*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1866377-Chapter-One--The-Request
by kayla
Rated: E · Short Story · Legal · #1866377
a psychologist challenges the court when she helps her sister gain custody of her son
"I know I'm not supposed to say anything, but I absolutely must tell someone."

The office was muggy, hot. The windows were cracked but I felt as though all the oxygen had been sucked from the room.

"You can tell me," I reassured, leaning forward and putting my hands on my desk.

Olivia sighed, her shoulders slumping down as she did so. "Carmen, I can't." She whispered.

"Liv, please. You know nothing leaves these four walls."

Olivia was one of my more reserved clients. She had her share of problems but was almost always honest and she never stretched the truth. I could trust her.\

"I want him back," she blurted. "I want my Joey back."

"I don't understand--"

"Nate has my baby boy and he refuses to let me see him." Her voice cracked, tears streaming down her face. "He doesn't belong there."

"What is it you want me to do?"

"Can't you do a psych eval on him?" She pleaded.

I gave a soft laugh. "Liv, I can't just find him 'insane' because you want me to."

"Testify against him. You know what a monster he is."

"But--"

"Fine, you don't want to help me? I'm taking it to court." She took the back of her hand and wiped the tears from her eyes before raising herself quickly out of the chair and turning her back.

"I'll try." I began slowly. "I promise I will do everything in my power to help."

Olivia turned toward me. "You're saying that because you pity me."

"No, I give you my empathy. I want you to have your son back." I lied.

She gave a slight nod. "Okay, then." She walked out of my office quietly.

I leaned back, clutching the coffee mug in my hand and exhaled slowly. I had just agreed to help my sister get her son back. And I didn't believe she deserved him.
© Copyright 2012 kayla (kaylaelizabeth at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1866377-Chapter-One--The-Request