looked at the intruder. In the pale moonlight reflected in the water she recognized him. This time he didn't wear that awful skirt but a pair of leather breeches and a light armor. She remembered that day before the tournament. She was training, and with every hit on the dummy, her confidence was growing, and she could see herself winning. Her smile was turning into a grin as she let herself slide in the strike-duck-parry dance. Invincible! That's how she imagined the knights must feel when victory is within their grasp.

He must have recognized her because he covered the few paces separating them and silently took her in his arms. His chin rested on her head, and he closed his eyes. He felt her shaking, then tense, and his hands went in a comforting motion up and down her arms.

He opened his eyes, and noticed the dress. He felt the anger swelling in him.

'I didn't know you for a thief, why did you steal the dress? ', he asked.
'Because it is mine. It always was mine.' she added between gritted teeth.

Duncan stilled and pushed her away. He felt the bitter taste of bile in his mouth.

The look of steel returned to her face.

'And it will always be! Nobody will take hi... it from me! Never again! '

Before he knew, she retrieved her sword and the dress from the ground and stood ready to face him. She clutched the sword's pommel. Tight. She then relaxed her grip and assumed the stance. She flexed her thumb and reveled in its soreness. Just like that day before the tournament.

He engaged her with a blow that resonated through her bones. That day she dropped the sword, now she held.

'Niklaus met or rather discovered a girl in Ioannis' castle when he was but a lad. She wore a green dress. Just like the one you have in your hands.'
Stan answered with an attack to his side. He dodged.

'He was so taken with the… dress' he looked at her accusingly.

Stan closed her eyes for a second, enough for Duncan to lounge. She recovered, dodged and managed to stay unscathed. The dress didn't. A long slash on its skirt marred now its beauty.

Her face clouded.

'You pig headed...boor' she stammered and lounged towards Duncan. He didn't expect the low, fast blow and felt the sharp sting on his left arm.
'Mistake number 2, antagonizing your enemy.' she drawled his words. He remembered the day before the tournament, when he discovered... the beautiful girl fancying herself a knight, sorely in need of a lesson.

'You pulled the veil on everyone's eyes for years, you lying wench' he hissed and targeted the dress again.

'That I did! And I paid dearly for it' she sighed.

He was unprepared for the admission and paid with another sting, in his side.

'Mistake number 3' she started but he didn't let her finish,

'Niklaus' knew you weren't a man, didn't he? What with your slender figure, silky curls and large brown eyes, so sad that would make any man...'

Stan dropped her sword arm and looked at him with her said large brown eyes. Only this time they weren't sad but bewildered and several shades darker. Pink crept up her cheeks and Duncan could feel the awareness growing between them.

Duncan caught himself and remembered the vile creature he was dealing with.
'You don't deny it, don't you?'
She shook her head. 'And Miklos… and I suspect Erzsbet and Tamas shortly after. A bribe well placed and secrets will be spilled...' she sighed.
Duncan gasped.
'You knew it too.', she caught herself smiling. He aggravated her that day; she was about to blurt an angry 'who do you think you are' when he turned and saluted her with two fingers on the edge of his silly bonnet. 'Duncan' he said.
Duncan didn't smile back but pressed on:
'You repaid his love with the one thing you know... Deception! He offered for that traitorous wench, why didn't he offer for you?'

Stan looked at him, and remorse showed in her eyes.
'Deception has been my constant companion....' She dropped her sword.
'I loved him, and I thought he loved me; until he asked me about the dress. There was so much longing in his eyes, eagerness, hope. I denied the dress was mine...'
Duncan found himself unable to contain his anger. And something else he faintly recognized as desire.
'I let her take him.' she continued.
'Once I did, I found I didn't have any fight left. I didn't want anything she had...'

Duncan spat on the ground. Trails of tears were streaming quietly on her cheeks. Duncan fought for breath. Had she raised her sword again against him, he would have slain her without a thought. He resented the doubts her tears cast on his righteous rage.
He grabbed her hair and tried to ignore its silkiness. He dropped his sword and grabbed her shirt and forced her up. She resisted, and the shirt gave way.
There it was, on her heaving chest, right above her heart the coiling image of the dragon.

That couldn't be.

He sucked in a breath, lifted his hands as burned and let her fall.
Her eyes were now dark and unmoving.
'My name is Dochia, Duncan. I am guilty of many things, including deception. There is one thing you are mistaken about: I never asked Niklaus to forsake his oath...' She lightly touched her heart as she spoke.

'Pride, Duncan. It was the deadly sin of pride that stopped me from telling the truth to Niklaus. The truth about the dress…' she fiddled with her shirt, 'the truth about… my love.' Her eyes bore into him, telling him she knew about his dalliances with Erzsbet. She dared him to tell his reasons of shielding the truth.
Determination was back in her eyes, and her jaw was set. Gone was the vulnerable girl of which he got a glimpse earlier. This only strengthened his opinion of her deceptive ways.

As if she read his thoughts she continued:
'I am thrilled of your err... appreciation. Although for one moment, I thought you'd follow through and end this life of deceit. What a disappointment. What would one expect from a man in skirts? ', she taunted.

She donned her leather vest to cover her torn shirt and picked up the rest of her clothing.

In three steps, Duncan reached her. He wrapped his arms around her and whispered in her ear.
'I saw desire in your eyes, deny it.', he challenged her. 'Stay with me tonight, you have my promise nothing will happen that you don't want'.
He turned her in his arms and opened his shirt until she saw the same coiled dragon above his heart. She wasn't mistaken then; he was 'one of the few'. She knew he will keep his promise. She nodded and trembled when his lips came down on hers. So much for… and then she realized he didn't break any promise; there was nothing she didn't want.

Duncan released her and motioned her to start gathering wood for the campfire. Soon a small, playful fire burned in front of them. Conversation flowed, and they shared her food and his sweet brandy flagon.
'Carpe Diem' whispered Duncan before retiring for the night.

Exhausted, Dochia covered her face with her hands, her elbows resting on her knees. The images played repeatedly in her mind. It was Niklaus asking permission for her first kiss. And later, his heated embrace. Her timid attempt at intimacy and his trembling hand stopping her: 'I... cannot'. Anger built in her, as always. The sting of denial still burned. Growing up in the lists, she had little understanding of the obscure boundary separating honor and rejection.

Why didn't she press on? Stopping made perfect sense then, but she forgot why. The ache in her heart came back with a vengeance. Her thoughts were mocking her: 'Niklaus is gone and there is nothing you can do. There are no second chances, seize the moment, or you'll regret it forever.'

'Carpe Diem' she muttered.

Dochia flexed her hands and stood boldly. The girl she was died with Niklaus. She wasn't anymore the gauche offspring of a lesser lord. This time she will seize the day.

'Carpe Diem' she whispered and purposefully strode into the dark.

© Copyright 2012 Aelyah (aelyah at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1865889-The-little-green-dress