*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1866443-Late-night-wonder
Rated: E · Fiction · Emotional · #1866443
A crippled solider in a land without music witnesses a strange happening late at night.
      I woke with a start, my heart beating rapidly as I struggled to free myself from the tangle of sweat soaked sheets. Finally kicking free I swung my legs over the side of the bed. My bare toes gently easing onto the cold hard stone floor as I tried to determine the hour. The god of fire was far beyond the mountains, replaced by the shining silver of the goddess and a million twinkling souls. I had woken in the middle of the goddess's  journey once again, for the third time this week.

         I pushed myself off of the bed and limped cross the floor to the window overlooking the meadow on the far side of my room. My eyebrow raised slightly in surprise-there was a strange woman standing in the meadow looking up at the Goddess, her long brown hair flowing down her back. She began to move in a way that i've never seen before. It was graceful and elegant, she leaped over the grass and bent with the wind. Her delicate blue dress trailing along in a most pleasing fashion. Then she spoke, but her words were like no other I had heard, despite them being in my own tongue. She was telling a familiar tale of two lovers trapped in the cave of eternity but the way she told the story, the words she used flowed together in harmony. 

         I thought nothing else could surprise me when a man, clothed only in brown trouser's and a blue vest appeared in the field beside the maiden. He held some sort of wooden tube which he pressed to his lips and the most beautiful sorrow spilled forth.

         The two circled each other almost warily before moving in a series of complicated steps, by the end of the story they were right in front of each other there was a moment of pure silence before the man meaningfully raised the tube to his mouth once more and pure happiness flowed from the strange object. The blue lady began to move again, this time she was faster, more energetic-happier. I found myself smiling for the first time in a long time as the two leaped, kicked, and twirled about the meadow.

         The lady did not speak this time as she moved, presumably because it took so much energy to move as she did. The man spun as his fingers nearly blurred along the tube I had to squint to see it, The tube seemed to have a series of holes in a straight line that when he blew on the last hole, depending on where his fingers were, it made a different sound. It was probably hollow I mused to myself as I watched. They finished that story on opposite ends of the small field wordlessly they bowed to each other then to the goddess, and finally much to my surprise, to me. Not knowing what else to do I bowed to each of them in turn and the next thing I knew they were gone.

         I stood by the window for at least another hour, not wanting to break the magical feeling I had but when my leg threatened to collapse on me I was forced back to bed. That night I dreamed of the two beings-for surely no human could produce anything close to what I saw. The next morning When I awoke I lay in my bed sure it has all been a dream. People that moved like that couldn't exist, i'd have heard of it.

         With a groan I forced myself up out of bed, grabbing the cane that sat against the wall. I hobbled to my desk, It would do good to finish some of the paperwork before Thomas came in with breakfast.

         As I passed the window something caught my eye. Sitting there on the window sill was a strange looking wooden tube with hole's along one side. Very delicately I reached out, afraid that if I touched it, the object would disappear. My hand closed around the cool wood and I picked it up gently, as if the lightest touch would shatter the thing of wonder. Then ever so tenderly I brought it to my lips as I had seen the man do and blew. I no longer felt the pain in my leg, or the cold floor, while I played the tube. All I felt was joy, and for the second time I smiled.

         
© Copyright 2012 Allson Gimplet (skatree12 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1866443-Late-night-wonder