*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1868047-Alices-last-stand
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Other · #1868047
A short story that i wrote for a writing class.

The smell of something rancid awoke me. I attempted to sit up but fell to the stone floor. Where was I? Oh yeah. In my best friends’ basement. How did I get there? I don’t know. I slowly crawled to a stained mirror and gasped. A bloody, swollen bump looked at me from my forehead.
    “Well, seems you have finally woken up, Sleeping Beauty,” A dark figure said.
I knew that soft voice. It was Jack.
   
“Jack! How did I get here?” My voice quivered as Jack came into the yellow light.
He wore the same thing he always did, in Wonderland. The same jack of Clubs on his gloves, the same stained green and purple trench coat. Jack’s hair was a bluish color and his eyes were grey.

“Well, Alice, You got dragged here by Rabbit,Hatter, and Tum” His smile was as creepy as Cheshire’s but held no warmth.
    I was watching over my friend’s baby sister, Hadley.  I think  I  had an apple or two, then I was playing with Hadley, I  heard -  what was it  -  oh yes a  clock.  Tick-tock tick-tock. Then I woke up in Jack’s basement. 
    Oh yes, that smell was coming from some mushrooms that seemed like a toddler had colored on them.
    “Why would Rabbit drag me here?” I yelled at Jack.
    Yelling at him made me feel better. We were best friends ever since Wonderland started. But he seemed changed, molded differently these days.  I thought for a moment how long we had been together. We were inseparable!  Since I was of the age where I could toddle I went everywhere with Jack.
    Wonderland was not in my head. It started by someone I am not sure of. All of us live in a town, but  no one leaves Wonderland. It is by far the best. Chocolate that can make you have your head literally in the clouds, cake that makes you as thin as paper and so on. But Wonderland was beginning to die.

I think it was Hadley’s birthday, but, I feel as if my brain is on a drug that makes it foggy.
    Thinking is hard now. The bump on my head throbbed as if a hammer was hitting me.
    Jack floated out of the basement and locked the metal door shut. Good thing i have my shrinking potion with me. I always keep it in my pocket. Shrinking potions are by far disgusting. They taste like a toadstool mixed with vomit. I felt feverish. The sensation of shrinking is as though you are falling from a twenty story building. Okay, if i can just find--That's it! I looked at the metal door and saw a hole that could barely fit me inside.

Once I was outside of the basement  The rancid smell grew more. A twinge of hurt and realization stabbed my in my heart as I doubled over. Jack was not my best friend, he was--The clank of metal on my head was barely audible as I fell to the ground.

“Well, Alice, it seems you figured out my secret.” Jack laughed.

“You! You are destroying wonderland!” I gasped out.

    The truth struck me like a slap. All this time Jack knew I was the most in touch with Wonderland and he used me. My best friend was never what I thought he was. I closed my eyes as the world went white as an explosion shook Wonderland. When I woke up, Jack was not there. He was dead.Wonderland went back into its pace and I was happy. Or so I thought.

    “Well, Alice seems you are just starting a story.” Cheshire laughed hysterically.
I frowned. "Whats that supposed to mean?" Cheshire launched himself into my arms as he purred out,

"A begining,middle and climax is what you've gone through, But no end is near. You have many chapters of mistrust ahead of you,"

"Your talking nonesense!"
"Oh, but you know I'm not," He said as he vanished.

© Copyright 2012 Harlequin (shokerjoker at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1868047-Alices-last-stand