*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1867312-His-Honor-the-Mayor
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Fiction · Animal · #1867312
Midnight Lovey, an elegant black cat
The idea of running for office at first seemed ridiculous, but the more I thought about it, the more sense it made. Why couldn’t I do as well as someone else? I’m smart, attractive, friendly, and personable. I realize I don’t have the campaign experience like others, but I think with a little help, I’ll be able to get my message out to everyone.

The current mayor seems a little forgetful, lately. He’s been in the job for more than twenty years and has become complacent and disengaged. I think the mayor needs to retire and someone younger take the helm.

This town is growing, and the need for organization and planning is vital. I know I have as much savvy as any other candidate to guide our hometown into the future. We need to plan for residents’ activities, public use areas, and traffic control. So far, our mayor hasn’t seen the need to address any of these issues, but taxpayers deserve to have their interests considered.

Personally, I have a special place in my heart for the pets in our community. The laws and policies of our town need to be enforced to protect animals and people alike. Our Animal Control department needs additional equipment that reads implanted identification so pets can be returned to their owners expeditiously. No matter how careful an owner is animals occasionally escape or somehow get out of their protective enclosures and end up run over by cars or trucks, attacked by other animals or people, or picked up by Animal Control and euthanized. Abuse and neglect are also dangers as are puppy and kitty farms, which need to be shut down, and owners fined and punished.

My first step will be persuading my kind and intelligent owner to put my name on the ballot and rally everyone I know to support and vote for me. I think my name and likeness will look striking on a campaign poster. A candid picture of me sitting regally like Bastet, feline goddess of ancient Egypt, in my silky black coat and wearing my elegant yellow collar and red heart identification tag should present the correct image to the public. MIDNIGHT LOVEY would be displayed in large black letters above my portrait and the words FOR MAYOR - 2012 beneath my image.

I’ve been thinking about my campaign pledge, too. It must be strong and definite and placed prominently on my poster to assure everyone of my commitment to them:
“Intelligent leadership for ALL members of the community.”


Please give me serious consideration on Election Day. I know I can do the job as well or better than any human on the ballot, and my purr is known to lower tensions and blood pressure. I’m the purrfect candidate!
© Copyright 2012 Dee Dee (duggand at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1867312-His-Honor-the-Mayor