*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1866198-Elizabeth-Peters-Mystery-and-Romance
Rated: E · Review · Reviewing · #1866198
Review of writer Elizabeth Peters and her historical mysteries in 19th century Egypt.
Enter the world of archaeology in the early 19th Century; a world of intrigue, romance, danger, and discovery set in Egypt and England. This is the world created by writer Elizabeth Peters, also known as Barbara Mertz and Barbara Michaels. Her love of archaeology was the inspiration behind this delightful and exciting series, the Amelia Peabody Series, as well as other works she has written.

Born in Illinois, Barbara did not want to become a writer; rather she wanted to become an archaeologist. After high school, she attended the University of Chicago to study archaeology. However, positions in Egyptology were scarce during the war years (World War II); she got married instead. As she raised her children, a love of mysteries developed as well as her love for archaeology. Her first books were not mysteries but about the Ancient Egyptians. The web site, http://www.mpmbooks.com/, contains more information about her life and writings. The site contains a complete biography, listing of books, chat areas, and more.

The Amelia Peabody series of mysteries that are set in the early 19th century England and Egypt are my favorites. Amelia Peabody and her husband, Radcliff Emerson are the central characters around which all the intrigue and adventure are centered. Ramses, their son, and Nefret, their adopted daughter, are the perfect foils for the problems created by their parents. Amelia seems to attract trouble wherever she goes; Emerson is left to unravel the mess leading to sometimes hilarious situations and, eventually, the solution to the mystery.

Archaeology, a secret passion of mine, is what first attracted me to the series; along with a love of mysteries. Early 19th century England and Egypt come alive as the Emerson family and friends seek to make a magnificent find in Egypt and unravel the mysteries they stumble upon. Character development and interactions along with researched details in Egyptian history keep the reader drawn to the story; the reader cannot wait until the next book in the series comes out. Having read the entire series of 28 books, I am waiting with bated breath for the next adventure to see what dangers the Emerson family will encounter next. The action moves rapidly in each adventure keeping the reader glued to the book or e-reader until the mystery is solved.


© Copyright 2012 booklover3 (booklover3 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1866198-Elizabeth-Peters-Mystery-and-Romance