*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1867651-The-Body-Double
Rated: E · Short Story · Sci-fi · #1867651
A billionaire thought he had the perfect plan, but time waits for no one. (Fantasy NL Pck)
Cancer. The very word ripped through Bill’s mind like a steel blade. Three experts. Even with the billions I have. Now, I have only one hope. Time to call Dr. D.

“Hello.”

“Hello, doctor.”

“Bill?”

“Yes, it’s me. Begin the process on him,” Bill stated.

“Yes, sir. It will take two weeks to get him up to your approximate age.”

"Understood."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bill strolled into the lab. Dr. D’s eyes darted between the tank of smoky effluvium, to Bill, and to the clone lying in a cot.

“Liver extraction will not kill the clone. We’ll need to revive him to oxygenate the organs.”

“Can’t you just take the liver now?”

“He has to oxygenate the organ. We need for him to exercise.”

“But he’ll be like an infant.”

“Not so. I’ve integrated your memories into him. He’ll think he’s you from three weeks ago.”

Bill’s face wrinkled and his brow furrowed in concerned thought.

“It’ll be alright.”

“But then you’ll have to kill him.”

“As you wish. You need to go. Go behind the two way mirror. He’ll not understand if you’re here.”

Bill opened the door and began viewing the scene. The clone awoke and the Doctor’s calm demeanor explained the phony tests, physical, and resultant placement on the awaiting treadmill

The Doctor monitored the tests. His head shook at several of the numbers. The clone stopped the treadmill.

“I have to lie down.”

“Go ahead. You have a fever and your breathing is erratic. From all indications… You have liver cancer.”
The clone collapsed on the bed and convulsed. He writhed in agony and wailed in pain. He screamed. The Doctor attempted to calm him, but the accelerant pushed the disease forward and within minutes the clone was dead.


A gunshot rang out from behind the mirror.



299 Words

Flash Story
Must contain the words: steel, face, smoke
Limited to 300 words
© Copyright 2012 BScholl (the0hawk at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1867651-The-Body-Double